Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

1/12 scale LED 3mm, 5mm, or 10mm

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
LoveDeezNutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/12 scale LED 3mm, 5mm, or 10mm

Again no clue on RC cars. I have seen kits about this, but the details dont really provide any information other than how many bulbs it has. The kit I saw (http://www.abchobbyusa.com/ledlightunitspecii.aspx) says:

The headlights, break lightsand turn signals will automatically turn on/off with the operation of the transmitter.
Idling : 4 way hazard lights willblink
Throttle On: Head lights will be passing
Throttle Off: Brake lights will blink

Again no clue on how an eletric RC car operates, but they IDLE? it just seems like maybe its describing a gas car.

What I would like is:

1. Really bright headlights (would
2. Not so bright brake lights (possibly a kit that allows them to get brighter when you stop?)
3. One compatible with an electric rc car.

Would 10mm be to big on a 1/12 scale? bigger is brighter?

I am going to make a mold for the housing (I believe they are called "lighting buckets") and have plastic ones made out of acrylic, then paint chrome or find some mirrored material for it, but will an led burn the body/catch fire to it? I ask this because on my real car the break light melted the plastic.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/12 scale LED 3mm, 5mm, or 10mm

First of all, what body are you going to install the led's in?

I have never had the use of buying a kit, i have done this myself by using single leds and resistors and solder it together myself. The brakelights are operated by using a switch (this is for my large scale gas car) that engages when brakes are applied directly on the servo arm, the same can be done on an electric car by using a third micro servo by using a Y-harness on the esc. I use some weak leds for the rear lights, and some brighter for the brakelights.

The led's will never get so hot that they will melt anything unless you use some giga mega high watt ones, the standard ones are cool enough to touch when they are lit.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
LoveDeezNutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

First of all, what body are you going to install the led's in?

I have never had the use of buying a kit, i have done this myself by using single leds and resistors and solder it together myself. The brakelights are operated by using a switch (this is for my large scale gas car) that engages when brakes are applied directly on the servo arm, the same can be done on an electric car by using a third micro servo by using a Y-harness on the esc. I use some weak leds for the rear lights, and some brighter for the brakelights.

The led's will never get so hot that they will melt anything unless you use some giga mega high watt ones, the standard ones are cool enough to touch when they are lit.
This is the body(I am still not sure what the correct terms are):
http://www.abchobbyusa.com/hondacr-x...enbodyset.aspx

This is the bottom part of the body that I guess will fit that I will be buying:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXPV5&P=FR

Does that mean I cant have brakelights because mine will be eletric (not sure what a third micro servo thing is)?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The body and the chassi will work fine together, so no worries! But to me it looks like the body comes with light buckets, or am i wrong? If it does, i guess they are maybe predrilled for a certain size of leds to fit, but don't quote me on this.

You can have brakelights, but without using one of these light controller-boxes of different makes on the market you have to do as i described above by using an extra servo connected to the same signal wire as the signal wire to the esc. Then the servo will move in one or another direction when you are braking pressing this switch to engage the brakelights. The only problem is that the brakelights will stay on as you are reversing the car aswell, this will maybe look a bit stupid.