Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Never painted need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 PM
sho_shane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never painted need help

Hi guys. I need a new body for my touring car and I wanted to paint it my self. BUt I have no clue where to start. SO can someone please yell me what kinda paint to use and how do I do it?
1.Do I paint under the body or on top?
2.Do I use can spray paint or something eles?

Just please let me know all the aspeks of this paint thing as you can see im clueless.
Thanks for any and all help.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: Never painted need help

No problem - everyone started somewhere. To help you out ...

You paint these bodies on the inside, so that they appear nice and shiny on the outside and resist scratching and damage. You have to use special paint, however, so becareful what you use. If you don't have an airbrush, than the Pactra Racing Finish spray cans are about the only thing out there, and can be found at any hobby shop. Any other paint at the hobby shop can also be used if it says - FOR LEXAN USE.

When painting, make sure you mask everything off first and if using more than one color, paint the darker colors first, otherwise they will bleed through the lighter colors. Spray in very very light coats to start with. The first 3 coats should be just a dusting. You can then put on a slightly heavier coat to finish the body.

Check out the bodies in my gallery to get some ideas - I painted them all. You can also feel free to ask any additional questions right here.

There is a search function at the upper right of the screen - you can use that to find other threads on this subject to read about.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Mad Wax

Default RE: Never painted need help

Tips from a first time painter (search for under my username for pictures) I did a excellent job all thing considered, if you take time prepping dead easy. Far easier than plastic styrene kits. Good thing about inside painting- any little mistakes don't show up (or brush strokes if you're using poly pot paint)

Simplest method- just do a single colour for entire car. Primary colours are easier (not metallic or neon)
Mask inside the windows, making sure the tape around the edge of the window frame is totally flat (no crinkles) Score lightly with a sharp knife and pull the excess off.
Clean - I used meths, then straight washing up liquid with a new sponge. Rinse thoroughly.
Use the large RC box as a spray booth. Spray in a well ventilated, dry, dust free (as possible) and still room.
Spray very light coats. Don't use the entire can up (it'll splutter at the end) Once it starts to lose pressure chuck (say 5% left) I did the first two coats over 2 days, leaving overnight to dry. Coats after that 3-4 hours drying time.
Very important- buy a solvent filtering mask- the stuff stinks, and very solventy. I used a 3M mask and couldn't smell any fumes whilst spraying. Remove the mask - phrroww! stinky! I would wear goggles as well (very fine mist)