Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Backing with chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backing with chrome?

I've read that backing with chrome will give a very deep, metallic finish. Anyone tried it yet? If so, what kind of chrome paint did you use? Alclad seems to peel rather easily to be used as a backing color. I want a deep burgundy/maroon metallic, like the color Dodge calls Inferno Red. Suggestions?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:08 PM
69 GTO

Default RE: Backing with chrome?

It really dosent change the color by backing with chrome (at least in my experiances) plus chrome is a tad expensive to use for backing. I'd stick with what works IMO
Old 01-14-2005, 03:31 PM
jojowasher

it would only make a difference if the first color is transparent, I have backed a transparent red with gold flake and it was a great looking body.

Jojo
Old 01-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

jojo, that's exactly what I'm going for. So I guess what I really need to do is lay on the red so that it's translucent.

maxx, when I said "deep", I wasn't talking about the color. I was talking about the depth of the finish. I want the chrome to reflect through the red. I'll get the red by mixing red and black. Then I'll manage (somehow!) to put that on so that it is translucent. Then back it with chrome, and then back the chrome with black. ooooook, I have a plan now.. =)
Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 PM
69 GTO

ok i got ya

I havent tried spraying normal colors so they are translucent but i would guess you might want to thin it down a bit more than normal then spray it lightly with the airbrush farther away from the body than normal.

post a pic when you get it done, would love to see how it comes out.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
jojowasher

the one I used was pactra transparent red, it was in a can, but they have it in bottles too:

[link=http://www.testors.com/catalog_brand.asp?brandNbr=5&ictNbr=48]Pactra Website[/link]

Jojo