Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Jordandarkmagic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs

Hey I was just about to start painting my BMW when I realised that the kit came with some LED lights. And I have a feeling that I'm not supposed to install them first before painting, am I right? and also does that mean I have to cut out the places where the head lights and tail lights go? Cuz cutting the wheel wells already turned to be a challenge.. (This is my first ride ever).
Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM
ISIRC10

Default RE: LEDs

You should always trust those quiet nagging thoughts in the back of your head. paint the body first, and remeber to LEAVE THE HEAD/TAIL LIGHT AREAS CLEAR! That way, you won't have to cut out any more lexan. The downside of this is that you must make a hoousing for the LEDS and glue it to the body. If you subscribe to RC CAR ACTION, just check out their August 07 issue for help, if not then here are some bits of the article:

Lastly, don't get discouraged! I messed my first body up beyond recognition but it still serves as a great bashing shell. GOOD LUCK![sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46215.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	733067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59789.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	733068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38535.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	733069  
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

good pointers. i always used the light decals that come with the body to clear them out. then just take it off when your doing the window tint (if applicable) and smoke them if desired. then its on with the foil tape. think i might try carbon fiber decals next time and maybe use neon.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Jordandarkmagic

Actually I had a first go at my Ferrari FXX and used the sticker decals for the lights. Most of the masking turned out successfully except for a small leak in the front windshield the size of a fingernail clipping. So I'm actually quite confident with my BMW 320 si now.