RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Project RC10GB(Gas Buggy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project RC10GB(Gas Buggy)

I've had an idea to create a buggy that AE should've made, but didn't. I'm calling it the RC10GB, and the GB stands for Gas Buggy, like the GT in RC10GT stands for Gas Truck.

This all started because I have a TONof original RC10 parts, some brand new, and some very well used. After finally getting my RC10GT tub chassis going I started running it around my track and hadLOADS of fun with it. I was thinking afterward that it sure would be fun to have a 2WD 1/10 scale nitro buggy to run around too, but finding a QUALITY mainstream brand that makes one is impossible; they just don't seem to exist for the most part. This got me thinking about how I could build myself one out of AE parts I already have.

So here's the plan. I'm taking some of my beat up, but still perfectly fine, original RC10 Goldpan parts I have and creating a 1/10 nitro buggy from them. I'm also going to use some parts from the GT. The GT parts I will be using will be the rear bumper, tranny, rear a-arm mounts,engine mounts, rear bulkhead, and rear shock tower. I'm going to modify the Goldpan chassis to fit everything. I'm going to try and leave the chassis as close to stock as possible, but some cutting and TIG welding will be required I'm sure. I'm also going to have to make a template from the GT chassis and drill out the proper mounting holes to fit all of the GT parts onto the Goldpan chassis.

The front of the buggy is essentially completly stock. However, I have made one small modification to the front end. That modification was to the wheelbase length and steering. To those of you familiar with the vintage RC10's you'll know that their are two options for mounting the front plate to the main chassis. The stock configuration is the shortest. I moved mine out so that the wheelbase is now about 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer. I did this for a little more stability, and in order to fit the T1/T2 steering bellcrank into the RC10. The T1/T2 bellcrank has longer arms than the stock RC10 bellcrank and, because of this, I had to extend the front plate out. The main reason I'm using a T1/T2 bellcranck is, because the stock RC10 bellcrank has no servo saver built into it. I decided that I'd rather go with a similar steering setup to the GT, instead of using the VERY outdated stock RC10 bellcrank. The stock RC10 bellcrank is also more prone to breakage issues than the truck bellcranks.

It was an easy mod, but the front plate doesn't come with threads in the longer wheelbase configuration mounting holes, so I went and got my tap and die set and simply tapped some threads into the front plate. I may shorten the wheelbase back up and use a GT bellcrank if I don't like how the GB handles with the longer wheelbase, but will have to wait and see on that. As of right now the front end is complete and ready to go with one exception, the nose brace tubes. Obviously, since I lengthened the front end, the tubes are now too short if you use the factory mounting holes. I didn't feel like drilling and tapping them tonight, so I will do this tomorrow more than likely. I provided a somewhat close up picture of the front end so everyone can see exactly what I'm talking about, in case you're not familiar with the RC10's. I've also provided an overhead picture of the RC10 and RC10GT next to each other as a comparisonso unfamiliar people will understand the amount of work involved with this project.

I hope everyone enjoys watching this buildup, but please be patient. Work will be somewhat slow going as I have a fair amount of parts tobuy and possibly some serious modifications to the chassis. I assure you though, this build will be of the UTMOST QUALITY, and my goal is to make it appear as though it was perhaps a prototype AE made. I'm big into doing serious customizing on 1:1 cars, so I might as well do the same with my RC's.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26820.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1215611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95641.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1215612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83101.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1215613  
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 AM
mousecritter
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Project RC10GB(Gas Buggy)

Nice pics. Project RCs are always cool. Keep up the work and keep posting pictures.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh this is going to be sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Barber420

Thanks for the kind words guys. It'll probably be a little while before I make anymore real progress, because I have to get another RC10GT tub chassis to continue for the most part. I'm going to strip down a roller/runner I get off of ebay and make the template from a stripped chassis. I'm not going to take mine all of the way apart to do it, that's for sure. Then, after I mod the Goldpan chassis, it's off to the races installing parts like a madman. Be patient and the results will be glorious! Who knows if I don't mind the work toomuch, and people are interested, maybe I can start building these for others as well.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM
The_Collector

Shouldn't be too difficult. The old gold pan is more than enough to handle a .12 engine. From the conversions I have seen, they use the newer stealth gearbox and engine mounts from the GT, pretty straight forward.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Barber420

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing; I'm guessing you didn't read my ridiculously long first post. I'm hoping it's fairly straight forward, but if it isn't I'm not scared.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
The_Collector

Nope, I skimmed. Got lazy. Very interested though.I like the way you approach custom work.Makingthe car appear as if everything belongs the way it is,using all AE parts. There'senough hacked up and "extreme" stuff out there already.So,after seeing the car, one would wonder if a rare"RC10GB" existed, or if there was some obscure RC10 conversion kit floating around.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Barber420

I'm now one step closer to finishing this project!!! I won an auction for an old RC10GT with a good .12 O.S. on ebay. It has everything I will need to finish the project except for an MIP rear exhaust pipe. I need one of these just to make the project even simpler and not have to do as much hacking on the chassis. Ideally, I'd like the chassis to be as close to 100% as possible, and with an MIP exhaust I think I might not even have to really cut anything out and just drill out some mounting holes. If anyone has an MIP rear pipe for a GTtub chassis they want to get rid of please PM me about it!!! Here is the link to some pics of the truck I won. Should be more pics of the project coming soon now!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported
Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM
quietnas1

Nice find. Can't wait to see it finished. If by any chance you don't need the lower 2pc engine mount let me know I am willing to pay for it.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Barber420

Sorry man, I need that engine mount to go into the GB. I figured it was worth buying essentially a runner so I'd have everything for the GB and some spare parts for the GT.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
quietnas1

Oh well bummer you can't blame me for trying lol. Can't way to see this thing done though. It should be awesome.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Barber420

If all goes well, I should have all of the stuff I need to continue the build by this weekend! So... hopefully I can have it finished somtime between the end of this weekend and the end of the following week! I'm trying to get a hold of an MIPrear stinger right now, because it would make the build MUCHsimpler, easier, and cleaner than running a side pipe. Don't know if it's going to work out though. Even if I can't get a hold of an MIPpipe for a while, everything else should be pretty much finished within a week or two!!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Barber420

FINALLY, I got my RC10GT parts truck today! The guy screwed up his ebay account and it took me over 2 weeks to get it, but it's in my posession now. I'll probably start the teardown and inspection of the GT parts car tonight and depending on wether or not it's raining tomorrow I'll probably do some more work to the GB itself. If all goes well I'll be posting some more pics of it tomorrow, hopefuly at least half done or so.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 AM
quietnas1

Can't wait to start seeing some updated pics. I know its going to be nice.