Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Paint Mask?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Mask?

What type of paint mask works the best and is the eeeziest to use???? I have trouble with 3M masking tape to get smooth results, the cutting is just not my thing I dont get smooth enogh lines kinda scruffy around curves? I heard about liquid mask. What is that? Is it a good method?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2004, 01:59 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Paint Mask?

liquid mask is good. remember to use about four to six coats. I actually use glad press and seal wrap() sometimes.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:20 PM

parma paint mask are very good and they have a variety of designs for about $5 a mask set. Liquid mask works great its a brush on gooy substance that will dry to make a peelable mask that you can trim and paint then peel off to paint underneath it. I usually use about 3-4 coats of it and let it dry completely between coats.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Wait so I want a double drip paint job one on top of the other. How would I do the body? What steps should I take?? I also want the windows clear wit outlining.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2004, 04:53 PM

Theres a few methods to do a double drip scheme but i'll explain one of the easiest ways to do it IMO. Cover the entire inside of the body with liqid mask using a paint brush and purring 3-4 coats on it drying in between each coat.

then on the outside of the body take a sharpie marker and outline the first paint drips. Then take a brand new Xacto blade and carefully follow the outline you made with the marker only from the inside of the body, peel that liqid mask off the body leaving the mask over the drip area and paint your main color then back that color with white or silver.

Then on the outside of the body again trace where you want to secont drips to be. then peel off the mask that is the drips that will be touching the main color and paint that color whatever you want and back it as well. After that dries then peel off the last mask that is on the body and paint that the other color you want the drips to be and you'll be left with a main color that has one color drips over another color drips. then back the body again.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:54 PM

Forgot....if you want the windowes outlined(i think your talking about the trim around the windows?) then use a small brush and paint those areas first.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:33 PM

Wait but now Im stuck with marker on the outside what gets it off good??? Oh and also what is a good brand of liquid mask?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:38 PM

The liquid mask I use is made by a company called Aspect Aviation but there are a number of other ones out there that make it and I have yet to be unhappy with any of the brands.

far as the marks on the outside of the body you wont have to worry about that because you should have a overspray film on the outside of the body that you peel off after your done painting, almost all the bodies you buy now a'days come with the protective film over them.
If buy some chance your body dosent have this film (which i would highly doubt) you can take some clear food wrap and cover the ouside of the body and warm it with a hair dryer to create a film of your own.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (2)

or....if you don't have overspray film and already marked the body, use denatured alcohol with a cotton swab to wipe off the marks. It should immediately smear once you wipe it. Then do it a couple more times with a cotton ball until all the marks come off.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:56 AM

So if I wanted to try doing it with 3M masking tape how would I do so, and what are some good tips to keep it looking smooth?

Thanks alot
Old 12-27-2004, 10:01 AM

Should I use the the blue 3M tape safe release painters masking tape??
Old 12-27-2004, 11:54 AM

It would really be a pain to do it with masking tape. Just get yourself some liqiud mask its only $4.50 for a small jar.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:47 PM

Thanks!