Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Paint under the mask

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Myself
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint under the mask

Hi everybody,

my 2 first boddies painted, I've used paper masking tape, that was not to bad but it dosen't do a straight line, a little of paint come under the tape !

Now I try vynil black tape (eletric tape) what a mess ....................... all the tapes shrink, the paint come under everywere so my body is scrap [:@][:@]

So please, tell me for my next body what could be the best, I know I can use liquid mask but if I wanna use the standard masking tape, wich one can I use ???

Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 PM
gm72

Default RE: Paint under the mask

If you want to use tape, give up. You may not be able to acheive totally clean lines with tape. Use LMF, particularly Bob Dively brand.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also you can use automotive pinstripe tape then you use the paper masking tape over the pinstripe use a 1/8 or larger tape so when you put the masking tape down its on the pinstripe. and pinstripe will leave a nice clean edge
Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Myself
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, but why is this happen.... the window mask included with my body had shrink too !

It's a weird reaction, is that a paint application problem, temperature ......
Old 04-06-2006, 05:00 PM
cant drive

if you are using a heat gun or an oven to heat dry or "bake" the paint the it is possible for the high temps to shrink your vinyl or plastic tapes and masks. I recommend less heat and maybe try even lighter coats paint and longer dry times between coats of paint.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:52 PM
michelob78

I used duck brand blue painters masking tape before with decent results, the trick is to get a dual blade knife and cut the center out, the edges are full of defects from getting manufactured to shipping and thrown around the workbench. LMF works pretty good but can be messy at times. Mistakes are simple to fix.... example with parma paint you can clean up a paint bleed with some good alcohol and a q-tip or toothpic. Take a credit card and push the edges down also helps, watch from the outside of the body and you will see it lay better, also spray first coat nice and thin to seal the edges of the mask, then spray several more thin coats to achieve the look you want, thick coats escpecially the first one will ruin a mask job everytime.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your lhs or look online for pactra masking tape. This stuff is real serious. When you press it in you can really see it bonding. It works 20 times better than regular store bought tape. They also have it in different thicknesses from 1/16 to 1" . Trust me if you like masking w/ tape you will like this stuff.