Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Wanna start Painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 PM
}{unter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna start Painting

I love RC cars and ive been in this hobby for some time now and im just not happy with my bodies..... (Stock bodies) I wanna start painting my bodies...

How do you guys do such a good job on these bodies ....

Tell me what i need to start off with please i dont want things to fancy just to get me a pretty good painted body.... how do you guys mix up the colors like that and do the graphics..... please help me on this

}{unter
Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 AM
69 GTO

Default RE: Wanna start Painting

Kinda a broad question to try to answer

First thing i would ask you is are you wanting to spend money on a airbrush or do you just want to use cans and some paint mask sets?

I'll tryin help you out but I need to know which way you are planning on.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:03 AM
SilentWolv

Get you an airbrush and compressor, some FasKolor Paints, and check out my Bob Dively's Liquid Mask Turorial on www.RCNitroTalk.com [link=http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25875]Liquid Mask Tutorial[/link]
Old 01-12-2005, 04:04 PM
}{unter

i can spend a little bit i seen a little compressor was like 100 and something i think i would just like the ones with the bottle of air to save on some money i just want to paint something to race with.......

The Liquid masking idea i dont really get that do you just put layers of the masking on there and and cut what u want to show and paint it ?? whats up with the layers ..... are there any other ways to do this

}{unter

Just a reagular airbrush that has the can air....
Old 01-12-2005, 04:14 PM
69 GTO

if your wanting to get a airbrush then let me advise you not to go the canned air route, you will end up spending MORE money in the long run as the air runs out. you can go to stores such as home depot and pick up a small compressor for as little as $70 so go that route and you will much happier.

Liqiud mask is a liquid that you brush on and then it dries in a covering over the inside of the body then you trim out the area that you want a certin color and spray that area. You do a couple layers of liquid mask to make sure its covered.

The simpliest way to do a nice looking body is with a simple fade paint job and some lighting bolts or something of that sorts. I use a Opaque marker for the lighting bolts then a little purple then black and blue background. Heres a link that i believe shellshocked has posted before that is very helpfull.
http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...ntedmyst.shtml
Old 01-12-2005, 05:09 PM
ThaMatrixHazU

what kind of paint do you use in the airbrush for the lexan bodies? I'm in a situation where I can't find a particular color I need and have to make one and use an airbrush. The other colors I have bought the lexan paint in cans for and am going to use liquid mask.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 01-12-2005, 05:40 PM
69 GTO

Any lexan approved paint in a jar can be used in a airbrush, you just need to thin it a bit to the right thickness. Matching a color is simple with and airbrush just get the closest color you can find and add ethier white to lighten it a shade or black to darken it a shade. I use eye droppers to add the colors a drop at a time till i get the shade i'm looking for.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:47 PM
SilentWolv

You can use enamels or acrylics Jeff, but I recommend the water-based paints like FasKolor. Its not toxic, and I spray it inside the house. Once in a while I'll spray Spaz-stiks chromes, but I have to hold my breath [:-]

acrylics will spray at 30 - 40 lbs
enamels will spray at 15 - 20 lbs

Make sure your compressor has a tank and will maintain at least 40 lbs. I use a little Sear 1 gal tank. Works perfect for airbrushing and blowing off your car. A little noisy though.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM
69 GTO

ORIGINAL: SilentWolv

Once in a while I'll spray Spaz-stiks chromes, but I have to hold my breath [:-]
What the matter SilentWolv ya dont like that silver haze that hangs in the air when sprayin the chrome paints? i hear ya, i usually leave the room for 15 min's after sprayin chrome.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:16 PM
shell shocked

I always use pactra laquer based paints and as a result always wear a mask.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 PM
69 GTO

Thats what i use 90% of the time shell shocked but just never really used a mask for some reason (i.e stubborn/pig headed) but with as much painting as i've been doing lately i should wear one. What kind do you use? just a cloth mask or a regular mask with filter caps on it?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
shell shocked

i use this one, its made by 3M and model no is 4251 maintanace free respirator
I find it very comfortable and it cuts out all the nasty smells 100%
now the technical bit.....

Designed for effective protection against gas / vapour and combination particulate hazards found in industry. Ideal for use when working with paints, solvents, resins, varnishes and adhesives. Low profile design for better peripheral vision. CE Marked. Complies with EN 405 FFA1 P1.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:48 PM
69 GTO

Thanks ss. I always wondered what i should use because i have one simuliar to that one that i use for doing body work on my full size cars but i dont think its approved for paints i believe its just for sanding dust particals. It has detachable filters on it though so i'll have to see if they make some filters for paint fumes that i can swap on it for Rc body painting.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
}{unter

ok i think i have the liquid masking idea.... one more question on it like when u cut a section out to paint and when its done do you put another coat on it so when u paint the other bit it doesnt go threw or will it not like bleed threw the color...... will it matter if u put another color on top ???

and another thing i went and looked at walmart today and they have this nice little testors airbrush with a little compressor with it..... it lookes perfect for this......

and to thin the paint out use a few drops of the paint thinner???

}{unter

thx a lot guys im really getting the idea and im excited about painting
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
SilentWolv

Thin the laquers with thinner. You can thin FasKolor with water.

When doing liquid mask layers, try to do the darker colors first, then is won't matter if you get other colors on it. If you must start with a lighter color, like I did on the 24 in the tutorial, back it with white, then the other colors won't show through.

I like that mask SS, thanks.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 PM
}{unter

ok what type of paint should i use then????

}{unter

mask SS the name of mask u use?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 PM
69 GTO

Silent pretty much covered your question, thats how i do as well just back it with white and your good to go. Couple other things I want to bring up to you though since your just getting started.

First when your trimming out the liquid mask use a brand new xacto blade and not much pressure when you are citting the mask, no need to dig into the body the mask will slice with barely any force on the blade.

Also check the testors kit and see if its a single action or dual action brush. If your just after a decent paint job without alot of small detail then the single action will do the job, but if you want alot of small detail and better control then go with a dual action airbrush.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
}{unter

http://testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2517

its a single, its cheaper at walmart ill go check lowes tomorrow after school...... what type of paint to use??

}{unter
Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 PM
SilentWolv

You will use both, but probably mostly FasKolor acrylic.
Make sure the compressor will do at least a constant 40 psi
Check out your local Hobby Shop, they've usually have some good airbrushes.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:17 PM
}{unter

dont have a hobby shop when i go to the beach (like every month to go fishing) i pick up my fuel there. for parts i just order....

}{unter
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 PM
icenutz

When thinning out a 2 oz. bottle of Faskolor paint, would you use thinner or water, and also how much per bottle?????
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 AM
SilentWolv

Thin FasKolor with water. Use only about a teaspoon, or as needed. Most FasKolor paints are ready to spray when you buy them, but I've noticed that some spray different. You can buy the airbrush-attachment lids, and spray right from the bottle.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 AM
B.T.D.T.

The FasKolor can be spray right out of the bottle without thinning. If the paint is old stock you will need to thin out. I brought my from Tower & also the cap attachement to attach to the airbrush. Tower paint stock is good to go. No thinning required. You can go crazy choosing all that paint. Lots of color. The Fasflip Changes colors on different angle. Make sure your read articles on how to paint on the links from above. Lots of helpful advise out there.

Faskolor Paint
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=RHG&V=PAR
Airbrush Adapter
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZR30&P=0

Practice on the inside of half cut soda bottles 2 or 3 liters size. It makes two practice bodys. A hair dryer can force dry the paint to speed up time between coats. Make sure your hair dryer is lint free, otherwise it will be stuck to your paint.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:07 AM
SilentWolv

Hey BTDT or anyone, Have any experience with FasGlow? Does it glow in the dark all by itself, or do you "charge" it under a lamp? Sometimes our races are finishing up when its starting to get dark, might be a cool lid to run at that time.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
B.T.D.T.

I have that paint and did not use it yet. I didn't remember but I think I had to put the whole bottle under the light to make it glow to test it.

I'll check tonight at home and repost it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.