Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Stainless Steel Screws???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
FirestormBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Screws???

I just bought a hpi firestorm. After removing some parts I have realized how crappy the hardware is on these trucks. I'm just wondering is it worth the time to buy on of those Ebay screw kits? I'm just affraid I will get it and it will be missing a bunch of pieces, or nothing will fit correctly.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:20 PM
rclynx

Default RE: Stainless Steel Screws???

go to a hardware store or a store that specializes in screws and get the same screws for pennies on the dollar[&o]
Old 08-30-2007, 06:27 PM
FirestormBasher

Tnx mate! But, is stainless the way to go?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:42 PM
rclynx

not necessarily, I use a lot of zink or black anodized..........cheaper and just as good........to me stainless is way over rated..........titanium isn't bad but its out of my ball park[&:]
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stanless is much stronger than most stock screws. i always have problems with the motor mount screws stripping out on me. stainless is more resistant to stripping, but this poses a risk of stripping out any aluminum you go into, replacing a screw is much eaiser than replacing a motor mount!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Stainless is strong but very brittle! They have a tendency to snap. All so stainless has a tendency to galled the threads in aluminum unless you put the proper lube on them then you cannot use loctite.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 AM
RCtruckRacer

Stainless screws are rated for corrosion resistance and not strength. They are not stronger. Get some decent hardened steel screws from Tony's Screws or HexHead.

The tensile strength of stainless is typically around 100,000psi while a grade 8 screw (what you'd get from the above vendors) will be at least 150,000psi. But, stainless isn't graded for strength so it could be slightly stronger or slightly less strong. Stay away from RC Screws and such for anything you would use loctite on, or you'll be sorry!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 PM
zeddfirstwizard

R/C truck racer is right, they are not rated to be tougher. You can get grade 3 stainless and grade 3 zinc, it omly means that they won't rust or corode. If you drive in the water or after rain alot or play in the mud you might wan't them but I just stick with regular grade 5 and haven;t had A problem yet. And they dont cost much more but its all in what you wan't.