Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Airbrushing without a Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Butts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrushing without a Compressor

For those that are airbrushing without a compressor, how long are your cans of air lasting?

I had one and it barely lasted one coat. Rather than spending another $10 on another can, I filled up my portable air tank and used that. That lasted through about two coats, but I did not have a regulator on it. I was thinking that if I installed a regulator, I could probably get closer to four coats of spray from it before it dies.

What are some of the tricks out there to accomplishing this? I just don't have the money for a compressor right now.

Thanks.
Matt
Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Outhouse Manager

Default RE: Airbrushing without a Compressor

G'day Mate,

Just saw your post and thought I'd respond.....

Get your spare tire out of your car and use that! (and no, I'm not kidding).

"Badger" brand used to make an adaptor for this method, its all my mates and I used as young fellers back in the late 1970's!

Back then hobby compressors were ultra-rare, only used by the well off (and serious) hobbyist.

Just pump up your tire to its safe maximum and run it down to around 20psi (you'll know when its low, the paint will start to sputter), then pump it back u0p and away you go again......

Best Wishes,

Rob.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:05 AM
69 GTO

Default RE: Airbrushing without a Compressor

Jeeeeez[&:] No offense to you outhouse manager.....but I would STRONGLY advise against anyone useing a tire as a source for air to use as a compressor. Mainly because tires gather moisture and other crud inside them when they are filled with air and if you hook a modern airbrush that has very fine needles in it to something like a tire your gonna plug your airbrush up and render it a mess. If you want to do a airbrushed paint job them you need to invest in a few proper item of equipment such as a compressor, regulator and water/particle trap. If you can't aford those items right now then wait till you can to start your airbrushing. I see so many guys buying a airbrush and then asking "what can I use for a source of air other than a regulated compressor"......thats like buying a nitro motor and then asking "what can I use as a source of fuel other than nitro". Do yourself a favor and just wait till you can aford the proper equipment.