Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Airbrushing paintball guns

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
IHsharpshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrushing paintball guns

Hey, i used to be really into RC car painting but now i paint bodies for smart parts ions which are paintball guns. anyway, ive been using krylon fusion on them for a while, which bonds to the polymer body on it. just wonderin if you guys knew if there was a paint out there that i could airbrush that would still bond to the plastic. the reason im asking this in an rc forum is because i know the bodies are made of plastic so just wonderin if the rc paint would work on other plastics. thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 05:01 PM
allen0622

Default RE: Airbrushing paintball guns

the bodies are Lexan and painted from the inside and has to be able to flex without cracking, I know it scrapes off fairly easily and doesn't really bond to the lexan which is why you seal it with backer to help protect it from fuel and some scratching. Unless it's a good dig like from a shock tower or something it'll scrape right off. Here's a pic of my gun btw. Just thought I'd toss it in. 2002 Cold Fusion Cocker and my freak system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72538.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	300343  
Old 07-22-2005, 11:54 PM
TikiKustoms

i use automotive urethanes on my bodies, particularly house of kolor. it seems to bond really well and might be your best bet for external use. i have used it on abs bodies which are painted on the outside and it stuck really well. coast airbrush sells a kit of small amounts of different house of kolor paints, which are great for small projects like these. hope that helps and good luck!
drew
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 PM
TikiKustoms

oh and your best bet to not have it scrape off is just make sure to scuff and clean the surface really well before painting. and make sure to give the paint plenty of time to dry and probably use a clear coat for protection.
drew
Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 PM
SirAIGman
My Feedback: (2)

i have used PPG automotive paint on lexan and it did not seem to stick..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22596.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	310134  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM
big.mike

If you are using House of Kolors, it is a good idea to use the HoK AP01 Adheasion Promotor followed by the HoK SG100 Intercoat Clear prior to spraying the colors. I have painted several lexan cars with this and it will not come off. I have beat the crap out of my Savage and it didn't even peal where I ripped the lexan, good stuff. I get all of my stuff from Coast Airbrush in Anaheim...If they ship it, they give a discount to offset the shipping cost

The other paint I use the most is Auto Air Paint...They have great colors, are water based and they stick very well without too much work. They are basically like Parma Faskoat but without all of the extra flex agents that make very fine taping a problem with Parma (has a tendancy to peal the paint with the tape). Coast Airbrush, Dick Blick and I think Dixie Art Supplies carries this stuff, I think Coast has better pricing for online orders though.

Bigmike
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 PM
IHsharpshooter

yea the bodies are made of polymer. theyre for the smart parts ion if anyone cares to look around. im gona try the faskolor on one though. ill let you know how it turns out. oh and does anyone know where i can find tape as good as the parma stuff but thinner liek 1/16 and 1/8?