Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Suspension Tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
rustyporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Tuning help

Hello im new to this hobby, Got a nitro rustler very fun, now that i got the engine tuning down to a novice level I took my stock rusty to a local track. Car almost impossible to turn under any power, hard to keep a straight line. Iknow i need tires, so what would be some good tips on tires and sus. tuning

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Suspension Tuning help

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...n&suchbegriff=

Read through this. Different set-ups on every track. Slipper, pre-load, oil weight, diff fluid... Tons to consider. This should help you start off.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Kacy

unless theres a new diff im not aware of the rustlers dont have diffs that can filled with fluid.And turning under full power is gonna be a chore.The front end is so light you need to find away to relocate the rx pack to the front of the truck.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM
dug44

ORIGINAL: Kacy

unless theres a new diff im not aware of the rustlers dont have diffs that can filled with fluid.And turning under full power is gonna be a chore.The front end is so light you need to find away to relocate the rx pack to the front of the truck.
http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/4409_tranny.pdf

It's the big white gear in the center of the tranny man.

Differential Components
4181 Differential gear (45-tooth)/ side cover plate & screws...................... $3.50
2382 Planet gears (4)/ planet shafts (4)/ sun gears (2)/sun gear
alignment shaft (1) all hardened steel ............................................... $6.00
1647 Silicone grease .................................................. ................................ $2.00
Driveline Components
1952X Carriers, stub axle (blue-anodized 6061-T6
aluminum)(rear)(2) .................................................. ....$. 2 4.00
1952 Carriers, stub axle (rear) (2) .................................................. ............ $3.00
4628 Differential output yokes (2)/ 3x5mm countersunk screws (2)/
3mm set (set) screws (4) .................................................. ................. $4.00
4628X Differential output yokes, hardened steel (w/ Ujoints)
(2) .................................................. .................$. 1 9.50

Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM
dug44

If you didn't mess with the tranny, there is a gear diff in there, unless you put a ball diff in it (which is the best case). But if you have the stock gear diff, you open that bad boy up and throw some 150,00 weight in there. It's not sealed but will take a good month and a half before you need to open it up and throw some more in there. (should be going through it and tearing it down for inspection anyway). If you have pre-loads on your front shocks, take em off... Experiment a little bit
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM
rustyporter

Perfect I'll try that diff lube, I think I have just as much fun tearing this apart as I do driving it, wich is good cause  I end up tearing it down often.    I have not got a ball diff. yet but keep hearing things about it is it really worth it?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
dug44

ORIGINAL: rustyporter

Perfect I'll try that diff lube, I think I have just as much fun tearing this apart asI do driving it, wich is good cause I end up tearing it down often. I have not got a ball diff. yet but keep hearing things about it is it really worth it?
You see the piece on the right? That's what you fill. 100,000-150,000 wt...

And yes, tearing it apart and working on it is a lot of fun...

Ball diffs? Take the back tire off, dogbone out, and adjust... Rather than pulling the whole tranny off and disassembling everything... No fluid, done with all ball bearings and a washer.

What tires are you running? What's the track like?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Kacy

i filled mine with 10k just to see if it would work since its nota "sealed diff"
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 PM
rustyporter

Im running pro line dirt hawgs 30 series on the rear still running the stock ribbed on the front,I can turn this car better on the pavement. The track is hard pack preety clean watered down often. I would consider it a good traction surface, every time I go WOT just pushes straight when I tap the brakes to swing the rear around it just spins out. Where is a good place to get the high weight oil for the diff.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 AM
dug44

ORIGINAL: Kacy

i filled mine with 10k just to see if it would work since its nota "sealed diff"
That should leak out in a week. 100,000 or more... No less. If you like taking it apart it will be fine.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...aners-Diff-Oil

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
rustyporter

tried the diff lube OFNA 120,000 seems a lot stiffer trying to get to the track this weekend!!!!!
What do u recomend for tires its a short course hard pack pretty good traction. Good speed they run alot of 1/8 scale buggies...