Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
dviga001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

thats what I was thinking too. thanks for the help. is there anything else i should look over to get this thing started back up?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

i guess just making sure all the screws are on tight and nothing is cracked. once you get it going, then you will be able to get it going really good
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
firestorm2009

Hey
I am looking to upgrade my pipe

I am running the hpi aluminum tuned pipe but i am looking for more.

Anyone runninga different pipe thats they see a big difference from.

Firestorm2009
Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 AM
firestorm2009

OKay now i have another issue[:@]

I went to run it this morning and it would start and idle real well and than i would get about half throttle and it would die.

I also have a fail safe, i was thinking maybe the batteries just might be dead and failsafe is push the throttle closed.
I will see if that helps when i get home.

But please let me knoe if anyone elses has done this. and if they can help me.

In Need Of Help
Firestorm2009
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
GlassBullet

can you tell if it bogs out (sounds like its drowning) or burning out (like your pinching the fuel line). If it bogs, lean it a little. If it burns out, richin. Or it might be fine later in the day, possibly the cold, if it is where you are, morning air messed with it for a little
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
ro.sniper

Ah it was a wonderful weekend, and had the firestorm out, and it was great, my exhaust is fixed and the screws are thread locked and got the tune right on, its nice when everything runs smoothly. I have a motor saver air filter on that I picked up last week and hitec 645 MG for both throttle and steering. Overall a great weekend for the Firestorm, its great when after a few good runs all you have to do is clean it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
firestorm2009

okay so pretty much i come to the conclusion that something is not right with my motor.

Does anyone recommend a different motor that they like just as much.

or is it worth just sending in and paying the 65 to get it replaced...

very irrated and pissed off please help
firestorm2009
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: dviga001

Hey guys, fell off the RC wagon this past year but am trying to get back in. I pulled out my firestorm yesterday after about 7 months on the shelf, and after about 40 pulls I finally got it started, but about 2 seconds taking the glow plug ignitor out it would shut off. I continued to restart it up, but everytime I pulled the ignitor out it cuts out. Even after leaving the ignitor in for a couple seconds after the engine was running it would still cut out once i removed it.

You guys got any suggestions to get my truck up and running again? I wanted to see what you guys would say before I start droppin money at my LHS haha.
Or too lean. Where are the needles set?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: firestorm2009

okay so pretty much i come to the conclusion that something is not right with my motor.

Does anyone recommend a different motor that they like just as much.

or is it worth just sending in and paying the 65 to get it replaced...

very irrated and pissed off please help
firestorm2009
What is it doing? Unless you have a worn bearing, crank or piston and sleeve or there is something warped from overheating the repair is fairly easy. The G3 is a pretty reliable engine. Give more details.....
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: brandon.

what charger do you guys use for a hpi 5 cell hump charger?
I use a generic 120 mA charger for all my hump packs. Nothing special, its bare basic and does the job.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
dviga001

nitro-rob-

All the needles are set to factory right now, LSN may be a little lean from when I had it running last summer. I'm thinking of just setting everything back to factory and picking up a new glow plug. Also, I have a high torque steering servo, and can't seem to make real sharp turns when going low speed, everything is set up on my controller but its having troubles turning. I don't have a hump pack, just using the stock AA's (have replaced a couple times now). Would making the upgrade to the hump pack solve this and put some more juice into the servo's?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 PM
firestorm2009

well.

its take a while for it to start which before it used to start right up...

when it does start it idals okay. its a bit high but if i turn it any lower it just stalls.
i out it ons its stand to just warm it up i guess but after about a min it just dies.

No bogg no real high rev.

i have changed the tank to see if it was clogged, have changed fuel lines. cleaned the carb. changed air filters, new glow plugs, richen the motor to see if it just wasnt getting gas
nothing ha worked and i cant keep it running long enough to get any form of temp off of it.

so i dont know what else to do???
Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 AM
nitro-rob

What about compression - if its low then it won't idle. If you have the pull start in it then lift the truck and see if the engines compression can hold the trucks weight. You could have an air leak, check all areas of the intake and put soapy water on the head and pull it a few times. New fuel? Are there air bubbles in the fuel line?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
GlassBullet

When it comes time for new tires, what do you folks usually get? Specifically, should I be looking into truck tires or buggy tires. I'll be mostly bashing, driving on the street, grass, and dirt.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a roll cage for the firestorm?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: firestorm2009

well.

its take a while for it to start which before it used to start right up...

when it does start it idals okay. its a bit high but if i turn it any lower it just stalls.
i out it ons its stand to just warm it up i guess but after about a min it just dies.

No bogg no real high rev.

i have changed the tank to see if it was clogged, have changed fuel lines. cleaned the carb. changed air filters, new glow plugs, richen the motor to see if it just wasnt getting gas
nothing ha worked and i cant keep it running long enough to get any form of temp off of it.

so i dont know what else to do???
Try checking the bolts that hold the the Cooling Head/Fins to the top of the piston. I had trouble starting mine once, I could start it and if I held the throttle it would stay on but then it would cut off when it tried to idle. I found that the head bolts were slightly lose, I just turned them a LITTLE bit to make it slightly tighter and the motor ran great and idles fine. The screws being a little lose will make the engine lose a good portion of its compression. Hope this helps.

-Disjaukifa
Old 04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
disjaukifa

Hey Guys,

I bought my first HPI Firestorm 10T today. I am still new to the Nitro scene, but not the RC scene. My first Nitro has been a Duratrax Raze that I got back in Feburary and its been a nightmare to run and keep running. So I did some research and everything I have read and heard about the Firestorm seems to be good and I got a heck on a deal on a Firestorm that has only had 1 gallon of Nitro through it.

Got a question. What plugs do I need to get for the Firestorm??? I saw that TowerHobbies recommends, but I am not looking to spend 10 bucks a glow plug. However if ya'll think it worth let me know!!!

For example would this work
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAY0&P=ML]O'Donnell Blue Glow Plug Sport Cold[/link]

Or this?
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCKB2&P=7]O'Donnell #77 Glow Plug[/link]

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
GlassBullet

The car makes no difference on the plug to get. What nitro percent are you running and what is the temperature outside on average?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: GlassBullet

The car makes no difference on the plug to get. What nitro percent are you running and what is the temperature outside on average?
Average is between really 75 ~ 90 and the fuel I have is O'Donnell Ready 2 Run Fuel and its say 20% on it. I live in the mountains so the temperature changes alot.

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 PM
nitro-rob

I run the A5 plug and have an OS 8 in another G3 engine and they are fine.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
firestorm2009

okay so i have got the engine doing the same thing it idels okay.

but after a few secounds of run time it just dies.

afterit dies i hear like the engine is still burning off the fuel. its a hissing sound almost.

Does anyone know whats going on
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
nitro-rob

The hissing could be from the pressure built up in the engine being released through air leaks. What is your compression like? The other possibility is you are hearing the glow plug burning excess fuel for a little while but this shouldn't take long to die. I would do a leak test.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Kodiac400

Well I finally got the chance to fire up the Firestorm for the first time. This is a new to me rc (already broken in). I have to say this thing is real fast an a ton of low end power to boot. So far I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Kodiac400

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to route the Firestorms exhaust to make it come out of the rear of the rc. It drives me crazy cleaning the rear rim all the time. So does anyone make an exhaust system that we can use?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
nitro-rob

Try an exhaust deflector, it will push the exhaust away about three inches from the truck.

I took my storm out for the first real ride of the year - which lasted one tank before blowing the exhaust gasket.
The truck ran very well otherwise. It was my first run with the three-shoe clutch and widened the exhaust header. There was notably more power. It was run on the street. I had some problems keeping the truck straight under power and it didn't wheelie at all but spun the tires instead. I chewed quite a bit of rubber off the road rage tires in that short time.

Will switch to the MT2 for now - the G3 isn't as peppy in that truck
Old 04-25-2009, 01:47 PM
dviga001

I know this might be a noob question, but just wanted to ask before i spent more money haha.

I bought a hpi 1200 mah hump pack, and when putting it in i noticed that the plug for the battery didnt line up to the one on the truck. Do I need to replace my on/off switch, or did I buy the wrong battery?

thanks for the help

edit::

I'm an idiot lol. the wire to connect the battery fell out and was in the bottom of the bag haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.