RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

wileecoyote 10-16-2009 11:55 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Okay gonna try now with Storm and Sav pix. I love the CEN, that orange is way cool. Big motor and shocks with resevoirs stock? I may just have to buy one of those for my growing harem of trucks. Well cant get them to upload, get an error message every time. I did put them in my gallery if ya'll would like to check out my Street Storm, Dirt Storm and the ever bashable Savage.

nitro-rob 10-17-2009 12:19 AM

Nice looking fleet. The dirt storm looks sturdy. I thought it was an MT2 at first.
The CEN is bone stock and the reservoirs actually work unlike most shocks that have them. The Monster GT has fake reservoirs that don't hold any oil, its just solid plastic! I love the CEN colours. I will take photos with the body off and maybe with the rollcage on. Its a sweet looking truck under the body. 17 lbs, though. There seem to be a lot of them on ebay these days. I have parts coming for the second CEN and it should be done in a week or so.
I also love HPI orange and have a savage body painted with it.

wileecoyote 10-17-2009 01:52 AM

Wow! I never thought that it weighed in at 17 pounds. Guess you could say 17 pounds of FURY. LOL Thanks for the compliments. It does look like an MT2 with the YOKO Geo's all the way around. Those tires are the best Ive had on an offroad vehicle yet. Really grab well and do a great job in any type of surface. I'll be needing another pair soon as I ran it on asphalt for a time or two to get the motor tuned in. Im yet to run the onroad with the .28. Its broken in but just havent gotten the roll cage quite right and dont want to suffer the consequences. Have too much money in it to just thrash away. Besides all the work and time I put in it, that would be a shame to just tear it all up ya know? I did look on fleabay and saw quite a few CEN's on there but most were new or close to new with high price tags. Heck the lowest bid I saw was $225.00. I know they are worth the money but, being out of work sucks. Used to be a drop in the bucket when I was working. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and keep up the great work you've been doing.

morrowe 10-17-2009 10:12 AM

hello guys. I have bought a firestorm nitro a couple of weeks ago and my steering servo is kind of lazy. I'm thinking about getting this servo http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HIGH-TORQUE-ST...item33526dbccb but i dont know if it will fit in the firestorm. Could someone pls suggest me a better servo than the factory one?

Regards.

nitro-rob 10-17-2009 10:33 AM

The problem is likely not the servo. It isn't a great servo but it should work fine. Likely your servo saver nut has loosened completely. Its a very common thing on the firestorm (read back, this issue comes up every five pages or so). You need to tighten it and apply loctite. If you don't lock it it will just loosen again with use. Also make sure the D/R knob on your controller is as far clockwise as possible.

nitro-rob 10-17-2009 10:36 AM

I can't wait to have twin CEN's sitting on my bench. I almost completed a monster GT that I will likely sell to a buddy that is hot for it. The final truck is the grand finale for the year - an FLM chassis, mid tank savage. I will work on that slowly over the coming months and save up for an LRP .28 for it. It will be the most tweaked truck I have (well, maybe my firestorm is).

I am considering getting a second storm that is mostly stock and selling my evader - the evader isn't nearly the same truck. It would be close if it didn't have a ball differential and the weakest driveshafts I've ever seen. The local shop said the firestorm price just dropped.

wileecoyote 10-17-2009 10:54 AM

Ya, I saw a Storm for sale at 235. Not bad when I paid 250 for mine. I got a total of 100 in parts in the dirt Storm after the initial investment of 60 bucks. So 160 total, not bad for such a capable truck. LRP motor? I'll have to check it out. Where are they made? Id like to see the mid-tank Sav. Ive been looking for those side plates to do that very thing to mine. Not cheap when new, so been looking for a used set. I doubt I ever will but Im gonna try.

nitro-rob 10-17-2009 12:03 PM

I paid 200 shipped for my FLM truck and it had plates, arms, mid tank and a set of losi big bore shocks on it. It was lightly used and almost new. If I wanted to I would just need to add an engine an electronics. I don't know where the LRP is made but its the same company as SH so I assume Japan. Picco, LRP, Sirio and OS are the main hot engines people put in their savages for bashing. Here is some useful info: the F4.6 and K4.6 engines are the same as the ofna force and axial 28 engines with different porting specs and are all made by Novarossi. These lower end engines are separated from their high end line.

I am trying to find another engine for either my MT2 or evader and will only keep one of the two. For now the G3 is in the evader. I am not too big on the MT2, its a really dated design. I also like to have a two wheel drive for my street beater where I use road rage tires.

Mouldiwarp 10-19-2009 03:20 AM

Well,  It only been a short time I know but I fanally cracked and sold my firestorm on and bought a Hong Nor X1CR to replace it.  I guess I have spent more in spares and parts than the Storm originally cost me and I have run less than 1L of fuel through it.  I guess a lot of this was because I cant drive very well (admittedly), but it does seem that the front end of this truck is really easy to damage and it takes an age to get the spares into the local HS.

After a few runs with the HN, 1.5L of fuel burned the car shows no sign of damage.  I dont know if it is a consequence of 1/8th scale and chunkier parts or just general design but for the same money (as new) it seems to be put together a lot better with a much higher base specification. 

I really liked the Storm, it was quick and fun to drive but it was time to go.... (anyone seen the film the money pit..??).  Maybe I will get another one day when my driving is up to par and maybe HPI have done some re-thinking about that front end and the materials used to put it together.

Anyway, this thread has been incredibly useful to me, the people on it are great and without its help I would likely have given up on the hobby / sport by now.

Thanks people. :)

jbates14760 10-19-2009 11:57 PM

ok guys... I know it's the wrong time of year for this but here goes. I am getting the rest of my stuff[&o] and would love to see it go as a package. Firestorm w/ spare parts, mgt 3.0 with a ton of parts (just needs a new engine) and my Futaba 3PM. it's gotta go and it's gotta go soon. Any one looking for some new stuff????

cbr6fs 10-20-2009 02:25 AM

Few bits and bobs came yesterday.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...9102009029.jpg

I bought the Edit ally front suspension arm mount, and ally front arm brace a while ago, but the quality was absolutely terrible.
Holes in the wrong place, holes the wrong size, only way i could get the front suspension arm mount to fit was by trimming the front bulkhead, which in turn weakened it [:@]

So rather than saving a few quid i still ended up buying the HPI ones anyways :eek:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...9102009035.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...9102009031.jpg

Also bit the bullet and bought the HPI hop up shocks.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...9102009026.jpg

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the front shocks.
Instead of the preload collar winding up and down the shock body on it's threads, it's way to big and just slides up and down as though there's no threads there.

Threads look to be ok.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...s/IMG_2955.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...s/IMG_2956.jpg

So i don't really know if the shock body threads are to small of the threads on the preload collar are to big, but if i try and dial in some more preload as soon as i let the spring go it pushed the collar back up to the top of the shock body [&o]

Contacted HPI UK and sent them a few pics.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...s/IMG_2957.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...s/IMG_2958.jpg

So we'll see what the outcome is.

On the good side, the car is a lot more controllable and smoother over the bumps than with the stock shocks.
This does come as a bit of a surprise as i'd thought i'd dialled in the stock shocks pretty good.
Have tried a fair few spring rates and shock oil viscosity combo's over the years, but never had the car as controllable over bumps as with these shocks.

Weird [sm=confused.gif]

Cheers
Mark

JUBE 10-20-2009 10:58 AM

I have the same problem with the shocks of aluminium not which is the motive

firestorm490 10-20-2009 03:55 PM

i remember a while agio that the discussion was on the diff and i just blew my left bevile (not right) but was it stradard for them to have no oil in them ive never had it apart (the diff itself) and all that was in there was some blue greaseand a destroyed gear i realy dont know much about the subject so could someone lead me to good oil for nothing but bashing im thinking of a more locked diff but i have no clue??
any help will be greatly appreciated:D

nitro-rob 10-20-2009 08:42 PM

The best thing to do for bashing is to fill it with a good grease to control the slip a bit and not worry with the silicone oil. I wouldn't recommend locking it. It will handle like crap and more strain will be put on the output shafts and dogbones. If your differential went it was likely lubrication, poor stock shimming or wear. I noticed my stock diff got a little dry after the first season.

firestorm490 10-21-2009 06:11 AM

ok then thankyou

nitro-rob 10-21-2009 05:23 PM

New logo today.

wileecoyote 10-23-2009 11:47 AM

490 You may want to shim the bevel gears while you have it apart and stuff it full of grease. I just did the #2 truck of mine with a washer on both sides of the bev gears and filled with Kyosho 30k grease. It made a noticeable difference in sound as well as smoothness. CBR6fs That rubber oring you have on the top portion of the threads is supposed to go inside the aluminum spring retainer. Mine did not thread on the shock either and after looking at it I put the o-ring inside the retainer it acts like the threads should holding the spring in place and allowing you to set the spring tension as you would need. In the instructions they have it this way so I assume they knew it wouldnt work as intended so they have you use the oring in this fashion to hold the cup in place. NITROROB I sent HPI an email to support section in reference them supporting us on the Universe. Dont know if it'll even get a response but I made my point by saying something along the lines of them possibly losing customers if they dont support the hobby on websites such as ours. Its a write off for them so why not do it? I did notice on the HPI site that they're now on Twitter. WHO CARES ABOUT TWITTER?!! This is where people from AROUND THE GLOBE get a chance to talk and support each other with THEIR PRODUCTS. I find it dis heartening to find them drop support of the Uni. You actually think a cat from Greece or Canada is gonna be on Twitter? If so, maybe Im behind the times typing away here on my trusty home pc. I call BULL**** on them.

wileecoyote 10-23-2009 11:51 AM

Oh yeah, you think this cat JUBE is gonna twitter from Argentinia? Uhhhh, NOT!! I AM PEEVED! (if you couldnt tell) And PLEASE someone correct me if Im wrong, Id love to hear how your twittering me while your running your 'Storm at full throttle.

nitro-rob 10-23-2009 01:57 PM

Just to inform the audience (if there is one) and explain a bit of what wilee is talking about, avatar pictures containing RC logos must be from sponsors of RCU.

I think twitter is used around the world by many people in general (take for example the communications in the recent Iranian election) but think its a stupid medium to work with. I set up an account but don't bother with it. Facebook seems to be a better medium.

cbr6fs 10-23-2009 03:03 PM

To be honest if posters can't be bothered pressing enter once in a while and starting a new paragraph, then i honestly can't be bothered reading them.

Nothing worse than a bunch of grouped up sentences on a forum.

So i really have no idea why the poster is going on about twitter, surely this is Firestorm discussion thread no?

JUBE 10-23-2009 03:43 PM

The truth I do not understand what wanted to say coyote on my for that my English is not completely good

JUBE 10-23-2009 03:57 PM

Really I am of Argentine i enter in this forum as which in united states it has rapidly the updates for the firestorm and this one good to have ideas of other countries I believe that coyote speaks of more

wileecoyote 10-23-2009 06:56 PM

Hmmm, maybe my sarcasm has been lost on a few folks here.............................. sigh. Cant be bothered to read if I dont hit enter? Too much info to comprehend? I address each of you by name first then continue with a comment. I suppose I will end up with alot more posts if I make each post to each individual. Sorry to have confused ya'll with my rantings.

nitro-rob 10-23-2009 07:18 PM

.......I still think twitter sucks.......

wileecoyote 10-23-2009 07:36 PM

NITRO ROB, Ya me too. Hope my email to HPI gets seen by someone of stature there at the corp.