Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Carbon Fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:17 PM
flash07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber?

Has anybody tried to make a carbon fiber body? I think it would make your car run better since the engine wouldn't be so hot.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:39 AM
marzac2

Default RE: Carbon Fiber?

How in the heck!!! is carbon fiber going to keep the engine cooler?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 AM
flash07

On real cars carbon fiber is used to make the car lighter. It also keeps the car cooler because its not metal and metal conducts heat more than carbon fiber. So when its hot outside your engine tends to get hotter because its normally always going to be hot with the sun adding on more heat. If you have a carbon fiber body that covers the "engine head" your engine just wouldn't be as hot as it normally would. Well I guess it would be a better idea to make the engine head carbon fiber than the body. I might try that one day just to see what it would do it was just something that pop into my head.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:51 AM
michelob78

It's not as flexable, I think it would break first time you wrecked. Plus it would be much heavier than say an .030 body.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 AM
claccytim

ORIGINAL: flash07

On real cars carbon fiber is used to make the car lighter. It also keeps the car cooler because its not metal and metal conducts heat more than carbon fiber. So when its hot outside your engine tends to get hotter because its normally always going to be hot with the sun adding on more heat. If you have a carbon fiber body that covers the "engine head" your engine just wouldn't be as hot as it normally would. Well I guess it would be a better idea to make the engine head carbon fiber than the body. I might try that one day just to see what it would do it was just something that pop into my head.

I think you will find that the metal from the body will also help to take heat away from the engine, so if anything a carbon fiber body will reduce the heat transfer thus making the engine hotter.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:43 PM
marzac2

ORIGINAL: flash07
Well I guess it would be a better idea to make the engine head carbon fiber than the body. I might try that one day just to see what it would do it was just something that pop into my head.
A carbon fiber engine head would be a complete waste of time. Carbon fiber has no heat removing properties. If it did, you would see computer companies using "high end" carbon fiber heat sinks on thier chip sets to remove unwanted heat in order to achieve a faster chip preformance. But we don't see this because it is the wrong material for the job. Instead we see aluminum, which has great heat sinking properties. Also, the first time you crashed your RC with the carbon head, it would likely crack and break. This loss of material from your brittle engine head would lead to even less cooling ability (if there was any to start with). They are made from aluminum because the material can bend if in a wreck (plus the cooling).
Old 01-06-2006, 08:45 AM
charlie_b

Here is a Tutorial i wrote on CARBON FIBRE. Enjoy![link=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10]Shedded Carbon Fibre[/link]
Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
CadillacDTS2001

oh and if it was carbon fiber it would not dispurs heat with metal it is like a heat sink and disperse heat