Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Whats an easier way to cut and trim bodies?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Whats an easier way to cut and trim bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Jammin Jake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats an easier way to cut and trim bodies?

Allright weve painted my NMT body and we are going nuts trying to cut and trim this body. Is there some alternative in cutting and trimming bodies? Like heating the body or what tool? Help!
Old 12-23-2005, 03:43 PM
paintballeskimo32k2

Default RE: Whats an easier way to cut and trim bodies?

cutting bodies for me has never been an easy task.. all i kno is that 2 days ago i did my like 6th body and i used a pair of curved bandage type scissors. it worked grat for the wheel wheels. also use straight scissors for the sides. i never use a hobby knife on a body becuase it slips and jumps all around leaving you a crappy cut body.also ive read (on your next body) to cut it first and then paint it. it isnt easy to drill post holes when u can not see where the posts are
Old 12-23-2005, 05:10 PM
marzac2

Get good tools!

Having the right pair of scissors for the job is essential. Some of the hobby scissors on the market are just fine. Also, if your body still has the film on the outside, plot a few trim lines to follow. Another tip is to use a dremel tool with the sanding drum attachment. You can clean up uneven scissor marks or make perfectly rounded wheel wells (after you pre-cut them first with scissors) and smooth other concave or convex edges.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
michelob78

I use curved lexan scissors, straight scissors, hobby knife, dremel, soda can, reamer. Not all the time but I have used all of them. A "good" quality pair of curved lexan scissors will take you a long way I can do 70% with just them. For cutting out say a window use the reamer to make 4 small holes in each corner then use a hobby knife to cut an "x" then follow the body lines with the knife, just score it you don't have to cut all the way, then brake off the 4 triangles. A couple wipes with sandpaper and you will have a nice cut job. I always trim before I paint, except for the post holes, I mark them on the outside of the body and ream them later.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:00 PM
RcRacer37E

I figured its plastic, cant be to tuff to cut....lmao was I wrong. I broke out my dremil and the little sanding wheel, turn it to about the 6 or 7 speed setting and take your time. Use scissors to cut the bigger hunks out.
It makes a mess, plastic flies every were, use eye protection, get a piece in your eye it hurts like ----. Thats how I do mine.