Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

when should you put rear tires in front????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

when should you put rear tires in front????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:09 AM
jaejw1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when should you put rear tires in front????

this is my first time over here,, im an electric guy,,(the enemy) but i have to ask you guys when would be the best time (track condition) for using commonly used rear tires up front.. i have seen them used many times in the magazines and just wanted to know when it is appropriate..... and which type should be used

thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 08:08 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: when should you put rear tires in front????

Many guys run rears on the front all the time

I like to run hole shots front and rear almost all the time, especially on dry/ hard packed tracks
This gives you a little push which helps from over steering in the tight turns.

If it's a little looser I'll run Bowties front and rear for the same reason
When it's very loose I'll run "edges" front and Bowties or Step-pins rear

You need to experiment to see what works for your driving style
Old 09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
jaejw1

well im running proline blades up front now,, i like the results,, im just wondering will my turning improve,,push when it should and turn sharp when it should if i were to use rear tires
Old 09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the track and your preferences. Running a treaded tire on the front can make the vehicle very twitchy and inconsistent, which is why a ribbed tire is usually used. Since that is the case, tracks that have a very stable surface where traction is high can benefit from the added traction to the front to get better steering. The track I run at, http://www.twincityhobby.com/index-old.htm, we run Evil Twins front and rear almost exclusively, check the tire guide. Ribbed front tires will always leave you wanting more steering here.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 AM
jaejw1

ORIGINAL: gubbs3

The track I run at, http://www.twincityhobby.com/index-old.htm . Ribbed front tires will always leave you wanting more steering here.
is that a dirt track... or carpet..,,,,,, looks very smooth
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Great track!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:15 AM
econ909

its a dirt track "Black Dirt" high-grip, ****'s must fly around there. I have nothing but lose tracks around me in San Bernardino, CA.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
gubbs3

It's sort of a clay/black dirt mix. It gets packed down quite hard and has incredible traction when damp. It's pretty smooth except for the few potholes and what is built into the track.The best thing is, it does not wear out tires! The foams will be gone and there will be no visible signs of wear. Trinity foams are a must. They last at least three times longer than stock. A pair of rear tires will last through about a gallon of fuel before the foams go. Indoor nitro can get pretty thick though.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:19 PM
jaejw1

im going to try and use evil twin tires from proline,, front and rear,,, to see how that performs,, .. im just glad the blades are second best,, so i guess i was on the right track,, now it is time to be on the best track

thanks for the info gubbs3
Old 09-03-2005, 11:10 PM
gubbs3

Blades can be second best. For buggies yes but for trucks... I hate them. Some people do like them though. What they can do for you is give you a very smooth feel like a ribbed tire when turning in to keep the truck stable and smooth and also can make exiting the turn a little smoother as well. Those are the good parts. If you are driving on a very tight track, like the one I linked, that has lots of tight switchback turns they can be beneficial. They can push a little going into the turn to bleed off some speed but when you give the brakes a little tap the outer edge of the tire digs in and whips your truck around the apex of the turn. But if you get into a higher speed, wider corner, then they hook too much. Electric guys usually like them but for gas, no. In a sweeper you are usually in the engine's powerband and controlling the throttle can be very tricky. A quick, on and off blip of the throttle usually works to get the truck around a sweeper. With Blades though, it creates a push/loose transition when getting on and off the throttle that made me give the tires away after a day of use.

If Evil Twins are the tires to have at your track, try them. They might be tricky to get used to at first. This is because using the same tires in front as in back will usually allow you to put the truck wherever you want it rather than flowing between corners. You have to stay ahead of your truck, know your line and stay on it. If you saw at the wheel a lot and keep recorrecting your truck, you will find yourself bouncing off every pipe on the track. Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:35 AM
jaejw1

well like you said the blades work fine for me,, i dont have too many problems,, just maybe going into a tight corner it doesnt hook as well as i would like,, but it could also be my servo being too slow,(645mg hitec).... and high speed sweeps are pretty easy to deal with sometimes,, but not when the corner starts to get tighter,, usually i will have a lil too much grip,, and then going into the first tight turn it will push and scrub speed and then i have to slowly turn into the corner after already shooting into half of the corner... but i have noticed at times going into the sweeper the rear tires will break loose causing it to fishtail a lil..

i usually have to slow down off the throttle turn into the sweeper and then massage the throttle in the sweep in order not to fishtail...

the track im at,, when wet is slightly soft and loamy.. but as it dries it becomes harder,,, like concrete almost,, very hardpacked..
dont know if you have heard of socal raceway but that is where i go http://www.socalrc.com/
you can see from the pics kind of what im dealing with...

i will give the evil twins a try,,, for both my truck and 4wd buggy
Old 09-04-2005, 10:08 PM
jaejw1

btw what are you using for foam inserts,,,
Old 09-04-2005, 10:14 PM
brownstone101

well i didnt read the whole thread but here is a pic of my ruck with bow ties up front
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69228.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	319821  
Old 09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
jaejw1

ORIGINAL: brownstone101

well i didnt read the whole thread but here is a pic of my ruck with bow ties up front
im assuming you have a 2wd truck,, and if so,, what benefits have you seen having the bowties upfront instead of the more popular ribs upfront,,,

do you race??
what kind of dirt??
what foams do you use and why?

Old 09-04-2005, 11:51 PM
brownstone101

1) ya 2WD
2) no i bash
3) handles great realy bites into dirt with the right shock setting
4) hard pack CA clay-softer sand
5) i used the stock fomes that i cleaned up and trimed down and all glued on AE RC10GT rims if that matters
and now i have proline dirt works in rear now
6) ya i had the edges and they last a wile but it seams to me these are better and they dont were down if u were going to put it in the rear they dont last as long

and its all about expiments i didnt know how these would work then i relised they were great and looked killer[>:]
so i would say go for it do u have a evader i didnt bother to read the tread LONG day
Old 09-05-2005, 09:19 AM
jaejw1

no i have an xtm xcellerator that i have been practicing with and trying to get dialed in for a future race,once i learn how to really drive this thing fast and steady..

im doing good so far,, just looking for an edge.. since tire choice is 80% of dialing-in
Old 09-05-2005, 04:39 PM
motoman931172
My Feedback: (4)

you should do it right now? and run proline edges in the rear and tmaxx mulchers up front
im just joking well in a 2wd you cant, but in a rwd whenever they show signs of wear
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM
jaejw1

holy smokes,, if only i had tried this earlier i wouldnt be wasting my time trying to learn how to drive my car while it pushed on every turn.

front holeshots i think they are r3 compound,, gripped very very well.. turned on a dime, atleast to me it did,,

but one problem i had was that my slipper was too tight and it caused me to oversteer a lot..

i did do an "A" "B" comparison,,, i ran the car with my M3 proline blades with the rim vent hole enlarged and the foam uncut,,, this made the car not so squirelly down the straight but the turn in on corners were terrible,, high speed turn were good though...

the holeshots on the other hand turned very sharp,, and was truly somthing i have to get used to,,

my next trip to socal raceway i will have my slipper loosened and i will experiment more with the holeshots in front
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 AM
jaejw1

well i kept the holeshots on,,, and they ccut like a hot knife through butter.. if my servo was faster i could probablt flip the car over since they bite so well.. the rears i was using my worn holeshots... i switched to panther "switch" tires in the rear,, dont remember what the compound is,,, but these tires didnt have the bite that was offered by the holeshots upfront..

on every fast turn the holeshot would dig and spin the rear around sometimes too much... didnt have this problem with the holeshots in rear,,

future plans... another set of holeshots a rear wheel and another set of panther "switch" and a front wheel,, might aswell run the like tires together and not mix them