Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

hey guys i am about to buy the jato 3.3

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

hey guys i am about to buy the jato 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 AM
synthetic003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys i am about to buy the jato 3.3

umm my question here is kind of a retarded one but by any chance does the jato 3.3 come with a rechargeable battery pack or will i in fact need to go buy the traxxas peak charger with a 7.2 v battery pack for my ez start wand and a hump pack?? i have never bought a brand new rtr truck before but i have owned a few in the past. an if i remeber correctly i seen an ad with a revo having a pre-installed rechargeable battery pack for the reciever. an i was wondering if the jato has this as well. better yet anyone who has recently bought a brand new in box jato could you please tell me exactly what is with the truck. thank you[sm=71_71.gif][sm=72_72.gif][sm=75_75.gif]
Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 AM
monocog

Default RE: hey guys i am about to buy the jato 3.3

you will need a pack of 8aa batteries for the transmitter, a 5 cell hump pack for the receiver, a 7.2v battery pack, peak charger, also get a glow plug wrench, extra glow plugs, wd40 for after-run maintenance, and some 30w motor oil for the air filter (don't let the hobby store talk you into getting products you don't need).

once you have finally broke in your jato 3.3, would strongly suggest you remove the ez-start mechanism. purchase a glow plug igniter (usually around 15 bucks) and a pull start for your trx 3.3 engine.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 AM
monocog

5 cell hump pack
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUE0&P=0

7 cell stick pack
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUE2&P=0

ac/dc peak charger
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUF43&P=7

glow plug
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJL32&P=7

note, they are probably cheaper and better items then i have suggested above. just wanted to give you an idea of what all was out there.

once you broke it in:

pull start
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/637170.asp

glow plug igniter w/ charger
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ801&P=7
Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 AM
synthetic003

i have after run oil air filter oil glow plugs hot cold medium long heavy duty super duty u name it as well as ignighters an the wand i have a 7.2v battery pack from a rc car i bought at radio shack but i didnt realize it was a timmer set cgarger an charges for 5 hours then shuts down well i charged it went to work come home an the charger was off i thought someone messed with it an somehow turned it off well i unplugged it looked it over an plugged it back in let it charge again well needless to say i roached my cells.i have a **** load of duracell batteries probably like 150 left over from a surplus i bought but i ithink i would rather like to have the hump pack an transmitter pack with a new 7.2v an a charger what is the one traxxas makes to charge all three of those???
Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 AM
monocog

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYD1&P=7

but for 70 dollars......yikes, get yourself a nice peak charger instead.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 AM
synthetic003

alrighty well thank you for answering my question with out a bunch o negative info about how "crappy" the jato can be . the way i see it is every vehicle will have its ups and downs if ya like the looks and can afford it if ya want it buy if you dont like it sell it
Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 AM
synthetic003

besides the is almost ALWAYS after market parks to make you vehicle better for you
Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM
mishal

I have just ordered Traxxas 5-Cell 1100mAh Nimh Flat Battery for my Jato Rx, I'm using Accu cycle for charging my airplane's Tx/Rx packs and never tried it with Sub-C type batteries. do I need to buy another charger like Traxxas power charger or still can use mine?.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:36 PM
MadBart

Now WHY would you want to remove the EZ starter?? It works just fine..
Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM
twomanytoys

Never had a problem with my ez start either. Great to have when they work right but if it goes out you are sol till you get it fixed. The Jato is a great truck just dont expect it to go off road very well with the factory tires. Once you change the tires it does great.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: monocog

you will need a pack of 8aa batteries for the transmitter, a 5 cell hump pack for the receiver, a 7.2v battery pack, peak charger, also get a glow plug wrench, extra glow plugs, wd40 for after-run maintenance, and some 30w motor oil for the air filter (don't let the hobby store talk you into getting products you don't need).

once you have finally broke in your jato 3.3, would strongly suggest you remove the ez-start mechanism. purchase a glow plug igniter (usually around 15 bucks) and a pull start for your trx 3.3 engine.

no no no!!!! not the hump pack...you need the flat pack for a jato. you dont need a glow plug wrench...the jato comes with all the tools except a flat head screw driver for engine tuning and needle nose pliers. you should get after run oil instead of wd 40, since wd 40 displaces water instead of absorbing and getting rid of the moisture inside the engine (altho i dont use either). i guess you can use motor oil in the air filter, but i suggest that you get a bottle of foam (not glazed or whatever) air filter oil like used in dirt bikes at an auto parts store (not at hobby shop its more expensive). you dont need to remove the ez start...infact i dont recomend it because pull starts can be a pain ifyou dont do it right...it is a good idea though to use a glow plug igniter because its easier on the ez start battery. if you can, get the battery pack and charger (traxxas charger) off of ebay because it will save you alot of money. oh yea, extra glow plugs are a must.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Declan05

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: monocog

no no no!!!! not the hump pack...you need the flat pack for a jato. you dont need a glow plug wrench...the jato comes with all the tools except a flat head screw driver for engine tuning and needle nose pliers. you should get after run oil instead of wd 40, since wd 40 displaces water instead of absorbing and getting rid of the moisture inside the engine (altho i dont use either). i guess you can use motor oil in the air filter, but i suggest that you get a bottle of foam (not glazed or whatever) air filter oil like used in dirt bikes at an auto parts store (not at hobby shop its more expensive). you dont need to remove the ez start...infact i dont recomend it because pull starts can be a pain ifyou dont do it right...it is a good idea though to use a glow plug igniter because its easier on the ez start battery. if you can, get the battery pack and charger (traxxas charger) off of ebay because it will save you alot of money. oh yea, extra glow plugs are a must.
I can't decide between the Revo and the Jato... Is the Jato good on dirt tracks? I saw a reply from someone stating that you need to get a good set of tires and the Jato runs well on dirt. Is that true, and if it is which tires do you recommend? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm looking to by the truck next weekend and I'm still not sure which one to go with.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
motorhead91

buy a truggy and you will get the goods of both
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 PM
jatoracing33

the stock jato 3.3 tires are total JUNK. they are on road tires, so naturaly they dont do good off road, and on road its like your driving on ice and they wear out quickly. good tires are yokohamo geolanders and proline moabs. youll also need 2.2 rims for these tires (traxxas dished wheels work fine)
Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 PM
twomanytoys

Decland,

The revo is going to be superior to the Jato on the track. Yes teh Jato can be set up to do very good on the track but it just cant beat a 4wd. My Jato does great on dirt but it took a little bit of mods to achieve that. I just bought a truggy to fit those 4wd needs. I cant wait to get it.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Declan05

Do you think it is worth getting the Jato if I'm going to be mostly running on dirt?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Declan05

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Decland,

The revo is going to be superior to the Jato on the track. Yes teh Jato can be set up to do very good on the track but it just cant beat a 4wd. My Jato does great on dirt but it took a little bit of mods to achieve that. I just bought a truggy to fit those 4wd needs. I cant wait to get it.
Thanks for the info... I was a little nervous getting the 4wd for the track because I heard they didn't turn as well as the 2wd stadium trucks and some of the guys I'll be racing against have 2wd STs. I guess it mostly comes down to the driver anyway.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
motorhead91

4wd is a lot "tighter" than 2wd...they hook up better and can push a little more, but most of the time they are on rails..........2wd is "looser"...you can pitch them around a lot easier
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 PM
twomanytoys

Declan,

If set up right the jato is fun on dirt but it takes ALOT of throttle control. I dont regret buying it but its not easy to drive on dirt. It has made me a much better driver for sure. If you are going to be racing other st then get the jato. If you are racing 4wd then get the revo. You will just need to buy some good tires with 2.2 wheels to even be able to compete on dirt.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Declan05

Thanks, I appreciate the help guys.