RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

nitro-rob 08-27-2008 10:47 AM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Break down and get a thermometer, they are a worthwhile investment. I feel secure knowing the temperature of my engine day in and day-out.

Still waiting for my HS 645MG, new body, roto kit and skit plate to come in. In the meantime I have been playing with a Traxxas nitro-sport (with a 2.5) I got really cheap....its half or less of the truck the FS is, but then again they aren't competitiors. It came with a hot bodies HT-2 controller, an upgrade form the factory FS unit but still plain.

Does anybody use a cool controller?

Am I too picky when I tune my truck every run and during the run? I hear a lot of people 'setting' the truck and leaving it and tinkering with it as they see fit in the future. I was always under the impression (and trained) to be conscious of the tuning constantly.

nitro rc 08-27-2008 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Break down and get a thermometer, they are a worthwhile investment. I feel secure knowing the temperature of my engine day in and day-out.

Still waiting for my HS 645MG, new body, roto kit and skit plate to come in. In the meantime I have been playing with a Traxxas nitro-sport (with a 2.5) I got really cheap....its half or less of the truck the FS is, but then again they aren't competitiors. It came with a hot bodies HT-2 controller, an upgrade form the factory FS unit but still plain.

Does anybody use a cool controller?

Am I too picky when I tune my truck every run and during the run? I hear a lot of people 'setting' the truck and leaving it and tinkering with it as they see fit in the future. I was always under the impression (and trained) to be conscious of the tuning constantly.
i agree that when reading these threads, it makes you feel like you constantly need to be messing with the settings. IMO, the more you mess with tuning, the more engine problems you will get. I leaned the HSN a little bit on my brothers firestorm the day after break in and haven't touched it since. Its only run about 5 times so far 15-20 tanks maybe. I was reading it yesterday, the HPI Firestorm manual says that they do not recommend that you make adjustments to the LSN.

about the temp gun. I want to see if like a hardware store has them for cheaper. i don't want to spend another $30 on one. My parents already think the whole hobby is a waste of money. But i try to tell them it is what i like to do and i will spend my money how i want to.:D:D

rclynx 08-27-2008 02:33 PM

about the temp gun. I want to see if like a hardware store has them for cheaper. i don't want to spend another $30 on one. My parents already think the whole hobby is a waste of money. But i try to tell them it is what i like to do and i will spend my money how i want to.
Yea its a waste of money all right, but so is booze and other kinds of drugs, not to mention movies, coffee and hair cuts. Think about it for a minute tell them, and think of what other things you could be doing if you were board :D
$30 won't even get you a good gun but you don't really need one. Read some of the old posts about how to tell if your engine is running to hot. I have temp guns but you know what I do 90% of the time? I put spit on my finger and wipe it on the head directly after a hard run and if I can slowly count to three before it dries its not to hot. At lot of years went by and nobody had temp guns and logged 20+ gallons on there motors. Do some research and you will find that gun isn't really needed but and extra gallon of fuel for $30.00 sounds good to me [:-]

nitro-rob 08-27-2008 08:24 PM

My strategy with tuning is to not push the engine too much and just keep it from getting too hot. I look at smoke and temperature and get a feel for how its hauling and make a judgement. Usually I make a quick adjustment after the truck is warmed up that is no more than 1/8 turn on the HSN and thats about it although I occcasionally verify the temperature.

I think the tinkering people do is try to get away with being as lean as possible to put the truck on the edge and that is where they get into trouble. It doesn't seem worth it to push the engine so hard for the performance increase considering the wear it has on an engine and there is still a range of acceptable and safe running conditions below this level.

I have never adjusted the LSN and havn't felt the need to with my G3, but feel its more imporant to do so with my TRX 2.5 (Nitro sport). I have to say that the TRX 2.5 is no G3 when it come to tuning and don't have a conclusion on power yet since the engines are in such different trucks.

These trucks are money sinks - like laser printers are just vehicles to sell toner cartridges, but they are fun and rewarding to own and maintain.
It sucks waiting for parts, though. I think I will get a hair cut, drink, smoke and go to the movies in the meantime.....

BlindObject 08-27-2008 09:45 PM

So guys, quick question, how do you polish your pipe and header so it's shiny and silver??? What do you use?

Also, should I break in the new crankshaft I'm getting tomorrow?

PS:OMG PAGE 110

Pauole 08-28-2008 12:24 AM

I wouldnt think you have to break in a crankshaft. And by the way has anyone else heard about the Big block conversion kit for the FS? I want one. :D

nitro-rob 08-28-2008 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

They have a big block mount....tempting.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=8919

Here is the mounting kit...

I need a profile picture....will get one when my new body comes (on the truck, of course).

nitro rc 08-28-2008 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: BlindObject

So guys, quick question, how do you polish your pipe and header so it's shiny and silver??? What do you use?

Also, should I break in the new crankshaft I'm getting tomorrow?

PS:OMG PAGE 110
good question. My tmaxx header is covered in crap and i can't get it off.

Pauole 08-28-2008 02:30 PM

Have you looked into any engines that you would possibly mount on the conversion kit? I was looking at an axial .28 spec 1s. And do you know if all .21-.28 are a direct bolt on. ( I dont want to have to start modifying or shaving stuff down)

BlindObject 08-28-2008 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: dialin

Howdy Guys,

Things to do after buying your FireStorm (In no particular order)

1. Change tyres, OEM ones are crap sorry HPI IMHO (Proline Gladiator my personal choice)

2. Add a filter with a primer (No more touching the exhaust, starting is a breeze)

3. Put a nipple into the muffler (So the hose fits neatly to help pressurise tank)

4. Get a rotostarter back plate(So much easier to start, all you need is a 12V cordless drill)

5. Buy a spare bulkhead (or modify it to make it strong like I have, see previous thread)

6. Change springs to stiffer type (Much better for handling & landing)

7. Tighten servo saver & loctite.

8. Buy a failsafe (it is good insurance)

9. My personal favourite, an aluminium cover (homemade) for the aircleaner to keep the water off the sponge when using in wet conditions. (No more stalling in the wet)

Optional: Nice wheels look good

:Spare bodies come in handy too!!!

Here are some pics of mine. 10 litres through the engine still going strong!!! 20% nitro

Cheers
Justin:D
hi, give me the link to that awesome aluminum filter cover thing.

Thanks =)

NitroNate 08-28-2008 08:28 PM

BlindObject:I used medium rough sand-paper to polish my pipe.(I didn't polish the header)The main reason I polished my pipe is because the body was touching it and wore a big silver spot on the pipe.

BlindObject 08-28-2008 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

BlindObject:I used medium rough sand-paper to polish my pipe.(I didn't polish the header)The main reason I polished my pipe is because the body was touching it and wore a big silver spot on the pipe.

Wait wait, SAND paper? To POLISH your pipe? Won't that SAND it? And leave it rough?

garzzar 08-29-2008 08:15 PM

scotch brite would be better but its still gonna leave it rough, so use buffing compound to get it really smooth and then polishing compound with a shop rag, my friend did it for his aluminum intake manifold took him abot 16 hours but it got it to a mirrior finish, plus your exhaust is smaller so you are lookin at about 3-5 hours

BlindObject 08-30-2008 08:36 AM

Hmm..I'll prob skip on that for a while. I need to first buy some hop ups like the graphite upper deck, it's such a pain in the butt to unscrew like 12 screws just to get to the steering servo and etc.

3d-flyer-93 08-30-2008 12:44 PM

hey guys, I'm having some problems with my firestorm and hopefully you will be able to help.
I have 8/10 of a gallon of 20% blue thunder threw it. and temp is 180~200
I was racing last Friday and the car was running just fine and this morning when I started it up I had to have the throttle trim set 1/3 of the way up to start it and whenever I put the trim back to neutral the car stops[:@]

thanks in advance

edit- I tried to run it again and it moves forward as if it's at 1/4 throttle and there was smoke coming from the flywheel area.

RCN2ZST 08-30-2008 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

[quote]ORIGINAL: BlindObject

Hmm..I'll prob skip on that for a while. I need to first buy some hop ups like the graphite upper deck, it's such a pain in the butt to unscrew like 12 screws just to get to the steering servo and etc.
[/quo

Its not hard to get rid of the paint in your pipe. or any other aluminum pices on the storm or other cars. i use an oven cleaner call EZ-OFF you can get get it at your local mart. You,re gonna have to soak the pipe a bit longer but it will get off. After that use red scoch pad and clean any leftovers, aply polishing compound and ur done.

racerx582000 08-31-2008 08:10 AM

hey rcn2zst what kind of tires and rims are those?

BlindObject 08-31-2008 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: 3d-flyer-93

hey guys, I'm having some problems with my firestorm and hopefully you will be able to help.
I was racing last Friday and the car was running just fine and this morning when I started it up I had to have the throttle trim set 1/3 of the way up to start it and whenever I put the trim back to neutral the car stops[:@]

thanks in advance

edit- I tried to run it again and it moves forward as if it's at 1/4 throttle and there was smoke coming from the flywheel area.

Tighten your idle speed a bit.

3d-flyer-93 08-31-2008 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: BlindObject

ORIGINAL: 3d-flyer-93

thanks in advance

Tighten your idle speed a bit.
I already tried that and it didn't work.
I tried to run it again and it moves forward as if it's at 1/4 throttle and there was smoke coming from the flywheel area

yakfish 08-31-2008 10:03 AM

you need to adjust you throttle/ brake linkage. there should be a 1mm gap in the carb at neutral. there is nothing wrong with using the throttle trim when starting up your car, most people do that anyway for easier starting. of course when you are driving you be able to turn the trim all the way back down. I would say that the smoke around the flywheel is a different problem all together. your bearing is possibly leaking and would need to be replaced, or there could just be some fuel that spilled on a hot surface which could be why your car is smoking. another thing you should check for is you exhaust manifold. make sure that all the screws are tight. if they are loose you are going to have a hard time starting your engine. and that would also explain why your car is smoking. if there is any fuel spitting out around you exhuast manifold it will smoke when it touches the hot surface. I would bet that you are haveing at least one of these problems. I hope you don't have to go out and buy a new engine. if you do take a look at the hpi engine exchange program. unless you are wanting to upgrade which isn't a bad Idea!!:D
good luck.

new22nitro 08-31-2008 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This intake is sweet check it out

yakfish 08-31-2008 02:15 PM

do you have a link to it?

nitro-rob 08-31-2008 02:31 PM

I have to have that....

nitro rc 08-31-2008 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

do you have a link to it?
its by RB Innovations. so i would go to their website

new22nitro 08-31-2008 05:56 PM

There way better looking than the others out there i like it looks like a car one u know here is the link http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNSN3&P=7