Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Turning a MT2 into a Jato Killer (part 5) updated July 29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Turning a MT2 into a Jato Killer (part 5) updated July 29

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turning a MT2 into a Jato Killer (part 2) Results June 10,2008

a 13/16 should be fine 13/18 is way to much ur motor will probably bog out once it hits second gear with that ratio.........BUT dont trust the HPI website theyll leave you waiting for stuff for a LONG TIME and just push the date back.........i rember when they stopped makeing the CF upper deck for the rush eveo and HPI kept saying it will be out next month THEN THE NEXT BLA BLA BLA..............turns out 6 months later they listed it as discontuned........i rember there was some really pist off people LOL

about the drive train you dont need to upgrade it IF you will be useing in only on the street and plan to gear it high.......46U is geared for the track and that constant stop and go BRAKE THEN GAS will kill the drive train unless it was upgraded........and his is still a little higher geared i think he tolled me there was a 18CB in it..........to keep it in control.....thats freaking nuts!!!!

ive have a few buddies with high end 21 size motors in there RS4's and MT's and there to cheap to upgrade the drivetrain.......and they dont have problems becuase they have them geared really high for big speed.......the higher pinion gear u go on the clutch bell the less toruqe it will have THUS less stress on the drive train.........updateing the drive train depend's on what you planning on doing with the car..........
Old 08-30-2007, 06:27 AM
lewis_lfc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change the shift ponit on the 2 speed !!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:23 AM
doesgo

For the first time, I think I'm going to have to disagree with one of your posts, Uncle Vinnie, or at least disagree with the sentiment.

You said, "I admit it, I should have listen, live and learn."

In my opinion, you did all those things and always have since this thread began. You do listen to everyone's opinion. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you don't listen.

What if you had decided not to try the two-speed because a couple people didn't think you'd have the power to pull the gear? Based on what I've seen from you, you'd always wonder whether it would have worked and it'd bother you not knowing. Now you know, and lots of other people know as well.

I applaud you sticking with your original goal for so long, too. Even though it seemed a nearly insurmountable challenge, you did everything you could think of to accomplish it, along with laborious testing and documentation. Most people just slap parts onto their vehicles and claim a new top speed with little tuning and no real data. You go to the other extreme and we all benefit from that. I just wish I had the time and dedication required for such a project!

As for the nay-sayers and those saying this project wasn't worth the effort...it gets frustrating to read after a while. Stating your opinion is great, but Uncle Vinnie made it clear, I think, that he was trying to extract all the power and speed from a T15-powered MT2. Instant speed at all costs was never the point. Just remember the old adage, "Getting there is half the fun."

Uncle Vernon, I hope you continue to push the MT2 envelope with or without the T-15 and continue to keep us posted on your progress. It makes for great reading and vicarious living.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Thank you for your support Doesgo.

I have ordered a CB 13/16 for the 2 speed, hopefully that will be an improvement.

As the T15 did not have enough power to push the 18/22, hell it didn't even have enough power to make it change to 2nd gear.
The project continues, as I'm not going to stop just because I hit a bump on the road, or the results are not what it was expected.
Once I receive the 13/16 CB I will post the results, and go from there.

I've also updated my the post that have the 2-Speed Tranny, and Fiberglass brake with my thoughts about each item.

Have a great one, check back soon for updates
Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: Uncle Vinnie

Thank you for your support Doesgo.

I have ordered a CB 13/16 for the 2 speed, hopefully that will be an improvement.

As the T15 did not have enough power to push the 18/22, hell it didn't even have enough power to make it change to 2nd gear.
The project continues, as I'm not going to stop just because I hit a bump on the road, or the results are not what it was expected.
Once I receive the 13/16 CB I will post the results, and go from there.

I've also updated my the post that have the 2-Speed Tranny, and Fiberglass brake with my thoughts about each item.

Have a great one, check back soon for updates

im just wondering where did u find the 13/16 clutch bell?????? i actually have a few in my house but i havent seen anyone have them in stock in a while......ull notice a huge impovment now......

the problem is ur gearing it was OK if u ran regular onroad 1/10 wheels.......but rember u are running larger offroad wheels and that over geared the motor WAY TO MUCH..........once u drop in that 13/16 CB ull see a huge diffrence.........ur truck is going to be faster than it was before and get to top end speed alot quicker too....

when ever u can come up with a few bucks to buy the 18TZ start this thread up again id love to help u out!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
rclynx

Is the gun accurate or not???? I believe it is, I've tested it numerous of times with people driving my car, and their cars,
with me as a driver, and as a gun holder, at a top speed of 60mph it was off by1-2mph
LOL could have been the car O-domitor off[&o]
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Uncle Vinnie

I got the 13/16 clutch bell from Tower Hobbies, they have it in stock "limited quantities" they say, whatever that means.

LOL could have been the car O-domitor off
It could be off..... everything is possible, but 3 cars reading the same, I doubt it.... but possible.
3 cars reading the same, I would say the gun is accurate.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 PM
rclynx

close enough for government work[X(] as good as they make those things now days even the hot wheels units are pretty good your luck on the bell I just finally got in 25 of the 13-18 tooth I have needed[&o]after 2 months
Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Default RE: Turning a MT2 into a Jato Killer (part 5) updated July 29

Unfortunately the 13/16 clutch bell was another disappointment....well...somewhat...

I must say the first gear 13/47 was exceptional, going half throttle, and then applying full throttle on a straight line,
the car kind of fishtailed all the time, not enough to lose control, but nice to see, this is all in ash fault, not dirt or hard packed dirt.

The good thing is the car now changes to 2nd gear, but not enough power to make go fast enough that is noticeable on 2nd gear,
I would say maybe 2-3 miles faster than 1st gear.

I can't even imagine what the OS .18 will be like in first gear. (maybe wheelies????) I think I'll have to ordered sooner than later.

Just a thought...if I was to change the spur gears to a 49/46, will there be a benefit to that??????

Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Here is a Video of the MT 2 doing 47mph.
I don't have a camcorder, the best I could do was use my digital camera that also does videos.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/TNYSY0CLSGV2DFLC/received
Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Uncle Vinnie

The Project continues......

Look what I just got.................

Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM
MastaDizasta

The Project continues......

Look what I just got.................

NOW thats what I'm talking about man... I just droped one in my Mt2, I can't wait till I break it in and get some hard bashing done...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49642.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	776614  
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Yes and I hope you have your drive train beefed up as you will need it. I have one in my MT and took me a while to figure what all I had to up date where I could get more then ½ tank of fuel through it before the drive train messed up. First thing you need to do is put all the SS drive train in it!

Name:	Tr51593.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	776629  
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

One other thing I am sure you noticed the TZ has a very tight pinch! Before you start it pre heat the engine with a heat gun or you will break the pull starter very easily.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:58 PM
MiamizFinest

now this project will be moveing !!!!!!!!

the drive train wont be a issue since its going to be built for onroad only..........ive droped high end italian motors in a MT before and once the gear is right ull never blow a drive train part........

what kills the drive train is on and off on the clutch and the low gearing for bottom end punch.........for now hell be fine

i know u spend big bucks but try to spend JUST A FEW DOLLARS MORE on the HPI lightweight flywheel i think its cost 15 dollars.........that big heavy stock one is going to kill ur RPMS
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Here is a quick update....................

Just finished braking in the .18 TZ, I went through 10 tanks of gas.
On the 10th tank of gas, I did some high speed runs, and are the results:

Top speed was 45mph, with the engine running at 165F. Now that's impressive!!!!!!!!!
Can wait to see the results after being tunned properly..

Even the pull start is easy to use, it starts all the time on the first pull.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
twomanytoys

Get the temps up about another 75-100 degrees and we may have a race. Gaining another 20mph may be harder than you think though.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
stasoccerkid

hey i think its cool wat ur doing hope it works out and keep us posted i enjoys reading projects like this good luck
Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 PM
doesgo

Can't wait to hear how it goes once you get some more fuel through it and a performance tune!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Uncle Vinnie

I have some good news and bad news.

The bad news is car still not tuned, I did managed to get 52mph With a 15T, and the stock 52-Spur, with the engine only at 190F.
And then, the slipper clutch give away, it was not tight enough for the torque of the .18TZ, the spur gear started slipping, that by the time i noticed,
the metal bushing that goes between the spring and spur gear had disintegrated.
For now the top speed testing of the 15/52 is a no go, it takes 2 weeks for me to get parts, and I'm not going to just order one little bushing, it will have to wait until I need more parts.

The good news, I have a 2 speed tranny ready to go in the car, I actually just finished installing it.
Got a 13/16 clutch bell, matched with 46/43 Spur.

Hopefully I will have some results before next weekend.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
MastaDizasta

I'm so sad.. I blew out my second gear(43T) ... Broke this thing in and all I have to say this engine is crazy... Just wow...
With 13/16 - 43/46, My foams caught so much grip at one point I could lift the front wheels..

Do you guys think a 44T/41T Will still pull pretty hard if I put those gears in?

Name:	Bz77170.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	785628  
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Uncle Vinnie

That's funny.........I went out yesterday before it started raining, with the same gearing as you, and I striped the crap out of the first gear spur.
Since I don't have anymore spurs. I'm going with the stock 2 speed clutch bell, and spurs: 18/22 and 47/43

But I would've gone with the 44/41 if I had them, let me know how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM
MastaDizasta

Tell me how that goes for you, Could you also post up pictures of your complete car?

I'd love to see how it looks like completed..
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Just got home from testing the new gearing: 18/22 and 47/43

I must say I'm not that impressed the first gear is ok, it actually made the car spin it's wheels on the take off.
However it dies on 2nd gear, I'm lucky it picked up 2-3mph.

I'm debating if I should try going with the optional 17/21, 49/45.

Or try the 13/16, 44/41.

I have one night to think about it, tomorrow morning I'm going to the Hobby Shop.

Regarding the pics, I have nothing good yet, I'm working on a project for the winter time, I will post some pics soon.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
MastaDizasta

Just got home from testing the new gearing: 18/22 and 47/43

I must say I'm not that impressed the first gear is ok, it actually made the car spin it's wheels on the take off.
However it dies on 2nd gear, I'm lucky it picked up 2-3mph.

I'm debating if I should try going with the optional 17/21, 49/45.

Or try the 13/16, 44/41.

I have one night to think about it, tomorrow morning I'm going to the Hobby Shop.

Regarding the pics, I have nothing good yet, I'm working on a project for the winter time, I will post some pics soon.

I think you should go for 13/16 44/41..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.