RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Evader steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
MonteEvader
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evader steering servo

The steering servo on my Nitro evader clicks when turning right. The car is only 1 week old. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it covered under warranty? Are there upgrades that are better than the stock servo and are they compatible with the stock remote?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
SkrapIron

Default RE: Evader steering servo

You either broke a suspension piece ( such as the A-Arm or the top plate ) allowing more play in the steering than normal, or you broke a gear in the servo.

The A-Arms and top plate would be covered, but no, the servo is not covered under warranty. You have 2 choices. Buy a servo rebuild kit ( about $4 ) and rebuild the servo gear train, or buy a new servo. A better choice would be a metal gear servo. They are stronger, have more torque and a higher speed than a standard nylon geared servo. I would recommend either the Futaba S3305 MG or the Hitec HS-645MG. Both servos cost about $39.00, but are well worth the investment.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 AM
MonteEvader
My Feedback: (1)

Thanx! It seemed o.k. until I nailed a curb. I've seen some threads saying to get rid of the stock servo. Will your upgrade reccommedations be compatible with my stock remote?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:30 AM
SkrapIron

Yes. The servo will work with your current radio. You will want to test the turning before you put it on the ground. Often, a new servo will operate in the reverse direction of the old servo. (turn left, it goes right etc.) In that case, use ther servo reversing switch on the radio itself to correct this.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:25 AM
gerwen

btw, the Futaba servo will be a direct drop in, while the hitec has a different number of splines, so a different horn will have to be rigged up to mate with the steering link. Look in the Official nitro evader thread for examples of how to do this.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Snipin_Willy

gerwen; do you know aht page it's on? Duratrax as an older model metal gear high torques servo that sells for about $30 on towerhobbies. I'm almost positive this servo is a hitec.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 AM
gerwen

I don't know what page, but you can search the thread if you use the search button near the bottom of the first page.

I think it's just a matter of modifying one of the horns that comes with the servo by cutting off 3 of the 'ears', and then attaching the steering link to the remaining ear. I think it attaches backwards compared to how it would attach to the stock horn to avoid contacting other parts. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:21 PM
yoster

Hitec 645mg is too slow for an st imo. I'd go with the 625MG.. or the Duratrax SX210MG (it IS the Hitec 625mg with dtx's name on it.. and 10 bucks cheaper). Ths Duratrax version of it has a Futaba connector.. so it is a direct drop in for the evader. Also is compatable with the futaba servo horn.