Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Best hop ups for the Jato

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Toppertough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best hop ups for the Jato

I'm about to buy a Jato and wanna know the best hop-up parts for it. I'm only going to race friends so it don't have to be ROAR legal. I want to go as fast as possible with the best handling as possible. These are the things I need advice on engine,exhaust pipe,tires,lightweight replacement parts etc. anything to get around my track faster.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 AM
wyd

Default RE: Best hop ups for the Jato

First and foremost you need to be able to drive well and consistant. Anyone can make a truck fast nowadays with the motors available.

Now that said I would run it stock for now. I raced mine on dirt oval last night and my truck was about 95% stock against trucks custom made for oval racing and I was 4th in the A. My truck ran the stock 2.5 motor with a Racers Edge 24 thooth clutch bell. Truck is pretty dialed.

I do run a after market cooling head. truck only ran 166 degrees last night after my 4 minute run on the oval. I also took off the electric start stuff and put on a roto zip starter setup for now. I will be using a starter box setup soon.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12848.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	325564  
Old 09-18-2005, 12:19 PM
econ909

anyone ever tell you guys that it puts extra stress on your engine running it at low temps. i can understand your engine will run cool going at fast in a circle with the air always hitting the engine. when i drive my truck in the dirt on a track it hits 220. but if i was just on the street making highspeed passes its always cooler. like 190. try to keep you car atleast at 190 for the conrods sake!...
running a 2 speed in oval racing. how was that?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:10 PM
wyd

I have the 2 speed locked out. I might put a NTC3 clutch setup on as I can get much larger cluthc bells for the oval racing I'm doing. No one allows 2 speeds to run. So far the motor is running great. I been running nitro for 15 years and would like the temp higher but this after market head really cools the motor and maybe too much but to me these motors are cheap so if I burn it up in a few weeks no biggie especially when compared to what I spent racing touring cars. Burning a motor is cheap in comparison.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Toppertough

hey thanks, I plan to drive alot before I think about upgrading but I do want to one day be able to gofaster and handle better. I'm only 14 but I do know that going to fast in inexperienced hands only leads to a wreck and alot of money I don't have to spend on being wreckless. I have only driven a TRAXXAS Rustler but that is all it took and I'm hooked. But my question still stands What are the best hop-ups for the Jato. Also if u guys list any upgrades could u explain what they do and where I can buy them.Gosh, I hate being new and not knowing much about this. I know all the people who are veterans at this hobby probably get tired of answering questions for newbies but I need all the help I can get.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 PM
wyd

Well I would take off the elctric start setup and save the weight and use a Roto Zip starter or use a starter box (not right away but this is a good change to the truck). I would start with an aftermarket head on the truck. The Traxxas 2.5 seems to run hotter than some motors so a nice cooling head is helpful. For more topend you can go with a 22 Clutch bell from Racers Edge (they make a direct replacement and it comes with bearings).

Here is a pic of my truck to see I run it pretty stock with only a few hopups but the cooling head and gearing change are the main ones.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17446.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	326441