Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which nitro should i buy Traxxas Rustler or HPI Firestorm?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Which nitro should i buy Traxxas Rustler or HPI Firestorm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
TripleR400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which nitro should i buy Traxxas Rustler or HPI Firestorm?

i'm looking to buy a nitro but what should i get? i like both sport and rustler but i think but i like the rusty better... also i doont know whether to get the rusty or the firestorm.... im looking for something that will handle good and has good power and plus i wnat something that has a lot of aftermarket support cause i wanna hop-up whatever i get with stuff like RPM a-arms, wheels, shocks, bodies and etc. and i want something thats tuff enough for a bashing.... i am new to the nitro scene and any of your help and advice would be appreciated...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
dirtbikekid123

Default RE: Nitro Sport or Nitro Rustler??? Help me decide

Go with the rustler cuz it has a way higher top speed and if u ever decided to drop a traxxas 3.3 engine or an o.s it would probably hit 60 to 70 mph. The rustler has lots of upgrades and soon enough u can turn it into the almighty JATO. The sport may be a little(emphazize little) beefier the rustler is sooo totally worth the little extra money.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
robbio4422

rustler!!!! you dont need a 3.3 in it.. its fast as hell aready. just get as much rpm parts as you can and get a new pipe... good to go for well under 500 bucks
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM
TripleR400

i know the rustler are fast but i was thinking of buying the sport cause its cheaper therefore leaving me more money for hop ups... are there a lot ofhop up parts for the sport?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
sloppyG

if you get a better RC to start you don't need "hop ups"

most hop ups are junk anyways, and just make the truck different for the sake of making it different, sometimes making performance worse

there are many rc's nicer than the rustler even, for not much more $$ or even for the same $$
Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
jentzsch

I have been very happy with my Nitro Sport! It is fast enough for my needs. It will out run my dog, and she is a bullet! Not that thats saying much....
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
TripleR400

thanks... i think im gonna go with the sport it's cheaper and seems to be pretty durable... i have heard of people turning their sport into a rustler, how do they do that?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
[email protected]

sport and rustler are almost identical at top and bottom chassis replacement and they are the exact same car.

so rustler and it has a 2.5 the .15 gets really boring after a while.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
rclynx

Rusty - Rusty - Rusty - People like them a lot more than the sport and most of the sport owners just have them because there short of change [:-]
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Lol i owned a sport, what a peice of junk that pro.15 is, it wont hold a tune for anything. The word "Idle" doesnt exist to that engine either. It also likes to stall alot.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 AM
drummer4

DONT GET THE SPORT, IF YOURE TRYIGN TO SAVE MOENY YOU WONT BE. THE MONEY U SAVE GETTING THE SPORT IS GONNA END UP BEING SPENT TO FIX THE SPORT. AND THE BOTTOM DECK OF IT IS PLASTIC WHILE THE RUSTLER HAS ALUMINUM LOWER CHASSIS. MY FRIND HAD A SPORT WHICH BROKE IN SO MANY PLACES. U WONT SAVE MONEY BECAUSE ULL EB BUYING PARTS THAT THE RUSTLER WONT NEED. I HAVE RUSTLER AND ITS PULLS WHEELIES ON COMMAND. CRAZY TRUCK AND WORTH THE EXTAR MINEY. WHY WOUDL U GO AHEAD AND BUYA CHEAPER TRUCK THAT WUD BREAK. WAIT A LITTLE LONGER SAVE UP A LITTLE BIT MORE MONEY AND GET THE PROVEN TRCUK THAT EVERYONE RECCOMENDS. 2.5 IS QUICK AS HELL AND GREAT ENGINE. YES, IVE HAD TO REPLACE A FEW PLASTIC PARTS LIEK THE FRONT AXLE CARRIERS, BUT THEY ARE CHEAP. I ENDED UP DOING AN ASSOCIATED RC10 STEERING CONVERSION WITH PARTS FORM AN ELECTRIC RC10 I HAD LAYIGN AROUND. NOW MY RUSTELR HAS BALL AND PINION INSTEAD OF THE SCREWS. CHANGED TO MIP CVD AXLES BUT THEY EVENTUALLY BROKE. IM GOING BACK TO STOCK AXLES FOR NOW. MY OPINION IS TO CHOOSE THE RUSTLER
THANKS,
DAN
Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
TripleR400

thanks i think i'm going to get the rustler
Old 05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
jentzsch

I hate to "brake" it to you, but the rusty can be broken just as easy as a sport. And the bottom is aluminum buddy, may not be all, but it does have some....

You rally your rusty enough, you ARE GOING TO BRAKE PARTS!!!!!!!!!!! If you rally your sport enough, YOU ARE GOING TO BRAKE PARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get what you like. I LOVE my sport!!!! Plus, if and when I do a rusty conversion to it, I will get better understanding of the truck and more build knowledge. Its a hobby for a reason..... meaning, you are meant to brake, repair, upgrade, and other wise continue to build your experience with it.

Bottom line, the rusty will brake and you will end up spending money either way for parts. WHEN, my sport brakes, I will just buy beefier parts, no big deal. I already need a new front shock tower after loosing a battle with a pole....

Again, its all part of the hobby. It can be frustrating, but I enjoy working on the truck when it brakes, just not waiting for the parts..

-enjoy-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88354.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	955039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62497.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	955040  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM
[email protected]

well or you can all rpm for your rustler and make it unbreakable........bumb dem sports wit that lil punie engine...just remember you get what you pay for.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
TripleR400

trust me, i plan on something breaking... i'm not buying one to set it on the shelf, however i will make sure to take care of it BUT it will be used (bashing)...
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I have driven both, and I like my firestorm the best, I think it is faster than the 2.5 rustler. Having said that, the LHS doesn't carry much firestorm parts. If your LHS has parts for a rustler then get it, or vice versa.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
TripleR400

ive been doing alot of research and it seems to me that the rustler has more hop up parts.. i def want something durable
Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
NitroNate

Default RE: Which nitro should i buy Traxxas Rustler or HPI Firestorm?

I'm not saying that the rustler isn't durable(under certain circumstances),but the Firestorm is more durable.It a don't need hop-ups to make it stronger or more powerful.ITS A BEAST JUST AS IT IS!![>:]
Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 PM
TripleR400

ive noticed that the firestorm seems to have stell gears so it probably could handle bigger motor, it is cheaper, and has a pull start which i like... i would like to see some firestorms that have been tricked out a little
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
NitroNate

Heres a link to some of my Firestorm bash videos: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7524290/tm.htm [8D].
Old 05-23-2008, 09:03 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TripleR400

ive noticed that the firestorm seems to have stell gears so it probably could handle bigger motor, it is cheaper, and has a pull start which i like... i would like to see some firestorms that have been tricked out a little
Here is a vid of my firestorm with a new O.S. 18 CVR motor.wheelies on demand 55+ mph (Estimate) sorry about the vid quality. my camera is junk.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...vidpics003.flv
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM
[email protected]

haha you like pullstart just wait till you get one you won't love it then oh the blisters
Old 05-24-2008, 02:35 PM
omg no name

bump start is the best
Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM
nitrosport963

get the sport i have one its ok but not as fast as the rusty good for beginners
Old 05-31-2008, 09:45 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

haha you like pullstart just wait till you get one you won't love it then oh the blisters
I personally prefer pull starts. I got an O.S. 18 CVR that had a tiger drive on it, guess what i did? I went out and bought I pull start for it. I don't like to have a starter that I have to carry around with me when I can just pull a cord. I have a raze that has a roto start on it and when I replace the motor it will have a pullstart. It all about what YOU like!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.