RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

engine help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine help!!

I've got a brand new OS .12 strapped in my RC10, been working on this for a week.. everything is cool, except the engine won't run and stay running. It starts good, fires right up, and will run about 1/4 throttle on the trigger, any less it dies, any more it dies.. I'm seeing fuel come out of the exhaust so I think I'm rich enough on the mixture, I need to get this sucker broke in!!!

any ideas?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:30 PM
s-maxx-basher

Default RE: engine help!!

your supposed to dirve 1/4 throttle on break in? idle? for break in it should be on the rich side but it shouldnt be overly rich. the only thing i would do is lean out the low speed in an hr turn at a time. new engines shouldnt be so rich that they cant move. but if it runs at 1.4 then let it run at that speed. fallow exactly what the manual says.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 PM
avg_joe

You should do a search for engine break-in. I don't remember who wrote it, but there was a very comprehensive, step by step instructions with reasons for doing it the way he outlined.
You need to have a temp gun to do it properly. Also very handy for general tuning after break-in.
good luck!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:29 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I would try leaning it out.

The best way to break one in is heat cycle. Do a search on this form.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
tmaxx26power
My Feedback: (69)

Have you tried another new glow plug?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
thestratcat

I had tried three different plugs, tried going at it more saturday, could get it to run, but wouldn't stay running above an idle.. way under on temp and everything, it just don't want to run for me..

I took it to the shop yesterday and dropped it off. I figured I'd either go too far leaning it out (already had about 1 turn leaner) or there was something seriously wrong with the engine. I dropped it off yesterday and told them to break it in and make it run, or figure out what is wrong with the engine. I was in too far over my head on this one, figured I'd pass it to someone who knows..
Old 09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
SOOJIAN

If you are seeing fuel coming out of exhaust you are too rich.Its not able to burn it all off. As far as breaking in you should let it idle thru 5 tanks a little on the rich side.Then start to lean it a little after that.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:32 AM
econ909

I heard its not good to just let your car ilde there because your not getting enough gas thru it because it just loads up and causes premature wear. ive seen r/c car engine get hotter ilding rather than stabbing the throttle just a lil to get gas flowing thru the engine ensted of loading up causing the rod to weakin. after break in its good to tune your car to max tune 245deg at the most to temper the engine then back off untill it hits 220deg and that should be optimal running temp and that should be no hotter than 230 on full throttle around the street or a track to see if it over heats, then drive slow using the lowspeed setting and see if you over heat. if you over heat while crusin then your lowspeedneedle is to lean. you car should ilde for 15/20 secs then hit the gas and it should puff some smoke then start going. with not to much of a stall just a lil one to make sure the engine is loading up just a lil, not alot . if it doesnt puff any smoke then its to lean thats a good way to kill your engine with out knowing what happend.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:08 PM
thestratcat

well, here's how this story continues...

I dropped my car off at the hobby shop sunday, told them to either make it run, or give me a new engine.... on thursday evening I picked it up, had to stop by work, so I figured I'd run a tank of fuel through it, after all they'd told me that they'd run it plenty and it ran fine, it just didn't idle well..

I put the fuel in the truck and ran it.. I could walk faster than the truck at full throttle!!!! I kept messing with it, and that's the best it got.. I called the hobby shop and explained to them, that I didn't consider their work on my truck to be "running fine" and that I'd be much better off tying a string to the truck and the other end to my leg and walking it around the track, this engine was not satisfactory!!! The kid explained that if I'd bring it back he'd put another one in, I explained that also was unsatisfactory, because they'd had it for five days the first time tuning the pooch, it wouldn't be possible for me to make the race saturday. He said he'd make it right..

well, fairly pissed off at the quality of their definition of "fine" and the OS engine in general (my .18 isn't a pooch) I took the truck home, on the way I decided to try it again, I started leaning it 1/2 turn, it ran much better I took it home. Later I didn't lean it any more (I'm scared of going too lean on break in) but it ran fairly bad again last night, I think it needs to get a lot more leaner for it to run, the temp is only about 110 degrees at the plug after running it. I don't remember the temp that it's supposed to be at, and keep missing that sentence in my manual.

I'm fixing to lean it another 1/4 turn and run it some more, check the temp, and see if I can get this thing to work.

by the way, I forgot to say it above here, but when it ran badly, it almost sounded like it was flooding, I haven't ever had an engine that rich, but then again things happen. The weather has been real weird here too, real humid and hot, so that may be part of it, or it just may be a defective engine all together...
Old 09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
avg_joe

110 degrees is not hot enough. Running a new engine at low temp will cause it to wear the parts to fit before they expand fully, so then when they do expand they don't fit tight.
In order to properly heat cycle it, you need to bring the temp over 200 for a couple of minutes.(120 seconds, just to clarify) Shut the engine off. DO NOT!
1.)run it out of fuel.
2.)pinch the fuel line to shut it off.
Turn the flywheel by hand until you are convinced that the piston is not in the pinch zone of the sleeve, and let it cool COMPLETELY.
Repeat minimum of 10 times.
It is also important to run at all rpm ranges.(I realize that part of your problem is that it won't do that, but...)
It is also said that you should stay away from sudden throttle inputs. Roll into and out of the throttle. WOT isn't a bad thing during break-in...35,000 rpm is though.
Running it out of fuel and pinching the fuel line to shut it off is bad because it causes the engine to run excessively lean for a couple of seconds, and could damage a new engine.(prob not so good for any engine, but especially a new one). I usually just poke my finger into the flywheel through the chassis. If it is at a normal idle, it will not chew off your finger. Or you could plug the stinger. That causes the engine to flood out, though, and could cause it to be harder to restart.

Tune the high speed needle first (if it idles), get that into the ballpark before you mess with the low speed needle.
Remember that it will take over a quart of fuel before it is broken in and generating decent power. You will still have to have it set fairly rich at this point to keep the temp down, as the engine is still pretty tight. By about a half gallon, you will be able to run it a little bit leaner, and get most of the power out of it.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Joe

I just re-read you post, and you are leaning it by 1/2 turn and 1/4 turn?
I would be VERY careful moving in steps that size. The normal limit is 1/12 of a turn(1 hour) to get it into range, and then 1/2 to 1/4 hour to fine tune.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 PM
thestratcat

thanks Joe,

yeah, 1/2 and 1/4 turn and it only got to 110 degrees or so, I just ran it again after leaning it maybe 1/8th and it only hit about 140 degrees, but!!! THE THING CAME TO LIFE!!! I never really got into the throttle, and it was screamin'. I'm doing the entire break in again myself, keeping a close eye on the temp. I don't trust that the hobby shop did it properly or to my expectations so I'll just run the extra 6 tanks or so through it to make sure.

if tonight was any indication of what tomorrow night will be at the track, I've got plenty of ponies now all I need to do is get it to hook up with the track and the idiot behind the wheel to keep it out of walls, and other moving and non-moving targets
Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 AM
hotttphxazzzzz

i need to find a site that has diagrams of the assembly of the engine and clutch i have the hyper21
Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 AM
avg_joe

COOL! I'm glad you got it figured out. It just feels better knowing you figured it out and fixed it yourself, rather than letting a 'qualified' technician tell you it is all better.(you see how well THAT went...)
Rock on, Dude...