Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

having trouble breaking in new engine in my rustler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

having trouble breaking in new engine in my rustler

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 AM
93dabeast
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having trouble breaking in new engine in my rustler

i just put an associated 15x motor in my rustler and im having trouble breaking it in. the temp shoots up to over 300 degrees and it smoked bad. i didnt adjust anything on the motor and cant figure out what the hell is wrong with it. i havent gone more than half throttle and only ran about 1.5 tanks through it. any input will greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 AM
R/C Lightweight

Default RE: having trouble breaking in new engine in my rustler

The AE.15x engine does run hotter than most. 260 and up isn't uncommon for that engine. Make sure the body is off for break-in, that will help with cooling a bit. What are you using to check the temps? I found out that the Duratrax tempgun is way off when using it on the non-annodized AE engines. However, if the temp reading IS accurate, then 300 is a bit too warm , even for that engine. Just have a little patience, take your time, and you'll be happy with the engine in the end. They can't be beat for the money. Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
93dabeast

i got the motor for 30 dollars brand new. it had a limitter in the carb and i took it out. does that make a difference. the problem is its running hot and dumping a crazy amount of fuel. im running o'donnell 20% race fuel in it.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
93dabeast

as for checking the temp on the motor - i am using a craftsman temp gun.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Barber420

What method are you using for break in? The heat cycle method works the best IMO. To do this, you fire up the engine and let it warm up, once it's warm you drive it around at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle (give it a little more throttle with every tank, but start at 1/4 max on tank one). Make sure it always runs pig rich!! Once it's up to operating temps 220-260 and the tank has run out shut it down and let it cool all of the way back down. Make sure to put your piston at BDC(bottom dead center) after you shut the engine down. After about 5-6 tanks it should be pretty freed up and ready to go. I would baby it just a little bit though, until you've got 3/4 gallon through it or more. By this I mean no WOT runs down the street or anything. Try and only occasionally bump WOT.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
93dabeast

ok but how do i keep it down at 220 to 260? right now its hitting about 317 and smoking and fueld is bubbling on the carb and pouring out of the exhaust. what do i do?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Barber420

Something isn't right. Quit running it until you figure it out or you're going to cook that engine REAL quick! It sounds to me like you have an air leak and it's running over lean because of it. Do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEGetU7NFU then do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwDy...eature=related

I hope this helps and you find your problem.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
R/C Lightweight

If it's running as rich as you say at 317 degrees, you may have an air leak. Does it have an erratic idle? If so, all indications are air leak. Just seal up the carb and backplate and you should be good to go solving the air leak problem, if one exists. Hopefully it's not a main bearing leak. That's a little more costly and time consuming to deal with. AE motors (which are actually made by Thunder Tiger)are really reliable and hold their tune well once fully broken in. Good luck, and don't get discouraged before ruling out all possibilities. One last thought, could your low end needle be too lean? That can cause a lot of heat issues also.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
93dabeast

as soon as i get out of work im gonna look into it. thanks for the direction on how to go about looking for the problem
Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Barber420

No problem!