Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

reach for the SKY!!!! MT jumping

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:07 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reach for the SKY!!!! MT jumping

What? where you expecting pictures???, sorry, i forgot to take them because i was having too much fun.[sm=bananahead.gif]

the neighbor kid has a 3ft quarter pipe and he wanted me to jump it, well ive been soft on my truck so far so why not? i did some pratice runs and even a little 5mph jump propelled the car 7 feet, i did some more runs, progressivly more brutal, even when landed near perfect it somtimes pops off a camber rod, i took it off at 25mph, FWOOOM!!!! it jumps up at least 15 feet in the air and 30feet away, lands perfect and i bring around once more, then i tried again but this time i flipped it and landed perfect! and for the finnallie it took it upto 35mph and when it landed something whent wrong, it hit so hard that it shifted the carb and popped off the linkage, it topped out and did a wheelie flipped over and ran dry. i think that was engough for one day!

any way to my point, this is the HPI MT 1 and if you know anything about them, they have no slipper clutch and again because that little accident it striped some teeth AGAIN! so i was wondering if anyone out there knows how to upgrade to a slipper clutch and how much it will be. im not going to drill into the chassis so i need a direct drop in.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
ehroof

Default RE: reach for the SKY!!!! MT jumping

i have a slipper clutch in my mt, you can get them aftermarket, it takes a different spur gear. I will try to look it up for you.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:37 PM
ehroof

found it, here you go:

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/72230.jpg
Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to put a slipper in use the MT2 slipper and is what I have in my MT1. It says not for the original MT but it will work Would be a good idea to up date to MT2 center drive cups and shafts as well as they are quite a bit thicker. All so this slipper uses Savage spurs.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXFYP4&P=K
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 AM
angus67

you may have to fix a few things, but have you ever had so much fun and smiled till it hurt? I love putting on revo springs on my jato and letting it fly at a skate park!Unfortunately, skate parks are only empty when it rains[&o]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: 46u

If you are going to put a slipper in use the MT2 slipper and is what I have in my MT1. It says not for the original MT but it will work Would be a good idea to up date to MT2 center drive cups and shafts as well as they are quite a bit thicker. All so this slipper uses Savage spurs.

that wont work with the original mt unless you have a different engine than the fe or the te since you cant adjust where the engine is and the stock has the fixed engine with 12 tooth clutch bell, i have the .18 cvrx in mine but still use the 12 tooth clutch bell, will swap with a bigger bell since its tops out way too fast, this setup for the mt also uses savage clutch bells.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWC18&P=7
Old 09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
The_Shark

cool, so its a direct bolt on since i have a cv-r .18?

i had to strip the car and re shape the chassis back to normal, it was bent when i got it but i finally decided to fix it. now its nice and flat with bent edges like normal. heh, i saved another $55.

now i can only move this engines away and twards the spur, but i cant move it foward and back past it, will it still work? and when you mean fixed, it cant move in any direction right? thats what those four holes are?

aghh! i got to be sure as i dont want to through money into the wind!
Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 PM
ehroof

the one i posted works in my hpi mt1, i also have the os cvrx .18 in it too. its a direct fit 100%, i dont know about the other one, it does say not for the original mt
Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
The_Shark

hmmm, its alot more, which tells me that its a scam... well, im waiting for 46u's answer and i will make my desision.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:50 PM
ehroof

i couldnt figure out why it was more but seems different than the other one.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:19 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: ehroof

the one i posted works in my hpi mt1, i also have the os cvrx .18 in it too. its a direct fit 100%, i dont know about the other one, it does say not for the original mt

If you want a slipper that is not worthwhile then that is the one to get! I KNOW as I ran both and is why HPI changed! I thought he said he had the OS 18 CV-RX so should not be a problem in running the one I listed and is the one I run in my MT1!

This is a cut and past from and article off HPI web site right after the MT2 came out. Look down the page till you come to slipper clutch and see what HPI recommends!!!!!![X(][X(][X(]

While the Nitro MT 2 on the surface looks the same as the older Nitro MT, there are in fact a wide variety of changes and the difference between the two trucks is very significant from a "conversion" point of view, however a conversion can be done if you don't want to buy the Nitro MT 2 truck.

Upgrading your old Nitro MT to the brand new Nitro MT 2 can be done easily by purchasing just a few items. You can upgrade various parts of the truck one by one according to your budget, or you can upgrade everything at once!

Suspension
One of the biggest advantages the Nitro MT 2 has over the original Nitro MT is in the suspension. Longer front arms plus longer front and rear shocks provide a plush, smooth ride that allow the Nitro MT 2 to roll over just about anything. Upgrading the front end is easy � you just need a few parts:

Front Suspension
85074 Suspension Arm Set (2 required)
85076 Front Upright Set
A280 Flange Shaft Set (use A284 3x30mm flange shafts)
Z242 E-Clips 2mm

Each #85074 Suspension Arm Set includes one front and one rear suspension arm, so you can upgrade your rear suspension arms at the same time. While the measurements of the rear arms are the same, they are much tougher and more durable.

To really upgrade the front suspension, you will need the longer front shocks of the Nitro MT 2. You can just move your Nitro MT�s rear shocks to the front, since the front Nitro MT 2 shocks are the same length as the rear Nitro MT shocks. This of course would require you to get a new pair of rear shocks:

Rear Shocks
86168 Flange Shaft 3x33mm
Z224 Washer M3x8x0.5
A716 Sport Shock Set (77-117mm)

The new Nitro MT 2 shocks have an improved design, with a bottom cap that threads on and will not �pop off� when landing huge jumps. You can also get the front Nitro MT 2 shocks with the threaded bottom cap:

Front Shocks
A715 Sport Shock Set (70-103mm)

Front Bumper
While you�re upgrading the front end and it�s all taken apart, you can go ahead and upgrade the front bumper to the new brush guard style bumper. This is one of the most prominent outward features of the Nitro MT 2 and does help protect the front end in crashes and tumbles. Here are the parts necessary to update the front bumper:

Front Bumper
85071 Shock Tower Set
85072 Lower Mount Set
85073 Front Bumper Set
Z571 TP. Binder Head Screw M3x20mm
Z567 TP. Binder Head Screw M3x10mm

Slipper Clutch
The Nitro MT 2 slipper clutch is a new design using Savage monster truck parts and is made to slip less than the older optional slipper clutch. The Nitro MT 2 slipper clutch includes a new spur gear, however you must use the drive cups from your Nitro MT.

New Slipper Clutch
87138 Slipper Clutch Set

Drivetrain
The Nitro MT 2 features thicker dogbones, which in turn requires larger drive cups, diff shafts and axles. All of these components have been strengthened on the new truck to make sure they can handle the power of the new Nitro Star T-15 engine. While it is possible to upgrade the drivetrain of your Nitro MT to the specs of the Nitro MT 2, if you plan to upgrade all the suspension and drivetrain components, it would be cheaper (and much easier) to purchase a complete Nitro MT 2 truck, which would give you all-new parts plus all the updates in one preassembled truck.

However, for the Nitro MT owner who wants to upgrade a little at a time, we will list the parts necessary to update the drivetrain of the Nitro MT 2:

Drive Train
86225 Cup Joint 7x19mm (D Cut)
86226 Gear Shaft 5x38x7mm (2 required)
86227 Diff Shaft 5x26x7mm (2 required)
86228 Axle 5x36x7mm
86229 Axle 5x41x7mm
86230 Dogbone 7x86mm (2 required)
86232 Dogbone 7x83mm
86233 Dogbone 7x57mm
86234 Cup Joint 7x19mm

Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Shupid_one

cool, so its a direct bolt on since i have a cv-r .18?

i had to strip the car and re shape the chassis back to normal, it was bent when i got it but i finally decided to fix it. now its nice and flat with bent edges like normal. heh, i saved another $55.

now i can only move this engines away and twards the spur, but i cant move it foward and back past it, will it still work? and when you mean fixed, it cant move in any direction right? thats what those four holes are?

aghh! i got to be sure as i dont want to through money into the wind!

Once aluminum bends and you straighten it back it is very weak so I recommend looking for another chassis! It will not be long till it is bent again particularly if you are doing big jumps!

HPI said the 100cc tank would not fit in a MT1 well if you would like I can post a picture where I have one in my MT1 and only took some very easy modifications.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 PM
ehroof

i dont know how you come off saying that the one i posted and have in my truck is not worhwhile, why because you dont have it in your truck, all i can say is that i have it, it works great, i have no problems with it and it was designed and made for my truck.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
46u

Did you even see what HPI says in the above cut and past I posted that came off HPI web site? Have you tried both slippers like I have? I know form experience which works better and so does HPI!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM
ehroof

i did see :
Slipper Clutch
The Nitro MT 2 slipper clutch is a new design using Savage monster truck parts and is made to slip less than the older optional slipper clutch. The Nitro MT 2 slipper clutch includes a new spur gear, however you must use the drive cups from your Nitro MT.

but i do own the one i posted and it works just fine, i have no problems with it what so ever, works great. I say its far from not being worth while, it work great for me with the os .18 cvrx and its a direct fit with no augmenting what so ever.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 PM
The_Shark

so the answer is "direct drop in"? if so it sounds like its a total scam... the original drop in that is.

yeah, I'm aware that aluminum only goes back into shape once or twice until it snaps. it fatigues bad and every bend takes a toll on tensile strength.
but the chassis wasn't bent too bad, it was off by maybe 2degreese, so it should be fine for what i do, i usually baby my car but i felt a little rough that day. and if the chassis ever fails on me, ill just get a new mt2 rolling chassis

yeay, i have spell checker now!!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
46u

You will only be able to get the original one till they run out of stock, as they do not make them any more! Any one with good senses is going to go to the newer better up dated one. The newer version is basically like on a Savage and if it works on a 12 pound monster truck will work great on a MT!!!!!!!!!! With the one that came in my MT1 Racer kit just slipped too much and is why when I up dated my MT1 to a MT 1 3/4 the slipper was one of the first things I changed. All so with the newer version you have 3 size spurs to interchange and the original one you could only get the 52!!!!!!!!!! All so ALL the MT2 come with slippers not like some of the MT1.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
ehroof

why does it say "This works only for the MT 2, not for the original MT" if its a direct fit? do you need anything else to put it in.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
46u

Might be because Tower is trying to get rid of there old stock most do not want! On the newer version they have it where they take the newer type of setscrews with a hole in the shaft but still works with the older cups and screws. The newer drive cups and drive shafts are bigger. The newer setscrews are these with the pin on them.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLG8&P=7
Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 AM
The_Shark

ok, i will try to pick up a savage set today.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
46u

You want the one for the MT 2, which uses many Savage parts but is not just like a Savage. The spur, slipper pad and metal plate are the same.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
The_Shark

so i dont need updated outdrive cups?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 PM
46u

No you do not need them but are a good idea. The problem is to up grade a MT1 to MT2SS specifications cost more then buying a new MT2SS or close.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
The_Shark

yeah i know. when the car craps out past repair im getting a new roller!

i think these are updated because they are preety beefy, i dobt they will ever fail.

the next upgrade is bigger rear shocks, i have the big ones in the front but the stock ones in the back.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
doesgo

Interesting thread! And 46u is correct, as usual. The MT2 slipper is a direct bolt-in EXCEPT for the drive cups. That's why HPI says it's not a direct bolt-in, becuase it's not COMPLETELY a full swap. That said, it's a VERY easy swap and worth every penny. I had the MT1 slipper and still upgraded because the MT2 version is simply superior. If adjusted perfectly the old-style slipper worked, but that rarely lasted, at least for me. I'd either get too much slip on the disc and melt it, or it'd be tight enough to not slip excessively, and then I'd break teeth.

Also, Savage spurs are cheap and available just about everywhere and are available in three different tooth counts, plus steel spurs are available from a few sources.

If your MT1 slipper still works for you, great! But if you start having problems or have trouble finding spurs, switch to the MT2 slipper. It's worth it.

Oh, and the engine has nothing to do with it. I've run it on O.S. and Epic small blocks and a couple .21 big-blocks, too!