Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Chrome paint...anyone have experience with it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Chrome paint...anyone have experience with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 10:21 PM
CowboyBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome paint...anyone have experience with it?

Hey...the paint scheme that I've decided on for my next project will have candy purple with red, orange, yellow, and white faded-in flames. In front of the white (which will be the first color) I was thinking about using chrome so that it looks like the flames are so hot that they've burned the paint off down to the bare metal.

Does anyone have any experience with using chrome paint? How hard is it to use? I've seen a lot of paint jobs using chrome to accent bumpers, etc...but how hard is it to get it to look "right"? Also, how durable is it? Since the chrome would be at the very front of the body, I don't want to use it if it will crack or flake easily upon impact (which I'm bound to do). And finally, has anyone ever used chrome paint and faded it in with a different color like I'm describing? I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good body due to a screw-up that could have been avoided, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
CowboyBob
Old 08-15-2004, 11:27 AM
fedo23

Default RE: Chrome paint...anyone have experience with it?

I have used chrome paint made by spaztixx-it comes in a spray can(its a little pricey)and they also recommend using spaztixx surface pre prep on all unpainted plastic...the chrome seems somewhat durable and looks nice, but sometimes when you fade colors into the chrome it kinda takes on a silver look...I usually practice my fades etc. on a 2-liter plastic bottle(cut the bottle ends off and paint the insides). This gives you a good idea of what it will look like on your body. good luck.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:44 AM
CowboyBob

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of practicing on a plastic bottle...I'll give it a try.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:14 PM
humanmachinehead

instead of a fade to make it look like the next color was burning off, u could try and paint it on reall jagged,then touch it up with some darker colot and black and make it looked "chared" and peelinging off in chunks...kinda like when u burn paper, that's about the best way i can think to desribe it

IDK, just a thoguht
Old 08-15-2004, 10:52 PM
CowboyBob

Great idea...I'll get me few pop bottles and give it a try to see how it turns out.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Stalefish

ORIGINAL: fedo23

I have used chrome paint made by spaztixx-it comes in a spray can(its a little pricey)and they also recommend using spaztixx surface pre prep on all unpainted plastic...the chrome seems somewhat durable and looks nice, but sometimes when you fade colors into the chrome it kinda takes on a silver look...I usually practice my fades etc. on a 2-liter plastic bottle(cut the bottle ends off and paint the insides). This gives you a good idea of what it will look like on your body. good luck.
VERY good idea. Thanks too fedo.