Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Am I wasting my time with this compressor???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Am I wasting my time with this compressor???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Captain DeadStick
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I wasting my time with this compressor???

I know there are numerous threads on compressors, and I've looked through lots of them. I am a complete newb to airbrushing and am not looking to spend tons of cash right away but I do want equipment that doesn't frustrate me and make me quit before I get started. Is this compressor any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92403

I don't want something that will let me make 2 quick brush passes and then stop to wait for the compressor to catch up, or even worse give me inconsistent splatters. I'm sure I can manage that on my own without the equipment helping. Some input would be great. Am I better off getting a big tank and refilling it every now and then? Thanks guys.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Am I wasting my time with this compressor???

I'd go with something more like this : http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95275

Not sure about the quality of that exact one, but you can find decent ones on sale quite often at places like sears or home depot.

Check out this video VVV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTn7T2qNV0k&feature=user
Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Captain DeadStick
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the info! Any idea if a small compressor like the one I mentioned cut out on me frequently as I'm painting with such a small tank, or will I be able to go for a few minutes at a time without worry?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

It depends on the consumption of your gun.

EG: my Iwata HP-CS uses 0.4 CFM @ 35 PSI

the pancake compressor I linked provides 1.0 CFM @ 40 PSI

The airbrush compressor you linked has a max 30 PSI, but does not list a rate so It is really hard to say.

also, the airbrush compressor you linked does not mention an adjustable regulator, so you either have to buy one, or you just have to use it at 30 psi.

Check your airbrushes manual for the optimal pressure.

Thing with an airbrush compressor is that it has no tank, so It won't really "go and cut out" it will go constantly, but it may not have enough flow for high CFM airbrushes/spray guns.

Sorry I can't give you a definate answer.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 AM
musclecar64

I would not recommend a pancake compressor. Airbrush compressors are very quiet, and those regular compressors are supposed to be very loud. I would recommend an airbrush compressor with a tank. The tank would cut down on the time spent waiting for the pressure to build back up. Take a look at the TC-20T at airbrush-depot.com. I have one, and really like it. It's more expensive, but I think it's worth it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 PM
snipermaster
My Feedback: (19)

check out airbrushcity.com they have some really nice airbrushes as well as compressers on there. thats where im going to get mine at.