Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

trouble with hpi .18 motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
bluepopcicle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with hpi .18 motor

I have an HPi .18 ss outlaw motor. its an older motor, probably about 1.5years old, but hasn't been run hardly at all because i've never been able to get it working right. I started to tinker with it again as i was recently debating buying a new truck that was electric, but figured i should give this one another go before i completly give up on it.
my problem is that i cannot for the life of me get the thing to start consistently. today, i got it started on the first few pulls and ran the half tank of fuel i had put in out with no problems. it ran great. but then from there on out i couldn't get it to start back up. i always start at the factory settings on the HSNand have never touched the LSN so it should be in place still.
Any suggestions on what could be wrong with either the motor or maybe i have it set up wrong...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
The_Collector

Default RE: trouble with hpi .18 motor

Check the condition of the plug and glow ignitor.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
bluepopcicle

the glow ignitor is good and charged...and the glow plug works too. i just tried it some more and i can get it to fire up and run just you can't let off the gas or the motor cuts out.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:54 AM
wileecoyote
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like you need to take the carb off and clean it out. Then get it running starting from stock settings and go from there to get a good tune. Start with the idle after you get it running. Make small changes like half or eighth turns. Run it for a little bit and see how it does. Should have a decent trail of smoke when running down the road. if it takes off smoothly good. If not make small changes on lowspeed. Like eighth turns. Should shoot out quick and clean. Try the pinch test. 4-5 seconds is good. Then make sure you have a nice smoke trail. 5 seconds is good for low speed, decent smoke trail is good for high speed. Best of luck.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 PM
bluepopcicle

so i've cleaned out the carburator. i can now get the motor started all the time. now my problem is that it idles at an rpm that i would think should be the rpm of the engine at about 1/4-/1/2 throttle. the carb opening is only a little bit (  guy at the hobby store said thats where it should be so i guess its right)

also once or twice after the engine shut down there was smoke coming from either where the heatsink meets with the block or where the exhaust manifold connects. is that just build up (cause there is some) burning off or is that a sign of the engine running way to hot. i've been doing most of the work with the car on a box with the wheels off the ground so there is little airflow over the heatsink.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 PM
wileecoyote
My Feedback: (1)

More than likely its leaking at the mount where the header mounts to the motor. You might need a new gasket. That opening should be about 1-2 mm wide. (slide for carb) then it will idle from there. So, just a mm or two on the opening in the mouth at closed throttle. Yes, it also could be excess fuel burning off after the motor stops. You may want to put a fan in front of the truck as its sitting on the box while running. That way it'll be about the same as running down the road at speed. Let us know what else comes up or if you get it going well enough to run the truck all out. either way, best wishes.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM
bluepopcicle

wells tarted the engine up today, it was running good was about to start and make the truck be able to drive around and the engine abruptly stopped running. i thought it sounded bad. i took the engine apart to find that the piston shaft had been torn to shreds. at this stage in the game whats your alls opinion. can this engine be repaired? is it worth repairing? is it still worth putting money into this truck or is it time to to invest in an all new model?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

yea ya can get a piston and sleeve for it but OS keeps coming to mind, those hpi motors vibrate sooooo bad that ya can barely keep screws in the truck
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM
bluepopcicle

what about this motor
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPRL0&P=X
would that be a good motor to put in. all i do is bashing and never race. so i really just want an easy to tune powerful engine thats gonna make the truck getup and go and launch off some jumps

how much better, if any, would an os motor be, say this one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGP6&P=X
Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

ya man the os cv18 is definately a good motor with plenty of power and very easy to tune ... i have 3 of the cv18's and they hold a tune great and run good enough to twist the rear wheels off my AD2 more than once LOL