Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Saving $ in this hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 10:07 PM
rpnick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving $ in this hobby?

Anyone have any tips to save a few $ while enjoying this rather expensive hobby? I for one, can use all the help I can get!

My first tip is the Krylon fusion paint. (see thread "new paint")

Let's get this going. I'm sure there are lots of tips out there...
Old 05-19-2003, 03:02 AM
velusip

There is not much to save as far as painting and detailing other than finding cheaper paint and details :/

A few tips:

1) No crashing ;þ

2) When using Nitro, always cap and seal your fuel immediately after refueling. The stuff absorbs moisture out of the air making it slower burning and much harder on your engine. Make it last.

3) Use the cheapest CA. There is this stuff called "Really Cheap Super Glue". It is a CA that is really cheap! I have always used it and it works great. *shrug*

Anyone have other ideas? Know of good cheaper paint? Tools even?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:43 AM
jswinkos

if you really want to save money then you have to spend money up front. Never buy cheap tools, learned that from experience. Spend the 40 bucks for a good set of titanium nitride allen wrenches and you will never break one or strip a screw. Buy a decent temp guage and your engine will love you for it. Buy a decent radio that will never need upgrading with decent servos that will work without breaking. It really all comes down to "you get what you pay for". Spending the money in the beginning means all you will spend later is for fuel and misc. stuff.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:14 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by jswinkos
if you really want to save money then you have to spend money up front. Never buy cheap tools, learned that from experience. Spend the 40 bucks for a good set of titanium nitride allen wrenches and you will never break one or strip a screw. Buy a decent temp guage and your engine will love you for it. Buy a decent radio that will never need upgrading with decent servos that will work without breaking. It really all comes down to "you get what you pay for". Spending the money in the beginning means all you will spend later is for fuel and misc. stuff.
I agree 125%. You definately get what you pay for.
I have a trainer plane, and needed a radio, and instead of buying a cheap radio and gear, I spent $250 on a 7 channel HiTec with model memory and otehr features I knew I would need. I coulda saved money and bought a cheep $100 radio, and after a few months and a new plane bought a new cheap $100 radio, but now I have all I need for a real long time.