Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Engine runs, but car won't move

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Rody63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine runs, but car won't move

Hi all. I have a problem I'm hoping someone here can help me with. My friend has an RC10GT2 with a Traxxas TR.15 pullstart engine on it. The problem is we can get the engine running, and when we have the wheels in the air, everything seems to work right, ie: when we hit throttle the engine revs, and the wheels spin faster. But when we put the car on the ground, the engine revs, but the truck won't move. We've tried cleaning and scuffing up the clutch bell, and cleaning and scuffing the clutch shoes but this doesn't seem to help. Do you all have any insight on what we can check next? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Engine runs, but car won't move

Is your slipper clutch tight? If so, get new clutch shoes springs and bearings.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Rody63

The slipper clutch is as tight as it will go. We tried a different set of shoes from an other Traxxas TR15 he had, which didn't help. I guess the next step is to look at the bearings, and then the diff. We'll keep you all posted with what we find.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM
The_Collector

Diff outdrives. The white plastic parts just outside of the gearbox going to the axles. They tended to strip inside and fail to drive under load. Common problem, especially in the older ones.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Agreed, check the diff outdrives.  If that doesn't help, did you install the clutch shoes correctly?  Also what kind of shape is the spur gear in?  Does it make any strange noises when it won't move?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Rody63

Thanks guys. We'll check the outdrives. I think we've narrowed it down to something specific to that particular truck. We transplanted the TR15 to an older RC10GT I gave him, and it runs almost perfectly. It really screams on the older truck, but he wants to get it going on the GT2. He said he check the diffs, and everything looked good, but I'll have him double check the outdrives.

So the clutch shoes are good, since they ran on the older truck, and the spur is new, so that's good. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
The_Collector

I just realized that this is a GT2, not a Traxxas. The outdrives on your diff. would be metal, but still worth checking to make sure they are set tight. For that truck, I would look at the diff. itself once all of the external parts have been ruled out.