RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

nitro-rob 09-18-2009 06:43 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

1 Attachment(s)
Photos of what I've been working on. The firestorm has a wing now. I put a cheap revo one on and will upgrade it once this one gets wrecked. I didn't want to invest much since it was an experiment. The MGT as it came minus the tires which were in excellent shape. The engine has great pinch. The CEN - all the parts are clean now and ready for assembly but I am waiting for parts. You can see the centre chassis cleaned up and ready to go.

I bought another CEN off of ebay today. Thats it for the fall.

Two two CENs and the MGT will be completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled.

nitro-rob 09-20-2009 08:53 AM

Update on the arrival of my XL. The seller shipped it with fuel and filled the box with coffee. I should explain the coffee. He made a mistake with his paypal account and to make it up to me he put coffee in the box (he works in the coffee field).

mazdamike 09-21-2009 12:32 PM

has anyone every put a axial .32 into a firestorm?

firestorm490 09-23-2009 12:37 PM

some of you may remember that a few months agio i put a roto start backplate on my firestorm and it works great but when hot i can only start it with a plugged drill that turns 2800 rpm the cordless that turns 1600 rpm wont cut it only when cold (first start) and i can recall nitro-rob saying his starts fine with 1300 rpm the car runs fine no running problems at all if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated.

rob i remember you saying that your xl was on its way months agio good to hear you finally got it:D and do you think this will put the storm on the bench for a while??

wipeout2097 09-24-2009 02:08 PM

Well guys.. looks like I am a traitor and went out and bought a Savage Flux.
I didn't have time to get it out but maybe this weekend or next week it will hit the road.
My Firestorm it's up for sale now.
Oh well....I guess electricity will be my power of choice from now on.

Nitro-Dave 09-29-2009 12:56 AM

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has tryed to put a 2 speed trans on a big block firestorm?

I did find one video on youtube but i seem to be having alot more trouble getting it all to line up and fit properly unfortunately i dont have a cam so i can't post any pics but if anyone has tryed this before i would appreciate any input

wileecoyote 09-29-2009 01:41 AM

MAZDAMIKE, Im yet to see a .32 in one but, I have the .28 Axial in mine and it is a handful. Have been SHREDDING tires left and right. Roadwarrior has a bad ass "Storm with a nice motor/tranny combo that see's 70 mph regularly. WIPEOUT, so you went electric? Check out shipping from Romania to the states for the 'Storm and get back to me, please. NITRO-DAVE, I have seen someone here recently went with a two speed but dont recall motor size. I think fitting the extra gearing isnt possible with a big block simply because of the space requirements. BUT, given enough time and trying, Im sure it could be done. Probably would take a complete overhaul and rebuild of the chassis to make it all fit. Like I said, ANYTHING can be done with enough money and time. BTW, I just won another 'Storm on fleabay that needs a motor and radio. Belong to anyone here? I'm gonna make it the offroad truck only. My other one with the Axial will stay on road (ala Roadwarrior). The Savage will remain the tried and true basher/groundhog hunter.

Nitro-Dave 09-29-2009 02:14 AM

I have the .32 in my storm and its insane i have all the aluminum parts i can find on it and it still does wheelies forever its a blast to drive but it will tear up tires like mad i have MOABs on mine right now and they seem to be holding up pretty good but i haven't been drive much because im determined to get this 2 speed to work</p>

wileecoyote 09-29-2009 03:12 AM

See that MAZDAMIKE? Ask and you will receive..............NITRODAVE has a 32 in his. So, DAVE you got alot of work ahead to make it work for you. Try to get us some pics, I'd love to see them. Someone here will have ideas for you Iam sure. I gonna stick to the tried and true one speed with appropriate spur and clutch bell gearing. Less trouble for me means less wrenching on it and more time for the others in my garage. It never ends though, as soon as I think its done, something else comes up.

subwayaz 09-29-2009 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: hazegry1

from what I have read you can swap it out without removing the engine but, you will also need to buy the backplate when you buy your roto start.
If I'm not mistaken the backplate comes with each one I've seen for sale. So not to worry. Just do it ;)

nitro-rob 09-29-2009 07:05 PM

Dave - the two speed with big block engine was shown within the past fifteen pages or so on the thread. It was surprisingly easier than I thought. Everything lined up well.
Welcome to the forum.

nitro-rob 09-29-2009 11:03 PM

Dave - an alternative to the two speed is to put 1 mesh gearing on the storm which will give you a much taller gearing range to go with for the big block and you get to keep the slipper clutch. I bash my storm on the dirt and use 35/18 gearing with good success with my OS .21 VG.

I am going to try to mount stabilizer bars on my storm over the winter. Not much driving going on these days with the weather but I almost have one of the CEN's rebuilt and its looking good - at least looking new and stock anyways.

Its good to see new people coming to the thread. Post some pics of your rides..

Nitro-Dave 09-30-2009 03:51 AM

Thanks Rob 
I thing im going to put the 2 speed on the shelf and get the storm running again with a taller single gear.  Is 35 the smallest gear that will fit?  What truck does the 35t spur you use come from?

nitro-rob 09-30-2009 09:59 AM

I use a TNX steel spur but revo ones will work as well. The revo spurs gives a good selection to choose from and play with the gearing. The slipper plates need to be made smaller. I then cut down savage slipper pads to get them to fit. Whatever spur gear you use the faces will need to be made flat - revo has slipper pad stuff on it and the tnx gear had small protrusions near the teeth that needed to be ground out.
I did it around may or june and a picture of the layout is posted here. The gearing setup was a big part of the discussion then. I think the two speed setup was posted around the end of july.

35/18 is the limit for small gearing, it puts the clutch bell about 2mm from the the transmission casing. This is a good practical limit - you could try 30/25 or something like that but you are getting too tall and with gears that don't really exist.

wipeout2097 09-30-2009 01:31 PM

WILEECOYOTE I'll try and see what kind of overseas shipping can be used and get back to you, if you have any suggestions please tell me.

wileecoyote 10-05-2009 01:04 AM

WIPEOUT, for me it'd be the local post office or Fed-ex. Usually cheaper through the post though. I've been putting the Sav back together since I bought XL diffs and dog bones. Got a new two speed tranny and the XL extended axles to help widen the truck. Everything has been a swap but the upper aluminum pin keeper for the upper a arms had to fitted into the XL diff block. They have a new setup in them and Im not sure I like it. Im gonna have to trim the plastic out of the way to fit the aluminum bar in place. Dont think I should run without it and leave the plastic to do the job by itself. The diff cups and axle cups as well as the d-bones are much larger and stronger. I imagine they'd have to be with a 5.9 motor in that truck spinning such huge tires. I think the stock ones from the Sav 25 are big enough for me. Got the 'Storm chassis I bid off e-bay and have it mostly together. I need a new clutch for my 3.0 motor. Anybody got a spare? I have the 20 tooth cb but need the nut and bearings as well as the spacers. Going to run the 3.0 in it as an offroad truck and my other with the Axial .28 on road. Put on new shocks and have it raised up for more ground clearance, running the Geolander tires so it should do quite well. The road truck is slammed with lowered suspension and street-hawg tires. Its very very fast and Im so glad I did the big block swap. I'd tell anyone to go for it. Okay, back to wrenching. Ya'll be good, and if you cant be good, FAKE IT!!!

nitro-rob 10-05-2009 02:56 PM

I am looking for a used G3 that runs well if anyone has one for sale - or at least a compatible engine with a firestrom or MT2G3.

wileecoyote 10-05-2009 09:53 PM

NITROROB, what happened? What do you need it for, if I might ask? Got Sav back together and is wider, faster and better running yet. JOY JOY JOY Was a long time coming but i think I got it right this time. Lookout stray small furry animals!!! HAHA

nitro-rob 10-05-2009 10:56 PM

I am selling my MT2 and it needs an engine. I decided to cut down on some of my RC's. I want to get rid of my RS4 as well. I have two CEN 7.7's, Savage X, the firestorm, a highly aftermarket savage (can't say if its an X or XL now), monster GT and a nitro evader (street beater). Considering I am likely to burn only four gallons this season thats a lot of trucks. The only 1/10 scale I want to keep is the storm, I am finding monster trucks suit most of my driving needs best. Likely on of the CEN's is going as well.

wileecoyote 10-05-2009 11:09 PM

Not trying to be nibby but, didnt you do a bigblock con? Why not put the 'Storm motor in it? Or, what about selling the chassis outright? If so, what do you think you'd like to get for it? Think about it and get back to me. I might be interested. Keep in mind that I'm laid off and cant do too much but I completely understand whatever you think its worth. I know you keep all your vehicles in great shape. (thats obvious) I have a friend that may take it also. He IS working and got bit by the bug after running my 'Storm. He's been begging me to sell it to him and I ask why not buy a new one. He says he knows how I take care of my stuff and it has alot of extras already done. Any way, think about it and maybe shoot me some pics. Either PM or just here to get more coverage on the sale. Okay, best wishes whichever way you go. Thanks much.................Mattu

nitro-rob 10-05-2009 11:54 PM

The storm motor is in my evader and the storm still has the BB in it. I will sell the MT2 on kijijji locally and rollers don't sell well there, complete running trucks are required. I have a brand new g3 I am selling on ebay and dont' want to drop it in the used truck because I won't get the value out of it.

wileecoyote 10-09-2009 07:54 PM

Just got done cleaning up the new to me Axial 28 and sealed it. Put it in the Savage and it fit nicely. Have yet to run truck need to let sealant dry. Im hoping it runs better than the stock 25. Anybody here know much about the axials? looking for tuning tips and the like. How hot can I let it go? Im gonna go on their website and try to get a manual for it. My new 28 (greenhead) believe it or not didnt come with a manual. Couldnt believe it myself. I played around with it and got it running pretty good. The used 28 (grayhead) has great compression and seems like a good buy. Was fairly clean inside and just needed carb degummed as well as pullstart and one way bearing. Id be interested in any info/ideas ya'll have. Thanks much and a happy Columbus Day to all.

nitro-rob 10-09-2009 09:36 PM

I don't know much about the axial engines other than they are a relative of the HPI K4.6 and the parts are pretty much interchangeable. The RR green head is the higher spec than the grey head but thats about all I know. Here is the link to the manual, its just like the HPI engine, factory settings are flush needles http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...AX001-I001.pdf

I bought a new CEN 7.7 engine today. I may get a chance to take one of the CEN trucks out yet this season which wasn't planned. The next project is a monster GT and after that I have a special savage project to work on then I stop until next season. Photos of the CEN will come this week when the engine arrives.

wileecoyote 10-09-2009 10:38 PM

I appreciate you getting the pdf of that manual. I had gone there too and read up but didnt print it or download. I just printed up the one you got me. Thanks much. Its nice to know I was correct with the needles being flush set. I started from ther and got a pretty good run out of the new one. I cycled it as per a thread on here and broke it in nicely. I think its great of ya'll to give out such good info. I could not have done it without your help. Sounds like you have all winter tied up with plenty of projects. I have alot of things to keep me busy also. I bought three new bodies to paint up and the Sav and Storm's will keep me wrenching Iam sure. Im gonna give it a go I think this weekend with the Sav and the 28. I didnt know there were two types of the 28. So the green head is a hipo motor? Might wind up putting that one in the Sav and the gray in the Storm. Right now its hard to keep control of the Storm with the green motor. You'll be cornering nicely and have to watch the throttle as it spins out quite easily with the power it makes. I love to power slide it around too. I need to make some kind of traction bars or sway bars to be able to drift. Its gonna be interesting no doubt. Any ideas? Shoot them my way. Again, thanks very much for the assist.

wileecoyote 10-09-2009 10:41 PM

Ohh yeah, I wanted to ask you about the CEN. How do you like it and hows it compare to the Savage? Ive looked at them and thought they were a well built machine. The shocks and suspension definately worked smoother than the Sav. Is it the monster motor thingy? 7.7 ? What does that equate to? .36 or higher? I dont know the math to get the correct size.