Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Custom Underglow Lighting Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Dare82
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Underglow Lighting Kit

Ok...so I have this stock Honda Accord body from a predator touring car. I already made the lighting kit, but there is one problem. When I put the lights on, the light shines through the body. I need a way to block it. Any suggestions? Thanks! I'll post my pics when I get this problem fixed.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:31 PM
BodyTuner

Default RE: Custom Underglow Lighting Kit

I need pics now to see what the real problem is.I think I can help you coz I will mo that kit to
Old 01-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Dare82

sorry...i just backed the car with two coats of silver. Now it barely shows through, but still shows through...I might add one more layer of silver and see how it goes. After that, I will put pictures. By the way, which way are you planning to use to make the kit? I used battery powered glowsticks and changed them to fit on the car.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:48 PM
BodyTuner

I will go with LEDs.Not sure if I will make tubes and put 2 LEDs on each tube or go with 28 LEDs(8+8 on the sides and 6 front,6 back).I just want the underglow,not LEDs or neons to be seen from outside.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Dare82

The coat of paint is almost done...I'm going to put pictures later on tonight. My camera is bad quality so I'll have to use my videocamera as the camera. Anyways, 28 LEDS?!?! That is ALOT! My car only has 8 and its shining pretty bright! But yea...you should make tubes or you'll end up having something like this courtesy of goofystreasures at ebay. They will just shine down but with more leds.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:25 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

silver is fine.. but i would use black to back it with. or simply put a nice line of black electrical tape were the lights are and take a hair dryer to make it really flexible and put it in place.. otherwise.. just back it in black now.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:34 PM
BodyTuner

28 is just going under there should be 40-50 LEDs on the body.Yeah it sounds to much but when I count it all that is correct number.I am planing to first put 3 in each headlight(2 lights 1 strobo light) , 3 in each taillight(2 lights,1 strobo light). and 2 fog lights in front and underglow(i will put LEDs until it lights like I want it or I will make tubes.That is for start.Then i will go with 3 more in the back for breake light.Then 6 turning lights(front,side,back).And then 2 reverse lights in the back.That is 25 LEDs+underglow=up to 50+ LEDs but I dont think I will put that much for the underglow).These are not all the same leds.I will use white in front(5mm headlights and fog lights, and 3mm strobo light-strobo will maybe be blue),and red in the back,and blue underglow.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Dare82

wow...you really think alot before you do this huh? And entity, my stock body is white and red...so I don't think its a good idea to back it with black or it might turn light gray. I'm already starting to glue to velcro right now, I'm gonna take pictures and night time to make sure the lights show well.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Dare82

UPDATE!!!
I just finished the body underglow kit. I'm installing blue lights on my ceiling rite now to create a special effect later on when I take the pictures. Once it gets dark (2-3 hours), I'm gonna start taking pictures!
Old 01-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Dare82

Ok! The pictures are here! Woo hoo! Sorry, the lighting was bad, so you can only see either the car or the light. I'll try to find better lighting to take the pictures later on.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:27 PM
camra88

what do you guys mean when you talk about using tubes? what are they/how do they work?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Dare82

Pretend you had a glowstick and cut off the two ends after the glowstick run's out of light. There's your tube, just stick in led's and any kinds of lights you want. I had electronic glowsticks so the I didn't have to cut a glowstick open.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 AM
BodyTuner

Nice
Dare what did you use?Can you take some pics from inside and stuff so I can see how you made all that.And some pics of those electronic glowsticks.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Dare82

I'll take the pictures later. I just got busted for spilling a whole can of paint in my backyard so I have tons to clean up.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Dare82

ok...heres the pictures of the inside

Old 01-17-2005, 03:59 AM
BodyTuner

Tnx
Old 02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Dare82

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried my approach before? I may start another project using blue led's. I want to try using a clear drinking straw and stick two led's one on each end. Anyone have better ideas? (with the exception of buying a kit)
Old 02-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Mercruisin

Hey, here is what i did for my underglo. It's not done yet, but its gettin there. This is a picture of a very very prototype wiring job. Yes, thats a protoboard laying on top with all the wires hangin out of it. there's 40 LED's just for glow. 10 in each stick. the sticks are made of 3/8 lexan or makrolon. i pick up scrap peices at work for free. I drilled some holes in the top, and mounted the LEDs facing downwards. the cut sides of the lexan are facing downwards to act as a difuser for the light beams. the LEDs are 5mm 5000mcd, so yeah, theyre really bright. i'm only running them at about half the current theyre rated for, and its already stupid bright. they'll light up a whole room. in case youre wondering how i mounted them, and if you havent guessed already, i have a totally custom frame. i cut slots for the lexan peices to fit in and screwed the ends down. but really, the same idea of using velcro and sticking it to the inside of the body would work totally fine. i would say the only downside to having lots of LEDs in your car is that you have to have a battery to run them all. you could run off of your receiver's battery pack, but you might not want to drain that any faster than i already does. i have some 7.2 volt 1200mah lithium-ion batteries that i picked up from princess auto for like $9. they work amazing, and they'll last a while too.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32791.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	234491  
Old 02-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Dare82

WOW! that is really creative. Too bad I don't have access to all those materials or I can try out your idea.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:28 AM
BodyTuner

Looks very good but its not very cheap.I am still saving money to buy 6 white leds for headlights and foglights.One led costs 4$ here!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Mercruisin

hey, you can get LEDs a LOT cheaper and better than those crappy ones from radio shack. they shaft you on the price like crazy nuts. check it out on ebay. thats where i get all my LEDs. they may cost a little more, but you get many many more for the same amount of money. and any that are extra, you can pawn off on your friends and maybe even come out having yours for free! i get them straight from the factory in hong kong. they air mail them right to your door. look up seller "cwithk". its from chi-wing industries. they come in packs of 25, 50, 100, 250, and on and on. i think you can get them for as low as $10 for 25.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:28 PM
BodyTuner

And how much for the shipping?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Dare82

Most of them are free for United States, but I'm not sure about your country. I'm not sure if they will ship it to countrys other than United States.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Mercruisin

This guy ships anywhere in the world for free. the only place you MIGHT get charged more is for getting it through customs (depends on the country and the laws of that country). but i havent had any troubles with that. he labels whats in the package, and there's really no reason for them to open it up or anything. if youre looking for headlights, you can get ones from this guy that are 15000 mcd. theyre stupidly bright. four will be more than enough just for seeing where youre driving in the dark, instead of just for looks.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:10 PM
BodyTuner

I need 6 5mm and 4 3mm.All white.5mm are for headlights and fog lights and 3mm for strobo lights.How much will that cost.If shipping is free everywere than I am ordering!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.