http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...m&part_id=3321

and mounting a axial .32 spec 1S

Would this be overkill?

Any idea how much louder it would be?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Mspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jato w/ Big Block

Some people are going to disagree with me, but in my opinion you should be getting a monster truck or a truggy if you want to run a big block. The stadium trucks are made light for speed and handling. If you put a big block in a ST your giving it a ton more bottom end and less top end revs. Basically, a heavy big block was made to push heavy trucks that require the extra torque. Plus, the jato has a weakness in the tranny gears for even some of the .21 sized motors, they strip out. So putting a load of heavy weight on the rear with that big block giving it more traction and adding a whole lot more bottom end would just put more stress on a the already stressed jato tranny gears. Also, your weight balance is going to be all out of wack when you jump you will see how rear heavy it is. Just get the .21 tm and you will have enough bottom end in the Jato that you will not know what to do with it all. If thats not enough buku pipe the .21tm and then you will probably be glad you never considered that big .32 gas hog.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Mspeed

If you want to experience a big block and like bashing in really rough areas probably like you do with your pede, I would suggest getting a revo and swaping the 3.3 to your jato, then get the new .26maxx (newest model that just came out) with traxxas BB mount and put that thing in the revo. I have run the .32 axial in my savage and revo and its not all that what you think it is for a BB. Sure its powerful but I rather have a .26maxx especially since they revised it. Its a good fit in the revo too.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:52 PM
j8to33

I think that is overkill but if you still want to go big block try the os 21tm. You don't have to convert the chassis or anything. You just need a header ($10)
Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 AM
scottywilkes

My jato is BB, and i can tell you, the stock transmission WILL NOT, take the punishment from a BB, my tranny is full bronze geared, but the fella no longer makes them.

Im running a Mach 427 and a STS28 in mine, ALOT of fun, can push very high gearing for rediculous speeds, other than that, it has huge torque as well lol

Look in the Jato thread for pics of it at the last race meet if u want
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM
josh h

Why the hell would you put a .32 in a vehicle that you can hardly control with a .19(3.3) in it? Even if the drivetrain can handle it, as light as the jato is, it will never hook up on any surface. Here at the shop we have 2 jatos. the thing will not run straight unless you slowly give it throttle. My truggy beats it in short drags due to low traction. Do what you want but I don't think you will like it because you can't control it. It will just spin and spin. Would you put a 426 Hemi in a go-cart...
Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Mekong

ORIGINAL: josh h
Would you put a 426 Hemi in a go-cart...
Hmmm sounds like a good idea!

No but really, I am kinda useto overpowered. I have great fun driving my e-pede on 14.4volts Nimh or 11.1v with lipo. Throttle control is all you need.

Well the 3.3 is still good for now, just looking to see what to replace it with.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Mspeed

.21 TM gets my vote if you like power and speed in the Jato.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 AM
scottywilkes

to josh H, i can tell you from experience that it is VERY controlable, Full throttle results in instant wheelies, but the nice thing with the BB is, u dont need to hammer the throttle, i can get oin the wheels at 1/2 throttle very easily with the highest gearing available. I find it very easy to control.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mekong

ORIGINAL: josh h
Would you put a 426 Hemi in a go-cart...
Hmmm sounds like a good idea!

No but really, I am kinda useto overpowered. I have great fun driving my e-pede on 14.4volts Nimh or 11.1v with lipo. Throttle control is all you need.

Well the 3.3 is still good for now, just looking to see what to replace it with.
That made me think... check out this vid. Its awesome! not quite a 426 hemi though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmxa...eature=related
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
jikkuria

the o.s. .21 is a great choice, as it is a small block and very powerfull. but if you do choose a bigblock i recommend a ninja .21 as it hits 43,000 rpm, and is top quality. but to get extreme speed, i say put revo gears on it, but you may need to rig the motor mounts to get the gears to mesh.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Mspeed

Until a company makes some decent tranny gears for the jato, you are going to be replaceing the gears alot if you run something more powerful than a .21tm. Even the .21tm is too much for the tranny. Just depends on your slipper settng and tires you run how fast your tranny last.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
scottywilkes

companies allready do mate. Theres a fella who makes bronze tranny gears on ebay, wherei got mine from, they have taken the punishment from a 1/8th NEU brushless motor on 3s lipo, Surefire 32, Mach 427, STS28 and are still going strong.

Also Hotracing make a full hardened alloy gearset
Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Mspeed

The hot racing ones are not as good as you might think. I know alot of people that have tried them and they dont last longer than the plastic/nylon ones. The ebay bronze was have not been posted in 4 months. I think the fellow that made them decided to quit. So no more optioins are available as of now. If robinsion racing made some it would be a different story. Or even if a manufacture decided to make a alum. tranny case that would help keep everything meshed under load and last a bit longer.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Mspeed

If you want I can link you the problems people have had with the hotracing gears. Yes, I know the bronze were good when they were available, but expensive.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 AM
scottywilkes

link would be cool mate, i only heard of them of 1 person, and he spoke the world of them, allthough his truck looked like it sat on the shelf more than anything LOL.

The bronze ones are great, mine are to the point that they have started to sharpen, through hours and hours of big blocks and 1/8th brushless systems LOL. I mangled the pinion because the dam grub shaft came out[] but ive been running the stock plastic pinion for a good 1 gallon and its still fine.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Mspeed

Look at post number 90 by Nitroblur [link=http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=404226&page=3]link[/link] Post number 175 by revonitro [link=http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=404226&page=5]link[/link] The guys who are using the plastic/nylon gears are tending to get more life out of them than the one's using the hotracing ones. Even the guy who use to make the bronze gears tried starting out with alum. ones and said they didnt hold up under high load conditions. He went bronze cause its lighter than steel(less rotation mass) and still stronger than alum. under load. I am hoping someone will start by making a alum tranny case, then at least make the smaller pinion on first gear out of steel and the smaller diff gear out of steel too. That way you dont have steel riding on steel, and when one gear goes out you dont lose them all. That small pinion first gear seems to let go easy and the larger first gear it rides with is a bit more tougher cause more contact due to its larger size. The smaller diff gear in steel would pretty much solve the jatos issues there. That main diff is tough enough that even the guy who made the bronze didnt bother with it.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 PM
scottywilkes

thats small pinion is the one i mangled in bronze, ive been running standard plastic for a good gallon now, the teeth have started to bend a littl though, but it hasnt stripped yet. Its taken alot of punishment.

Also i think i heard that someone does have a alloy trany case, surely integy or one of those inferior brands would have 1? Allthough i dont think id trust the shody cast alloy of them
Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Mspeed

I do not know anyone that makes a alum tranny case for the jato. If you can find one let me know I would buy it even if it was integy. I agree with the smaller pinion 1 st gear, I go through those first before anything else goes.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 PM
ajfscala

can anyone help me find a engine mount to put a big block in the Jato...... i know that new era makes a kit but i am just looking for the motor mount. i have two jatos and i am getting really funky with one and installing a hyper 21 all i need is the mount and the right gearing i don't want to spend the money on the whole kit. if anyone knows where i can get just the mount email me at [email protected] thank you
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 AM
f0rb3s

for gearing u can make a 45 or a 38 tooth cb. u need a rustler diff gear and i believe its a 20 tooth stock cb. its been a while scince i made one... (i'll look if anyone is interested)
with the big block u r gonna have to run taller gearing in order to get speed...