Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

RC10GT Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10GT Problem

Im having a problem with the spur gear. I recently upgraded to a four shoe clutch and redid the mesh on the gear. Ive run for about 15min and burned through three spur gears. Now the problem is that its not just tearging them up, its melting the plastic. Would it be that with the extra friction, my idle is too high and its causing it to melt and create a weak spot? Or do you think its just a mesh and tranny problem? Im also finding it hard to get parts for the old RC10GT, its not the tub, but its not the 2 either. My local stores stoped carrying them saying Associated is too hard to work with, any suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Default RE: RC10GT Problem

One more comment, its just in one spot on the gear, about two teeth are stripped off, the rest are in perfect condition. Would a metal spur fix this?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

ive got the robinson racing metal spur gear in mine and it runs great. but it might be better to keep the plastic ones so they go out instead of an internal tranny gear which will prob be alot harder to get ahold of. but you prob should make sure that your clutch shoes arent touching the bell when they are idling which could cause the bell to get too hot makin the spur to melt like u said. also what clutch kit are you using?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Im using the Associated clutch conversion kit, how do you check to see if the shoes are touching? i dont think that there a return, or idle spring system on this size engine.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 PM

with the engine out of the car does the clutch bell spin freely or does it have resistance? what type of engine are you running?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 PM

I have the Associated .15 pull start. I readjusted the control linkages on the break and throtal. I also re-adjusted the entire carb (high end, low end, and idle) Engine runs slower and cooler, i left it slightly rich. I just bash with it, so no reason to run lean. I also adjusted the mesh after re-installing the engine. It ran well for two tanks of gas, but then the clutch ceased. I removed the engine and found that the stock bearings on the replaced bell have worn out and came apart. Im going to get new bearings, i hope that this fixes my spur gear problem. I havent run the truck since 03 and have learned much about mechanics and adjustments since then. So thanks for the help! I think that i have resolved the problems for now, other then where to get parts, but not online.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 PM

it might have been the bad bearing getting the bell to hot like you said. get a 4 in 1 clutch by MIP thats the best one i ever used. its about $10
Old 11-30-2007, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrorcr182

I have the Associated .15 pull start. I readjusted the control linkages on the break and throtal. I also re-adjusted the entire carb (high end, low end, and idle) Engine runs slower and cooler, i left it slightly rich. I just bash with it, so no reason to run lean. I also adjusted the mesh after re-installing the engine. It ran well for two tanks of gas, but then the clutch ceased. I removed the engine and found that the stock bearings on the replaced bell have worn out and came apart. Im going to get new bearings, i hope that this fixes my spur gear problem. I havent run the truck since 03 and have learned much about mechanics and adjustments since then. So thanks for the help! I think that i have resolved the problems for now, other then where to get parts, but not online.
yeah like bigtreads said it could have been a bearing. when you get your new bearings before you put the engine back in check to make sure that the bell is spinning freely and not catching anything. and i also use the mip clutch in my gt and it works great for me also.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 PM

Take a look at the clutch nut before you stick a new set of bearings on it...If it is worn, it will eat the new bearings in a New York minute.
When you put the clutch together, do you put the shoes in leading, or trailing? I always put mine in so they engage with the leading edge, but I'm just running 2 shoes with a spring. If they are put in trailing, it is conceivable that they slip enough to generate enough heat to melt the spur. One time I put a set of trimmed stock shoes in backwards like that, just to see. I knew immediately that it wasn't right, and it blued the bell in just a couple of laps around my track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuszkqne0Mk
Shameless plug for my new vid of my track, and my new puppy(not so new anymore, I got him this spring)