Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

CARBON FIBRE!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:12 PM
TT-01Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARBON FIBRE!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know how to do a carbon fibre bonnet, i saw one on drccentral with some kind of cloth, but i didnt quite understand it, can someone tell me plzzzz????????, and dont tell me to go to drccentral and look at one lol, would be very much apriceated, many of my friends wanna do it as well but cant get it????
Old 06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Rx79394

Default RE: CARBON FIBRE!!!!!!!!!

get a netting that resembles carbon fiber lines then lay on top of hood mask area around hood and then paint hood black and then way for it to dry and then just back it up with the color you want the lines to be, silver = CF.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 PM
evomac

Someone asked this not too long ago, they asked for a checkerboard pattern but essentially it is the same process. Only difference is you won't be using white as the second color, something closer to a grey or silver. Here is the reply from what I wrote the other day. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
-Evo-

This is the easiest way that I have found to do a checkerboard pattern (I found this from http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...ntedmyst.shtml)

Pretty much it is very similar to painting carbon fiber, just using different colors and choosing one with possibly a larger pattern.

First - go to your local household store, such as Walmart and pick up some kitchen drawer liner. This is typically purchased in rolls. The material is that of almost rubber in nature. Pick one out to match the size of the "checkers you want"

Second - Once you have your body prepped and ready to paint cut out a piece of the liner to the size that you want on your car. This includes if you want it in a design such as a swirled checkered effect.

Third - Secure the design to the body, use a good paint masking tape for this. Make sure that when you tape it to the body you don't just tape the corners. Be sure to tape off a entire edge because remember what you don't tape will get paint through causing your design to look "off". Also fully mask around the design if you dont want black to be your main body color.

Forth - Ok now you are ready to paint the design, spray your black with nice light coats through the meshing. Once you are happy with how the black looks set it aside and let it dry with the mesh and masking on it. Let it sit there for over a hour at least.

Fifth - CAREFULLY remove the mesh from the body and now spray the area in the white paint. Again with light coats. Then set aside to dry.

There you go a nice easy checkerboard pattern. The only difficult part of this is finding the the mesh pattern that you like best

Hope that helped.

Regards,

-Evo-
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 AM
R1DE

I'd probably grab some carbon fiber style vinyl that people use for decals on real cars and cut it in the shape of the hood, but that's just me
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was the one asking about the check patterns a friend of mine sent me to the possible way to do it if you want a fine mesh what you do is take your mesh mask streatch it over the top of your car body ( keep the overspray film on ) then coat the mesh with very thin runny white glue let dry ( will take several coats of glue )then you can pop the mesh off and then check for any filled areas of the mesh pop them out and clean them to match the shape once completed you can pop it inside the car body and you should have a tight fiting mash of checks and voilia ( i will be trying this out wheni get a new body for one of my trucks when it gets destroyed and i have to replace it