Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

how to do a fading look?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 01:55 PM
bkohs
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to do a fading look?

i see all these people doing fading paint jobs with flames and even over the entire body... how do you guys do it? i've tried, but it came out like crap, how do you get the colors to blend so well? thanx for any help.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:28 PM
xtremelexan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to do a fading look?

Well, the real secret, especially for newbies on fades is the colors you choose. Picking something like yellow to orange or lime to yellow etc will make blending easier because they are close to one another on the color wheel. Something like red to green is going to be a challenge for even a seasoned pro.

Start off with the lighter color. If you are doing a front to back fade for example, I start off from the front and go light all the way up to the middle of the car. I paint from side to side or opposite of the fade direction. From there I start back and the front and work back again, only this time not going to the middle or rather, not so far as the first coat. I repeat this method of side to side motion working back until the front of the car is solid.

From there you should be able to paint the rest of the car with the other color with no issues. I usually paint the entire inside the other color. Using close colors, the 2nd color should just enhance the first coat as a backing.