Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Spur gear - Tmaxx

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Projectsix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur gear - Tmaxx

Hey, Ihave been having some problems with the spur gear on my tmaxx 2.5.
I replaced it but when I started my truck up it ran for about an hour, and then slipped. When it slipped I stopped immediattely, but the gear had already been stripped of its teeth. Im guessing that it is the alignment of the engine with the transmission, but im not sure how to align it perfectly. Is there some way to make sure that it is perfect and tight before running it?

Also, would it be a good idea to upgrade to a metal spur gear? im afraid that if I did it would damage more important and more expensive parts if it were to slip up. If anybody is familiar with my problem, help please!

Dan
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Spur gear - Tmaxx

When setting the mesh... Cut a strip of white lined paper about 3/8" x 4". Roll it in between the spur and the bell... Set it tight and roll the paper out. To check it, cut a piece the same size and roll it through. You should see every ridge of the teeth, with no tears... After that, hold the clutch bell and wiggle the spur back n forth slowly to learn how the mesh is supposed to be. Just so you wont have to use the paper all the time... Some call it the amateur method, but hey it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgUiaczoYcI

Squirell is always helpful...

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dannyboyracer

Hey, Ihave been having some problems with the spur gear on my tmaxx 2.5.
I replaced it but when I started my truck up it ran for about an hour, and then slipped. When it slipped I stopped immediattely, but the gear had already been stripped of its teeth. Im guessing that it is the alignment of the engine with the transmission, but im not sure how to align it perfectly. Is there some way to make sure that it is perfect and tight before running it?

Also, would it be a good idea to upgrade to a metal spur gear? im afraid that if I did it would damage more important and more expensive parts if it were to slip up. If anybody is familiar with my problem, help please!

Dan
About the metal spur... I was always told to use plastic for the simple fact that, if you do have something go wrong. You want the plastic $4.00 spur to be the gear you replace. It's is the easiest and cheapest... Metal spur wont take the damage too often hence something else internally getting eaten up... Just think if you had had a metal spur... You would be replacing some else that is most likely more expensive....

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Projectsix

Hey man, thanks a lot. I especially appreciated the link to the vid on youtube. That is a great vid, and will help me a lot.

Ya, about the metal gear, I agree. Im not too upset about having to replace one gear, and its only a couple of bucks.

I was wondering, is it possible to line up the gear, and mesh it nicely, but have the engine crooked? Obviously Ican look at it and I will put it as straight as possible, but is there a better way to align it? Thanks for helping.

Dan