Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Need Some Pointers..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:07 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need Some Pointers..

I want to paint an LST racer body for my new LST2. I found a pic that looks like what I want:

Instead of white though, I want silver, and with a darker blue.. How can I do that wavy line though? I have some really thin Tamiya tape for straight lines, but how to get a broad wavy one like that?

Also, another question I have is this: OK, so you should wash the body with warm soapy water before applying the window stickers, right? But then, it's inevitable that you get your fingers all over the inside in the process of applying the stickers. So, how do you clean or wash the bod again after the stickers are on?

I suppose these are really LD questions - but if anybody has any simple pointers to make things easier I'd appreciate it.. To be honest, I don't really have the patience for and therefore don't really like painting bods....

Thanks..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32429.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	541300  
Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 AM
xacdesigns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Some Pointers..

for the wavy line you can use your fine line tape as your wavy line guide. Then lay down strips of masking tape to cover one side of the body and cut the excess off at the fine line tape. The fine line tape will give you a reference where to cut the masking tape at. Can you picture what I'm saying? LOL

Always wash the body with warm soapy water! I use just a cheap mild dishwashing detergent. You could also get away with using SpazStix Pre-Prep spray as well. With the window masks, just wash your hands really good, dry them off and don't touch anything but the window masks and the body and you'll be fine.

Good luck and post pics!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 AM
HerrSavage

Thanks.. I've got some Spaz Stix flame masks, but that's really only gonna be my second choice.. Black, with silver flames.. I'd prefer the red white blue tri-color look, but don't have a whole lot of faith I could pull it off well... Cutting that little tape to make smooth wavy lines seems like it would be a major pain..
Old 10-15-2006, 10:14 AM
wlfgnggtr

What xacdesigns is saying is lay out the wavy line with the fine line. Then use regular masking tape to cover the one side of the body, then cut off the excess masking tape where it overlaps the fine line tape. It's actaully pretty simple, just use an exacto knife or razor blade, and trim the tape, just don't use a lot of pressure when cutting the masking tape, or it will end up cutting the fine line, and possibly into the body...
Old 10-15-2006, 10:25 AM
HerrSavage

Sorry, don't quite get it.. It seems to me that getting that wavy line would be pretty difficult - if it were jagged maybe(maybe that would be cool anyway..) OK, but a smooth flowing line - much wider than the tape - seems difficult.. Much easier woould be to just put some wider masking tape on, draw the wavy line, then cut it out with an exacto knife.. Course, that would require NOT cutting into the body, like you said...

Hmm.., actually, just doing a jagge, irregular triangle kind of line might be cool too.. But then maybe not.. I like the bod in that pic I posted though..
Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
xacdesigns

yeah, that's what I meant. It's hard to type out what I'm thinking sometimes