Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Typical nitro questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical nitro questions

I have been in the rc world for about two months now. i have a rustler xl5 with a mamba max. i love this stuff an now i am looking at nitro rc. i dont have a clue about them. i notice theres a lot of fine tuning with them an breaking in an different types of fuels. i get how they work there combustion engines. but thats it. i have never been able to look at one up close. what i want to know how technical they can get. if i do get a nitro i want a monster truck. but first what are easy beginners but can be turned into a champ easily as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Typical nitro questions

First of all, this is a nitro stadium truck forum. If you want a nitro MT, go to the monster truck forum.

Back on topic, nitro is more complicated but there is nothing more realistic than a nitro car. Once you get a good tune on it, just put your temp gun and tuning screwdriver in your pocket and after you ran about 10 minutes check temp. 90% of the time it will be within 200-280 which are good running temperatures. You only need to adjust the needles when there is a temperature or humididy change. So once you get it tuned, 1 hour leaner or richer is all you need. You need to clean the air filter after every hour of runtime and clean the car up more often since nitro is messy at times.

Do you want to run it at your track at all? If you get a MT, forget about racing it. It will be worse on a track than your XXX-T. 1/8 buggies and truggies are the F1 cars of RC. You can get a good RTR buggy for $275 (caster RTR from holeshothobbies.com and Ofna Hyper TQ Black) and a good RTR truggy for $300 (Thudner Tiger ST-1 from amainhobbies.com).
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Lurp06x

yeah i know mt arent racers but i am just fascinated by them. sorry i thought that since this was a pure nitro thread that i could get answers but i will go to the mt guys for this one i going to keep my rustler for racing an my nitro for fun for now since i am just getting in to it.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 AM
CarGuy7a

Nitro really isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. Yes there is ALOT more wrench time on nitros than with elec but that's half the fun tinkering with it. I had always been in the electric world and decided to get a nitro since I'd never had one, but I have messed with tuning engines and all so nitro really wasn't new to me.

I went from elec straight to the biggest motor Traxxas had available the 3.3. The manuals should explain everything you need to know about nitro no matter what brand you get.