Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

glow plug problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:44 PM
jatoracing33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plug problems

in the past 2 weeks ive gone through 2 traxxas super duty glow plugs in my jato 3.3. both times the filament had broke, and both times it happened wen it rolled over. i know its not running too lean because the temp is 250. can you guys help me?????
Old 07-21-2007, 11:48 PM
thatsmrgimp2u

Default RE: glow plug problems

Could be your running too rich, if too much fuel build up gets on the glow coil it will foul sooner, kindof like carbon on a sparkplug.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:50 PM
jatoracing33

no...the coil broke both times, but the coil looked as clean as it was wen i first got it
Old 07-21-2007, 11:54 PM
thatsmrgimp2u

What kind of glow starter are you using? Maybe it has a short? I cant think of anyting engine related that would cause a plug to break. They are built to handle compression after all.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 PM
jatoracing33

im using the stock ez start system. mite me tappin the throttle wen at least 1 wheel is on the ground tryin 2 get it to roll over make a difference?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:29 AM
thatsmrgimp2u

Im not sure, maybe you should try a glow starter, that way the ez start wont have to work as hard.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 PM
davidgeorge212

I have a glow plug problem too. I have a hobbico aerostar 40 trainer with a .46 OS engine in it. The last few times I flew it I noticed the power was dramatically decreased and it even cut out one time and I had to dead stick land it. When I got to looking at the motor I noticed I could unscrew the glow plug by hand. I tighten down the glow plug with a wrench so it is pretty tight when I take it up, it some how keeps working its way loose when its in the air. Does anyone have a solution to why it does that. Should I just lock tight the glow plug in?

Thanks David G.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:11 PM
davidgeorge212

wuups I ment avistar 40*
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

I have a glow plug problem too. I have a hobbico aerostar 40 trainer with a .46 OS engine in it. The last few times I flew it I noticed the power was dramatically decreased and it even cut out one time and I had to dead stick land it. When I got to looking at the motor I noticed I could unscrew the glow plug by hand. I tighten down the glow plug with a wrench so it is pretty tight when I take it up, it some how keeps working its way loose when its in the air. Does anyone have a solution to why it does that. Should I just lock tight the glow plug in?

Thanks David G.
Wrong forum but do you have the copper washer installed?

As for the original topic, use a glow igniter not the stock ez-start one. See if that changes anything. If not try changing plugs.