Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

tower st-15 And if u are gonna tell me its junk don't bother lookin

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

tower st-15 And if u are gonna tell me its junk don't bother lookin

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tower st-15 And if u are gonna tell me its junk don't bother lookin

iam getting a tower hobbies nitro st-15 with a os. .18 and i wanted to know what should i buy ingnitor adn fuel wise i only have 30 bucks left over so that the limit without shipping.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Nick2618

Default RE: tower st-15 And if u are gonna tell me its junk don't bother lookin

Well if you do not buy a glow igniator you can not start the truck... Also get a couple extra glow plugs, spur gears, air filters. Just get some 20% fuel really anything but the tower brand. Also i highly recommened buying gas at your LHS. Even if you have to try a little gas is expensive to ship.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
nitro stan

i like my duratrax rapid heat glow starter/charger, and its cheap ,14 bucks. fuel is almost 30 bucks a gallon by its self and forget shipping it ,that will kill ya, unless you get it by the qt. anything 20% nitro should be fine. if this is your first nitro get RTR fuel it has more oil, more forgiving for new guys with little to none tuning experence. the o.s is a beast try and find yourself a wheelie bar that you can make work on the truck,you'll need it or you will spend more time flipping it back on to the wheels than driving it
Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

do i need 18 % lube
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 PM
yamahauler236

a cheap glow igniter and a lot of extra parts!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Nick2618

just go down to your lhs and get some fuel. Anything 20% that is NOT racing type. Racing has less oil.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Oliver_Klozov

you want sidewinder or blue thunder 20% Odonnell has 8% oil so stay away from it with your new motor but once it's broken in the ODonnell does excellent.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

You do not want to run over 12% OIL content and 20% nitro. If this is your first nitro yes do not go real low even thaw I have engines with well over 8 gallons running O’Donnell Race and they still run well and I broke them in on it. I recommend something like Byron 2000. You will never see me put Blue Thunder in any of mine. If you want to know why oil content has an affect read bellow. I have experienced everything stated below. Good luck and have fun.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM
neilt6

Just grab the cheapest Dubro rechargable glow driver they have, and some 20% Car fuel. I've found sidewinder to be a great beginners fuel because it's cheap, and it's got extra oil in it as well as MTEC (A compustion retarder). Thanks to the oil and MTEC you can completely screw your tuning up with little chance of damaging anything! Sure the performance may not be that great, but it sure saved my engine when I had it running WAY overlean by preventing detontation!!! Too bad it couldn't save it from that bad break-in I gave it.... [&o] Make sure you follow fuelman's heat cycle break-in, the standard idle through a tank breakin will completely destroy your sleave within a gallon like it did mine.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
46u

Good chance you ran way over lean do to, to much oil as stated above.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Santacruz

Lol 46 u like that thread about your oil dontcha ? I'd recommend not to get a dirt cheap glow igniter ive bought 2 and they're both ****
Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Oliver_Klozov

ORIGINAL: 46u

You do not want to run over 12% OIL content and 20% nitro. If this is your first nitro yes do not go real low even thaw I have engines with well over 8 gallons running O’Donnell Race and they still run well and I broke them in on it. I recommend something like Byron 2000. You will never see me put Blue Thunder in any of mine. If you want to know why oil content has an affect read bellow. I have experienced everything stated below. Good luck and have fun.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
So thats why when i put in the 20%nitro 8%Oil Odonnell my car ran 60 degrees cooler and had more power. I just thought the higher oil contect would lubricate more but i see where your coming from. Im using 20% Odonnell in a new motor right now but i don't care if it blows.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
neilt6

Of course I ran it overlean, most newbies will. In fact, newbies are almost garunteed to run overlean, that's why I'm recommending sidewinder. It may mask the lean bog, but it doesn't mask the temperature increase! As long as you have a temp gauge and use it, it's fine. Unless of course you want their engine to actually fry when they inevitably overlean them, in which case sidewinder is bad because it prevents this from happening. But for newbies who would rather keep their engines, I'd recommend sidewinder and an IR temp gauge for starter fuel. After you've got your overlean point figured out based on overheating experience, you can safely switch to O' Donnel and get your precious lean-bog back!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

im not worryied about blowing it up and tuning. i have a nabor who has the same truck and he will tune it and keep an eye on me. hes ben into rcs for a while and know's what hes doin. iam jw. whats the cheapest best brand of fuel?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:12 AM
46u

I have run many different fuels over the past 10 years and all I can say I will never run Sidewinder again. Run Sidewinder and in about a gallon take the motor apart and look at the build up! Now run Byron for a gallon and tell me what you see when you take your engine apart and make up your own mine. But like I all ways say run what makes you happy as I do. All so if you have to run Sidewinder run the Worlds or Pro blend as the Back Yard Basher has WAY to much oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [X(]All so when I was new to the hobby I never ran my engine lean!!!!!!!!![X(]
Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

what rims will fit on this will the traxxas rims fit ok? like the rustler ones?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 AM
46u

Did you check out this thread? 44 pages on the ST.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1319504/tm.htm
Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Nick2618

ORIGINAL: trev3813

what rims will fit on this will the traxxas rims fit ok? like the rustler ones?
I know for sure the rustler rims will not fit they use hex nuts on all 4 wheels. While the st-15 use hex in back and bearing in front. I will check to see if jato rims fit the st-15 for you later today.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Nick2618

If you want to run jato rims it would work but not the best. THe front wheel spindle which is the part that the wheel sits on is thicker on the jato then on the st-15. Any ways for the front tires you would have to buy [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFS7&P=ML]2x of these for a total of four[/link] and [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKMA5&P=7]one of these[/link]. To use them you sandwhich the spacer inbetween the two bearings. YOu will have 2 extra spacers. Now for the reason i say it is not too good is because in the front the tire will wobble a little do to front spindle being too small but its not that bad. And in the rear it will also shake a little but the stock rear tires do the same so no diff there.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Revotrx3
Banned

i got the truck a week ago and love it i got a ofna glow starter and iam runnin traxxas top fuel. 20% it already has not stock tires on it so iam good it has geolanders on it. man those things grip. thanks for the help keep posting great noob tips i might rename it.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Nick2618

if you are just looking to talk about the st-15 here would be the best place rather then renaming this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...45/key_/tm.htm

Glad you are having fun with your truck.