RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

new to me hpi mt....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 01:37 AM
01sesedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me hpi mt....

Hello everyone,
Awesome forum… Hope you guys could help me out and point me in the right direction. Just got a used MT1 (free by the way) and had a few question. I used the search feature but wanted some clarity. The truck ran fine until I wrecked, now it’s time to get it running again.
First, engine is running fine but the flywheel isn’t turning the crank, what’s the best replacement? The top screw on the left shock spilt the shock tower. The right front dog bone is bent. The rear shocks are really soft compared to the front, not sure if there damaged or not, is there a way to check them? When the truck is running, the front differential turns the left wheel but not the right wheel. I’m not sure if it’s worth getting it back in shape or not. There was a post on how to upgrade it to MT2 ([link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3284891/tm.htm[/link]), what do you guys think? Has anyone done this before?
I’m willing to get it back up and running but the guys at the hobby shop tell me that parts are hard to find and will get too expensive to replace them. They suggested I just get a new mt2 and get it over with. But since this one was free, I don’t mind putting a few bucks into it. Are there any aftermarket parts to replace the broken ones with (if so, please let me know which ones they are) or do I have to go with factory replacements?
Thanks for listen…..
Old 12-06-2005, 08:01 AM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new to me hpi mt....

Look On Ebay but also do google searches for hobby shops i was able to find quite a few shops that had parts and then i ordered them and had them in within a week
you will have to replace the dogbone and take the dif apart and check it out ( remember to go the hpi's website to get the manual that is online to make sure you do the joib right and have a parts list )
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 PM
TMardaus

For your question- engine is running fine but the flywheel isn’t turning the crank - that means that you must take the engine off, remove the bell and all of the components untill you get dow to just the crankshaft leaving the front bearing. I have had this problem before and the deal is that the pilot shaft that gets screwed on after the flywheel is installed is loose and the best thing to do, as i said, is to strip it down saving all the parts. Now when you get down to the clutch spring and shoes, it is always a good time to buy new ones. I can tell you together a pair of springs and shoes cost less than 5 bucks. Ask a hobby shop owner to aid you in reinstalling the clutch shoes and springs cuz they suck to get on the first time you do it. YOU MUST USE THREAD LOCK ON THE PILOT SHAFT SO THAT THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE PROBLEM THAT YOU ARE FACING AND WILL FACE AGAIN IF YOU DONT FOLLOW THAT ONE STEP. And if i were you, do what i did. Go out and buy the MT2's front and rear shock tower and bumper. It will be around 5 bucks but go to HPIRACING.com to get the exact other parts because you need some screws and bolts.
If you have any more questions try to contact me through rc universe or at [email protected]
Old 12-13-2005, 03:30 PM
01sesedan

On my first post there is a link to a post by hpi staff, should I use those part numbers to upgrade the drivetrain?

Thanks.....
Old 12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
TripleFlipOut

If you are going to just be bashing it and trying to keep it cheap, then I would recommend getting stock replacements, maybe even on eBay as was suggested. Stock HPI suspension parts are pretty sturdy and are of good quality.

Another option to consider, you can always put Super Nitro touring car A-arms and axles in it and turn it into a Super Nitro Rally. What a great package that is...one of the best HPI came up with.