Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Firestorm Stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Santacruz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestorm Stopped working

Ok so i fire up my firestorm ... it all works until eventually it cuts out (normally me stopping it) Then i go to start it up again straight after and it just wont start ... any ideas ?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM
motorhead91

Default RE: Firestorm Stopped working

too rich, bad plug, or too slow idle speed
Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 PM
twomanytoys

Do you watch your temps?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Does it start back up OK after it cools down? If so could be over heating or engine is shot.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Nick2618

ORIGINAL: 46u

Does it start back up OK after it cools down? If so could be over heating or engine is shot.
This is my bet here. Do you run to lean? Also if you have no compression your engine is shot.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Santacruz

Im at factory settings ... I have 5 Spare glow plugs and i know they work and no i dont watch temps ... Its a very cold day here so i doubt over heating

PS: What does engine is shot mean ?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Santacruz

And yes 46 It will work ... ill leave it for a while then it will start again ... but not consecutively
Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Sure sounding like you might have a engine going. []
Old 08-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Santacruz

when im trying to start it back up tho it kinda starts for a second smoke comes out then it stops ... its making all the correct noises for it to start but i dont know what it is its just not catching the last little bit it needs to fire it up
Old 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Santacruz

Oh yeah forgot to add ... Its making all these good sounds when i prime it .... when un-primed it hardly catches could it be a problem with it sucking the fuel and if so how to i fix it i have no blockage in the hose
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
twomanytoys

Santacruz,

You say its cold? Thats when they will over heat the easiest. When its cold it will run alot leaner and will heat up quicker. You HAVE to watch your temps no matter what. Thats the number 1 rule with nitro rc. Temps change every day so tuning will very from day to day. If you dont watch your temps and you have over heated the motor more than a few times it may be worn out already hence the word SHOT! . Sounds like you are overheating the motor and it wont start till it cools down. You have to watch temps period!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Santacruz

All my settings are factory mate... And i'm a begginer so i dont know about all this watching temps :P Plz explain all if you would be so kind
Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Nick2618

By a temp gun and then aim it straight down on the glow plug thats where you take it at. you do not want the temps to go over 250. But depanding on your engine it might be a little higher or lower.

If you are sure you are at factory and the truck will only run when its cold. Then it dies once it warms up and will not start again until it cools back down then your engine is broken. You will need a new piston and sleeve or you can pinch it for about $20 dollars. Here is a link to someone who will do it. I have used them myself and it works and they are for real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/sleeve-resizing-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Santacruz

Now it doesn't work at all.... it wont start ... and its all at factory ... And i dont live in america so i cant order
http://cgi.ebay.com/sleeve-resizing-...QQcmdZViewItem
Will i need a new engine ? [&o]
Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
neilt6

Nope, most likely your sleave is shot. Just order a new sleave/piston and you'll be fine. Also, if it's not starting when it's hot, it means you are experiencing vapour-lock. A condition in which the fuel that enters the carb boils off almost immediatly due to heat, reverse pressurizing the fuel line and forcing all of the fuel out of it and back into the tank. This makes it impossible to prime and therefore start your engine, and occurs because your carb and therefore your engine is overheating. You NEED to use a temp gauge if you are new to Nitros and don't know how to tune them, no exceptions. A lot of people here will tell you not to use one and to tune by sound, but all us newbies will say otherwise. While tuning by sound may be the best way, it implys that we have some fore knowledge of how a nitro is supposed to sound, and since it's our first, we unfortunatly don't. Just use an infared temp guage like the one from Duratrax and aim it straight at the glow plug from about 1" away (Straight/verticle being the oppurtune word). The minimum temp for an ABC, ABN, etc sleaved engine is 200F, anything lower will cause accelerated wear on the pinch in your sleave (ABC, ABN, etc sleaves are "tapored" near the top, this is because the piston and sleave are made of different metals and expand at different rates when heated. The "pinch" allows the piston and sleave to continue to make a good seal with each other at varying temperatures) and create precisly the same problems as you're experiencing (Constant overtemp despite tuning, loss of compression, loss of power, start to start, etc). The borderline temp is around 290F, and the absolute roof is 330F. I just know I'm going to get flamed for that but it's what I've been told by several sources. Whereas the enemy of a conventional engine is heat, the enemy of an ABC is cold. Heat does far less damage than cold, in fact all it can do is put extra strain on your piston and conrod, result in a gallon or two of reduced lifespan, certainly not as bad as running it cold and a cheap repair at that.

And about the ambient temperature... As air heats up, it's molecules spread out and become more sparse, meaning your engine will not be getting as much air, and will in fact run cooler and richer. As air cools down, the opposite occurs and the molcules pack together more tightly, allowing the engine to recieve more oxygen on intake, meaning your engine will run hotter and leaner. The last thing you want to do is use your hi-speed needle as a thermostat thinking you need to keep heat in your engine, this is a mistake a lot of newbies make.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Santacruz

Ok ... After u dazzled me with all those big words i think i got to the point I need a temp gun and a pinch ? like the one i linked ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/sleeve-resizing-...meZWDVWQQrdZ1Q
If so thanks for the help and i hope it works
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 AM
digifox

new piston and sleeve time
Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM
droidswarm

Pinch refers to the fact that the piston sleeve is slightly narrower at the top than the bottom, rather than being a specific item. If the pinch is worn you need to replace the sleeve.

A temp gun should only cost 20 quid try, Apex models or 308 hobbies.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Santacruz

Sorry ... Im being stupid as normal ... i dont really understand this "pinch". . . do i need to take it to a shop to do it or what ?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM
neilt6

No, you need to buy a new sleave all together. Sleaves are made to have a pinch and your sleave is "worn out", the pinch has been worn off by the piston, you need to buy a new one and a new piston as well. New sleave + piston sets are usually around $40 - $50, and your LHS would probably be happy to install it for you. After you replace it, don't forget to break-in your engine again, as it's esencially "new".
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Santacruz

Hmmm ok ... one problem I cant find anywhere on the net here that does Sleeve and pistons sets ... Do they have to be specific for him HPI Firestorm or what ? and what if my hobby shop wont install it ? :P
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Santacruz

Oh and yet another stupid question from me but what size sleeve and piston does it need to be like .12 .18 .22 or something ... i dont know hehe
Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM
droidswarm

The piston and sleeve set are HPI Part number 15140, just take this to your local shop and they will be able to order it for you.

You can find all this in the firestorm manual which came with the car (page 28). If you dont have it, you can download it from the HPI website.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Santacruz

My local shops wont deal with hpi ... and i cant find that order number ... anywhere on net seems like they have all of them apart from that one ... so i guess im gonna need an entire engine ? []
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 AM
droidswarm

Phone up Apex Models on 01344 777918 with that part number and they will get it in for you.[sm=71_71.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.