Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Parma paint masks

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:00 PM
greaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parma paint masks

Is there a good ay to keep paint masks from lifting from the shell when going over the the detailed portions of the inside of the shell to prevent bleed through?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 PM
69 GTO

Default RE: Parma paint masks

I'm not quite following ya greaser...what exactly do you mean? are you saying when your making sure the edges are sealed tight that the other portions of the mask are trying to raise up?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:25 AM
greaser

When placing the masks over the details of the body, i.e. door creases, fender creases, window edges......thing like that. When I try to place a section of mask over this type of feature on the car while attempting to keep the mask in a straight line, the mask becomes "tight" or "stretched" and begins to seperate from the body leaving an air gap that allows paint onto the area that was masked off.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
69 GTO

Ah ok now I understand. The best way to lay a mask over a detailed area like that is to lay the one end of the mask down and then when you are placing the rest of the mask over the door crease for instance, sort of "roll" the mask down over that area with your finger. You want to kind'a lay the mask back over your finger or even hold the free end of the mask straight up in the air with your free hand and then use your other hands index finger to press down the mask a little at a time. Dont try to just lay the entire mask over the door crease or detailed area all at once because it will be to tight just like you said.

thats the way i do it and it works good for me but if you still have a problem then a little heat from a hair dryer and a little finger pressure will also help to smooth it out.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:22 AM
greaser

Ahha....the old hairdryer and finger roll technique. I knew I was missing something. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Jimmmaaa

also, i was having trouble with this yesterday on my nitro st 15, but all you have to do where those small creaces are is run a credit card or something stiff along the tape when you place it