Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

First Paint Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:42 PM
danielgm55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Paint Disaster

Hello,
i am new to painting and my first experience was horrible. I attempted to use the "change/colors" paint. I coated the shell at least 4 times because the paint appeared to be so light. Aftwards i backed it with silver, hoping that it would bring the colors out but it still appeared very light. Can some one tell me what i am doing wrong.

thx
Old 06-07-2008, 04:49 PM
yeatesy

Default RE: First Paint Disaster

Don't worry... i attempted my first paint job this week... It's good from afar, but far from good. Sorry i haven't had any experience with the colour change stuff on RC shells, i just started on the easy stuff...

Hope it turns out ok, would love to see some pics when you're finished

-Yeatesy-
Old 06-07-2008, 05:38 PM
rican25

daniel the color change stuff is just an overcoat really. you should have spayed that stuff then sprayed your color of choice over that then sealed it with another color
so it goes... 1. color change stuff, 2. your desired color, 3. a color that will enhance your color (I would use a gold or silver here) and 4 is optional but you can back it with white or black depending on the look youre going for.
that color change stuff allows your color to appear to change colors is all...
in your case the silver was doing the flip/flop effect when in fact a darker color usually works best.
try different combos like the color change stuff (cant remember the name of this stuff to save my life right now) then a candy based color or two tone it
I saw a 300m two toned and color change effect done and it looked really nice.
hope this helps
Old 06-08-2008, 03:02 PM
danielgm55

thanx,
it makes more sense now..think i'll give it a try today.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
rawvoodoo

try backing with black. All the weirdies are very translucent like that...pearls, candies, color change, chrome You can experiment with colors. Candy red over blue gives a nice deep purple for example. You can use anything clear like a cd case or some extra lexan (if your body has enough flash trim it off first) to experiment on I used a spaztix gold to red change for this one and backed it with black. It looksawesome in the sun but its hard to capture with still pics. Look on the label too it will usually give a suggestion of what type of backing to use (light or dark)

Also use lots of light coats to add some depth to the paintjob especially with the color change or candies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95716.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	966884  
Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 AM
rican25

daniel, glad to help now make sure you post pics when youre done.... even if you think it didnt turn out that good, helps to see what we are talking about so everyone can help you better.. you might want to explain the steps you took too. and remember when painting the prep work makes it or breaks it.....