Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Best/Fastest O.S. Motor for nitro rustler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Best/Fastest O.S. Motor for nitro rustler

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
rustler1882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best/Fastest O.S. Motor for nitro rustler

Looking to do an engine swap for my rusty... I noticed on the OSwebsite theres a turbo motor - the 18TZ... what is the best for my rusty - thanks - or any other motor yoiu think is better and faster please let me know.
Thanks
Rustler1882
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Best/Fastest O.S. Motor for nitro rustler

Probably either the .18TZ or the O.S. .21TM. I hear both motors are about equal with the .21 being more torquey. But with the .21 you might have to do some tranny work. I'd go with the O.S. .18TZ. That motor will definitely shock you. BE careful it's smaller than the 3.3, but it packs WAYYYYYYY harder of a punch.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the .18TZ. Its cheaper than the .21TM as well. OS motors are great and easy to tune as well. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
rustler1882

Great thank you both for the input, I was on the O.S. website and there are just so many to choose from I dont know where to start! I'll take your advice and go for the .18tz and be weary of the power punch
Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Chris_RC

You said you are practicing on a track, well the biggest egnine you can have in gas truck is a .12 engine if you do racing. Some good .12 engines are only about $70-$150 and they are much smoother and easier to control than a .18tz, which would be good for street runs, but IMO it gets boring having soo much power you can't really go anywhere to have fun.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Nitrohobo

lol chris you are 100% right on that i have the rustly with the os 18tz and that was fast i put a tuned exausht on it i cant even drive in on my street. if i cliped a tire at those speeds its all down hill from there
Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 PM
quietnas1

The title says BEST/FASTEST OS MOTOR. That would be the .18TZ. Speed does not get boring. For you maybe. Your more of a racer than a basher so your needs and wants may be different. This is all based on opinions though. IMO the .18TZ is great for bashing and decent off road. Look I have a way over powered Jato and have a blast every time I take it out. It does good off road as well. It all depends on driver skill as well. IDK just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

The title says BEST/FASTEST OS MOTOR. That would be the .18TZ. Speed does not get boring. For you maybe. Your more of a racer than a basher so your needs and wants may be different. This is all based on opinions though. IMO the .18TZ is great for bashing and decent off road. Look I have a way over powered Jato and have a blast every time I take it out. It does good off road as well. It all depends on driver skill as well. IDK just my opinion.
Look, I really don't consider fun zipping up and down the streets at 60mph, and when you get on the dirt you want something controlled rather than too much power. Most of the time I would say get the fastest combo then turn down Expo on your radio but Traxxas radios dont have expo.You say the .18TZ is 'decent' offroad just like your jato is 'decent' offroad?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Nitrohobo

lol at that chris. but i think even when i get pin tires for my rustler its still just going to want to break lose on the dirt maby if i gave it quarter throttle it might not break lose. but ive had it break lose right at the top of the jump and shot me off side ways.... landing in a pond it sucked lol. im not the best driver off road but its hella hard with this thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Look, I really don't consider fun zipping up and down the streets at 60mph, and when you get on the dirt you want something controlled rather than too much power. Most of the time I would say get the fastest combo then turn down Expo on your radio but Traxxas radios dont have expo. You say the .18TZ is 'decent' offroad just like your jato is 'decent' offroad?
The .18TZ is mainly a touring car motor thats why I said it is a decent performer off road. I run with other guys from my LHS that have .18TZ's and .21TM's in their Jatos. They also run a variety of other vehicles being that they work at my LHS. I have even gone street racing with some of them on Sunday afternoons. The .18TZ is a great motor. Chris I was not trying to offend you bro. You race most of the time on a track. So like I said your needs are different. I used to race and grew tired of it and have alot more fun running on the street and bashing. So my needs are different from yours. Like I said it is just a matter of opinion. rustler1882 did not specify if he was bashing or racing. I asume bashing because we all now the Rusty is not great on the track. And yeah my Jato is pretty decent off road even though its over powered I dont find uncontro;able. When I run it at the BMX track that is near here I dont go wide open throttle bcuz then it would be uncontrolable. I will be the first to admit that my RC10GT will out handle my Jato any day in the dirt but the Jato is pretty decent. Its all about driver skill and throttle control. You dont think zipping up and down the street at speed is fun. I do. I dont like racing anymore but you do. We just have different opinions. Like I said before the title says the best and fastest OS motor. In his post he also says "or any other motor you think is better and faster please let me know. " Well I will leave it at that.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Chris_RC

Im pretty sure he said he was going to practice on a track, thats why I assumed. Weird because his original post does not have any edit marks on it.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

hehehehahaha i love it when peeps talk about the 18 and 21 powered jato's ... i mean whats the point in scorching down the road at 60 or so and then turn around and do it again BORING ... get a good 12 enter some of the local races, we are always smokin on the 15 and 18 motors with our lil itty bitty 12's heheheheee
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

hehehehahaha i love it when peeps talk about the 18 and 21 powered jato's ... i mean whats the point in scorching down the road at 60 or so and then turn around and do it again BORING ... get a good 12 enter some of the local races, we are always smokin on the 15 and 18 motors with our lil itty bitty 12's heheheheee
Lol I agree with you 100% but I don't race on a track anymore. I did it for 7yrs and I got bored with rules and regulations. Down here in Miami a group of us street race for money and that is why I'm on a quest for speed. My RC10GT is going to be a street car also. Its hell of fun when your with a group. And for me its fun when I'm alone bcuz I'm always tying to go faster so I can start betting some real money instead of 20 dollar buts cuz I'm scared of losing. Lol.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Nitrohobo

hey guys i got a question off topic but i know the 3 smartest St people are linked to this one. i was out on the track at prarrie city and every thing was great for about 4 tanks. and after this my car will rev up and wat not but not move. so i looked it wasnt the drive shafts no pins are missing. the yokes still seem tight and even when i turn the spur gear the wheels move a little. but it will make a loud ass sound lol. so i think its something in the tranny. any way i was wondering how hard is it to work on the rustlers tranny? never been in there before need some advise.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 AM
quietnas1

I don't own a rusty but I'm pretty sure it has a ball diff. Same thing happened once with my RC10GT and I needed to replace the ball diff. It should not be hard at all single speed trannys are pretty straight forward. Also check out the blow up PDF Files of the Rustys tranny on the Traxxas web site. That will help you a lot.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Nitrohobo

ite thanks dont know how long it will be till im up and running again but dam i found a indoor off road track near me and it looks sweet. they have hella rock crawling stuff but i don't care to watch grass grow on concret. but yeah ive been trying to pratice on the track with this beast. i suck. any way am i **** out of luck of doing any were reasonable on the track? with this rustler
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris_RC

Most indoor tracks in CA won't allow nitro. Also, the rustler has a gear diff if it has the same type of transmission from the electric rustler.

Who exactly are the 3 smartest ST people?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Nitrohobo

lol you chris quietnas1 and MCSRacing you 3 help me out a crap load if you didnt know. but yeah i took it down their he said i could pratice on the track my car is too far outlawed to race . also guys took my tranny apart to day AND holy hell. the plastic gears were all fine! the metal gears were Chewed to crap lol working on cleaning out the diff right now here are some pics. also do not use hella lock tite on your drive shafts lol my pins were so hard to get out we used a blow torch to losein it lol. here are some pic's wanted to get on of my new pipe lol cars torn up right now tho.

my point was this is what an os with do to the tranny even the metal gears
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55873.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1220729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29399.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1220730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39723.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1220731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al73212.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1220732  
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
quietnas1

Sorry for the wrong info. Again I don't own a Rusty or ever worked on one. Thanks for the props though nitrohobo. Always glad to help when I can.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Nitrohobo

pretty nasty gears tho a? quietnas and you never gave me wrong info you always pointed me in the right directrion
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: Nitrohobo

lol you chris quietnas1 and MCSRacing you 3 help me out a crap load if you didnt know. but yeah i took it down their he said i could pratice on the track my car is too far outlawed to race . also guys took my tranny apart to day AND holy hell. the plastic gears were all fine! the metal gears were Chewed to crap lol working on cleaning out the diff right now here are some pics. also do not use hella lock tite on your drive shafts lol my pins were so hard to get out we used a blow torch to losein it lol. here are some pic's wanted to get on of my new pipe lol cars torn up right now tho.

my point was this is what an os with do to the tranny even the metal gears
You're right, those 3 are very good sources of infoon this forum.

I installed an OS 18CVR in my brothers nitro sport as well as my nitro stampede (same tranny as rustler) and told him to expect to have to replace the diff gears at least once a year (just a rough guess on my part based on the amount of time we run our cars).They have been lasting him about 8 months at a time since the motor swap. If you have the OS 18TZ I would expect to replace them at least 2 times a year depending on how often you drive the vehicle. Still worth it though when you're driving a stadium truck with that much power, and the diff gear set only costs about $6. .

I'm curious, was the 18TZ a direct drop-in on therustler(exhaust bolted right up, engine bolted up to mounts, clutch assembly mounted right up)??

thanks
Dave
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Nitrohobo

hey wait sitting here working on the tranny do i put gease just in the dif? or in the dif gears and the tranny its self im lost lol also how much
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 PM
quietnas1

pretty nasty gears tho a? quietnas and you never gave me wrong info you always pointed me in the right directrion
Thanks again man. YEAH THOSE GEARS ARE BAD. Just like my Jato but I killed every gear in my tranny.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Nitrohobo

the tz is almost a drop in you have to grind one motor braket so the pull start will fit. if you get one you'll see just try to put the brakets on the motor and screw them in wont work. but its hella easy to fix and dam this thing is fast.... too fast....
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 PM
dittch
Banned

hey wait sitting here working on the tranny do i put gease just in the dif? or in the dif gears and the tranny its self im lost lol also how much
just put a little dab in there dude, not too much. Think about it this way, how much lube do you put on your spur gear/clutch bell? The answer should be none, so just a litte lubrication on those gears. It isn't like a sealed tranny where you put in silicone oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.