Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Best tires for sand

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 AM
catbutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for sand

I run my truck in the sand, its all there is where I live (its hard on these little cars, I know.) My car is a HPI mt2 and uses 2.2 tires and rims. I want to know what tires would provide the best hookup, other than paddles, which I have. I would like something less aggressive than paddles, but still with plenty of grip. I am currently looking at both large knobbies like these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDT93&P=7 and small knobbies like these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDX67&P=7, The gladiators would be the softer m3 compound version, its just the picture is better on the m2 medium version, though the link is there for the softer m3 compound further down the link. The softer compound would allow more of the tire surface to spread out over the terrain, but I am unsure if the small knobbies would grip well in sand. Would either of those be any good, or does anyone have a better suggestion? I currently have yokohama geolanders, proline masher 2000s and proline sand paws, so I have the paddle and chevron tread covered already. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 AM
digifox

Default RE: Best tires for sand

sling shots?

moab`ers? and your going to want the harder M2(hard surface=softer tire,soft surface=harder tire)

the dirt paws and Trac-Ta-Gator might work...long hard knobbies
the longer they are the more traction they`ll get
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 AM
sS(psycho)Ss

proline paddle tires.....?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I do not run in sand but yes I think sand paddles would be best but since you want something other then them you want something that the knobs are not close together. All so I would think you want a harder or medium compound.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 AM
46u

Size of the pins/blocks
There's a basic rule of thumb that says:"The softer the dirt, the bigger the pins need to be.". Long pins work by penetrating the (soft) soil, and short pins usually work by scraping off the upper layer of the soil.
Bear in mind that long pins and very soft compounds don't mix very well, then the spikes just bend over instead of penetrating the dirt.
Density of the pins/blocks
For a given tire width, the density of the pins is inversely proportional to the weight supported by each pin. There's usually an optimum, where the tire works best. For example: if a certain tire works very well when it's heavily loaded, but doesn't feel right when it isn't loaded, the tread pattern is probably too dense. This can happen in very dusty or soft conditions.
Tires for sticky mud usually have a very low spike density, because too much spikes cause too much stiction for the amount of traction they create, slowing the car down.
Pins or blocks
Round pins provide grip that feels the same in all directions, it feels consistent and it's somewhat easier to slide. Very useful on difficult, low-traction, bumpy tracks.
Square blocks feel more 'edgy', they can give the impression of generating slightly more grip, especially on smooth, hard surfaces. The forward traction they generate also feels nicer.
Center tread
Some tires have a larger tread pattern in the center, often shaped like an X, an I, or a T. In all cases, it increases forward traction dramatically.
Note that on 4WD cars, more forward traction from the front tires can also mean more steering.
1.2.2 Rubber compound
"The softer the surface, the harder the compound, and vice versa."
Some synthetic surfaces, like carpet or polished floors require specially formulated compounds, such as Schumacher's Yellow compound, and Medial Pro's Indoor compound.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM
rclynx

Seaside where the hell is that.............lol........besides next to old forts and championship raceways[X(] I have a few customers that drive down there to abuse there trucks but there a bit bigger........I like it though, that dune sand plays hell with the parts on all our little trucks to. But that makes me money Go with the Gladiator 2 thats what I use in that sand and the 3's hook up a little better but they rip apart quick next in line would be Dirt Works but the nubs prevent it from being as effective on that coarse sand.............if you get to the beech they work well though. One of my customers and I made a plastic plate to cover the whole bottom of his RC and it keeps a lot of sand out of the gears. Use Ice lube after you WD40 the whole thing and blow it off. Works real well for cleaning up those messes............good luck with the sand and if you ever come inland look us up and bring street tires[:-]
Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM
(X)

I'm guessing the Paddle tires, besides they're made for sand and soft dirt right?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: (X)

I'm guessing the Paddle tires, besides they're made for sand and soft dirt right?

If you read his post he says OTHER then paddle tires!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what you already have is good. But the m2 gladiators are your best bet. they handle like your truck is on rails! Worthy purchase. Atleast in soft dirt. Sand shouldnt be a problem with them iether.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
catbutt

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Seaside where the hell is that.............lol........besides next to old forts and championship raceways[X(] I have a few customers that drive down there to abuse there trucks but there a bit bigger........I like it though, that dune sand plays hell with the parts on all our little trucks to. But that makes me money Go with the Gladiator 2 thats what I use in that sand and the 3's hook up a little better but they rip apart quick next in line would be Dirt Works but the nubs prevent it from being as effective on that coarse sand.............if you get to the beech they work well though. One of my customers and I made a plastic plate to cover the whole bottom of his RC and it keeps a lot of sand out of the gears. Use Ice lube after you WD40 the whole thing and blow it off. Works real well for cleaning up those messes............good luck with the sand and if you ever come inland look us up and bring street tires[:-]

Next time one of your customers comes out here, tag along and bring your car. Give me a PM if you do, and I'll get my car ready. I have relatives in your area, I'll do the same and PM you when I am heading there. I have no street tires, though, unless I get the sand out of my geolanders. Right now they are out of commission. My grandparents own some land in Turlock where we could do some off-roading most likely if you can make it that direction. Well, pretty much all of rural Turlock is full of places you could run your car. Modesto has gotten so big most of the outlying farmland is all city now, but I'm sure there are still a few places you could go off-road. I grew up in that area and know it well. Pretty much from Lodi to Turlock and Merced are like my old stomping grounds.

Do you know of any off road tracks in that area? I would love to have a place to race seriously at. There is nothing that I know of where I'm at. Not even in San Jose, unless they are hiding it from me. We have nothing official but we have a nice little track we built on the dunes. It's a work in progress, but it's easy to change it, since we use those little flags you use to mark sprinklers in your yard to set out the track. We try to use the natural terrain as much as possible in the layout, and so far we have a nice, small track set up with 2 short straightaways, 1 large jump, a set of small moguls, a blind hill, an s-turn, and a few higher speed turns. The flags allow us to alter it any way we like, and so far no one has hassled us or messed up the track. So far we do a 5 lap short race, soon we will also run it backwards. As soon as we get bored, we can just go down 100 feet and theres new terrain to lay out a new track. The bad side is the sand. It gets everywhere and eats bearings. The up side is its soft to land in, I have my shocks set so the car bottoms out on large jumps so the chassis takes the hit as opposed to the suspension. It works very well, I have only broken one thing, an A-arm, yesterday, when my buddy took the big jump WOT and landed FULLY on the left front tire. OUCH. I'm glad it broke, I have a spare, and the rest of the car was unhurt. We have no real choice to run in the sand, though. It is present to some degree in all the soil for about an hours drive around here.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM
46u

There are not any classes for a 4-wheel drive stadium truck but some club races they might let you run it. Did you check in the Regional Racer and Basher forums here? You all so can try this.
http://rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmod.as...62CC91D491725B
Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know a friend that took his bald tmaxx's tires when he was board one day, he took roofing nails and put a bunch in every tire, and then topped it off with rubber cement inside the tire to keep them in, they worked great![sm=idea.gif] but... i see it this way, what the hell happens if one decides to fly out at top speed??[sm=eek.gif]

but, i had some mashers 2000's on my evader and ran it in some play sand and it dug in! i imagine that the origanal mashers will be your best bet due to the thick and wide V treatd. proline makes a great tire