Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

duratrax overdrive st w/ velocity .17 help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

duratrax overdrive st w/ velocity .17 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 PM
whiteknightman23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratrax overdrive st w/ velocity .17 help

hi i just got my first nitro. its a duratrax overdrive st, has 4 wheel drive and 2 speed trans. first i'm haveing alot of troble tuning it, i've watchs some vids and did no good. i get it started and after a few min of running i can get it running great and it will run fine for about 10 min and loose power really bad and stall out. then it takes me about 15 mins to get it running again. so i'm not sure what to do about this. i got the truck used and the guy i got it from said he had just tuned it perfect and i should only have to tune the high speed needle cuz of where i live. any tips or anything would be helpfull. second, i'm on a really tight budget and i want to know how i could get more speed out of it. my last truck was an elec. traxxas stampede w/ the vxl3 system in it and with the 8.4 volt batt it would fly. but for my overdrive being a 2 speed it don't seem to go real fast. maybe it is the tuning not right (even when running good to me) i'm not sure, but can i change the gears in it , or a bigger engine, i was thinking about a traxxas 3.3, but i don't know if it will fit. or just something easy to tune and keep a good tune. and if i took out the front driveshaft and made rear wheel drive only would that give it more power cuz it wouldn't have to drive all 4 wheels. anything anyone knows about this truck would be helpfull, theres not ahole lot online about it or hop-ups for it. thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66326.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1260303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67109.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1260304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71740.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1260305  
Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: duratrax overdrive st w/ velocity .17 help

Do not trust what the person told you about the engine being properly tuned that you bought it off of treat anything used as the guy that sold it had no idea what he was doing with it. My 1st nitro the guy had "the engines tuned perfect and runs great" in the auction got it the thing would stop after 2 minutes. I actually ended up buying a new engine like 2 weeks later as a last resort. Honestly I almost quit the hobby due to the 1st engine I had in my truck it made me think all nitros were as crappy as it was seeing it was sold as runs great.

It kind of sounds like a pinch problem but I would recommend 1st replace the glow plug. If that doesn't work go find the manual for your car read the engine tuning section and set it back to the default settings and start from there. If it still has the issue SLAYERDUDE has some excellent advice about pinch in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9032089/tm.htm]"HELP" Thread[/link] someone started.

Forgot to add> and DAMN is that truck clean for being used
Old 08-22-2009, 04:25 PM
whiteknightman23

i already replaced the glow plug in it and i downloaded the manual for the truck and for the engine and it won't even try and start at factory setting at lest for the high speed needle, not sure what the book ment about where to start from with the low speed. i just wish there were some people around where i live that i could get togeither with and get some help from someone who's been doing this for awhile. i do have a friend who has a few nitros but i don't think he really knows alot about them, but what he has. so if anyone lives in the sinclairville, n.y. area, please give me a text at 716-489-0853. i live out in the country and have a big yard and have started to build a dirt track. need a rototiller though. could have a track building get togeither.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM
redlined_b16a

Remove the Glow Plug andturn the engine by handif the piston seems to get stuck when it reaches the top of the cylinder,its ok,If the piston doesnt get tight(its refered to as pinch) chances are your engine is worn out.It will start but once the engine gets close to normal operating tempatures the piston sleave will expand and all compression will be lost.....the engine will die and wont restart until the engine cools
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
whiteknightman23

that iswas is happening. so does that mean i have to get it repinched or buy a new piston and sleave? and to repinch it, do i need a special tool or how does that work?