Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Removing Masks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Masks!

I just painted my first body and this is my first time using an airbrush. I've applied 4 coats of paint keeping it thinthin and it looks good right now. I waited at least a half hour between coats. My question is, Should I remove the masks (Other than window masks) now or can I wait about 24 hours when I hope to paint the next color I want? I would like to let it dry abit but I'm getting tired and if it won't hurt to wait untill tomorrow then I'll clean my brush and call it a night. I doubt I'll post pictures of my first try because you guys have some real skills, maybe I will get to that point one day but right now I'm just learning. I'm an old dog learning new tricks so please be patient with me. Thanks in advance, Steve.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Removing Masks!

on the bodies i paint i wait till the next day to remove the mask, as for your skills dont put yourself down, i paint bodies that i think look great and someone else thinks it looks like crap. you can look at my gallery to see some of the bodies i have painted, by the way what kind of body are you painting truck or car??and yes please post some pics.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Thanks, Ranger1,
I didn't know if I could wait so I pulled my masks last night. It worked out well. I'm painting a 1970 Cuda body for my Warhead EVO.
The body color is Fasescent Purple with Spastix mirror chrome flames, bumpers, blower and side pipes. I got some time tonight and shot the chrome and I think it looks good. Tomorrow, if I get time, I will shoot one more layer of chrome on entire body and back in black and seal. So far I'm happy with the results but I'm worried about cutting the excess off. I have a new set of curved body scissors that I've never used but reading some posts on here about jagged edges etc., makes me nervous but I'll fiquire it out. I checked out your gallery, great work!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM

thanks for the coments, and take your time and it will all work out for the best. and i would like to see how the body turns out in the end, and if you ever have any questions on painting please throw me an e-mail. i will be happy to help you as much as i can,
Old 05-02-2008, 08:00 PM

I'm starting to like the way this car looks. I finished the chrome and I think it came out pretty good. Next I plan on backing everything with black and then remove the window masks and then cut it out. I read somewhere to use rattle can Krylon flat black and that will back and seal it at the same time, Is this correct? If it isn't I have Createx black and parma sealer. By the way I was painting the chrome on the deck and somehow managed to knock the bottle over and now I have some chrome areas of wood. It's time to pressure wash it anyways. I also ended up with it on my fingers and found out it came off very easily with some alcohol and the soap and water. I left it on two of my finger nails to show my wife. She won't let me mask off her nails to shoot them with chrome! I even told her I would fade in little screaming skulls on each finger! I think she's now afraid to come near me when I have an airbrush in my hand. I'll probably post pics of this car when it's done and let you guys give me some constructive critisim.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 PM

i use pactra black or white to seal the paint when im done, i dont like to use not rc paint on the bodies, as for your wife tell her to give it a chance and see how it comes out, as for the deck i dont know if it will come off after it dries, but yes please post pics after you finish i would like to see the finished product,
Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM

Today I finally finished my first body or just about finished. I like it. It's not perfect but it's mine. I took a few quick pics before it got dark but I don't know how to post them. They're not the best pictures anyway. I had fun doing this body and have two more to do. My kids and grandchildren got me 3 bodys for Christmas and shortly after that I got an airbrushand have been reading and practicing since then. If it gets sunny in the next few days and I get the time I'll try to get some good pictures and hopefully find out how to post them.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Ok. I think I have fiquired out how to do this If not I'll try again. Try not to be too hard on me this is my first body and first airbush try!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM

I'm about ready to finish this body and then try to get some better photos but I'm torn between putting the window decals on or leaving it the way it is. I'm leaning towards leaving it but can't decide. I'ld like some opinions, thanks, Steve
Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 PM

wow... that is just fantastic.... seriously...

as for the decals, I'd leave it as it is... imho
Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 PM

** sorry, double post **
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. I like it the way it is too. I was starting to think that I was the only one who could see the pictures. I just started a new thread because I changed my mind on which car this is going on and my Havoc looks perfect. Now I just need to figure out where to drill the holes for the body mounts. I wish I would have thought of this before I painted it! It would have been easy to mark the holes. Once it's done I'll post some better pictures.